House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TTD

Would You Hire An Estate Agent Who Didn't Wear Formal?

Talking about casual dress at the office the other day, and considered that EA is one sector where the collar & tie look still rules, for the blokes at least.....

Would you hire an EA if he turned up at your house in casual wear? Polo shirt/chinos? T-shirt/jeans?

(Note I'm only considering the male of the species, because, try as I might, I can't tell when some women are wearing casual or formal....... )

Guest X-QUORK

It depends, I might do if he'd also decided against sporting the usual EA w@nker hairstyle.

I think there are some professions where a suit is still essential. Effectively anything to do with sales, as sales is all about presentation, if somebody (in this case an EA) doesn't have the ability to present themselves in the best manner you might imagine they won't present what they are selling (your house) in the best manner.

At the root it wouldn't bother me one way or the other, but I imagine it would bother other people and seeing as the agent is selling my house to those people then I'd prefer he wore one.

Talking about casual dress at the office the other day, and considered that EA is one sector where the collar & tie look still rules, for the blokes at least.....

Would you hire an EA if he turned up at your house in casual wear? Polo shirt/chinos? T-shirt/jeans?

(Note I'm only considering the male of the species, because, try as I might, I can't tell when some women are wearing casual or formal....... )

It would probably look better than the shiny polyester suits they usually wear.

That's a point; if he turned up in some grotty Topman number with the label still on the cuff, I'd be forced to throw him out.

I have had this discussion with my 20 year old son.I tend to dress smart casual but he says that smartness isn't important.I think this may be an age thing.

I have had this discussion with my 20 year old son.I tend to dress smart casual but he says that smartness isn't important.I think this may be an age thing.

No.It's an ignorance-of-twenty-year-olds-thing.

Guest theboltonfury

There is a big difference between casual and smart casual.

the usual uniform of overly waxed hoxton fin haircut, cheap suit, enormous cheap watch and footballers fat knot tie has always irritated the f*ck out of me

would prefer chino's and a decent polo but t shirt and jeans would wind me up tbh

attitude is far more important in my view and sadly in my experience EA's attitudes tends to match their crass visual image perfectly; those cocks who work at Foxtons in particular, who's fake **** overly hyped up demeanour seems to indicate they want you to think they've just done a fat line of coke in their mini before meeting you.

the higher end older guys who dress impeccably can be total *****ers too tho, so I guess it's just a by product of the 'profession'

Guest X-QUORK
the higher end older guys who dress impeccably can be total *****ers too tho, so I guess it's just a by product of the 'profession'

Making money by telling lies and manipulating "punters" must have a corrosive effect on the soul eventually.

The guy selling my house must look and act like Alec Baldwin (real estate salesman) in Glen Garry Glen Ross.

Also has to drive a 80K BMW and wear a watch that costs more than an an average persons car.

There is a big difference between casual and smart casual.

And I've never yet had a member of staff capable of discerning the difference on their own. As soon as the word casual is mentioned they hear 'turn up looking like you're on day release from as grunge rock band'.

its the spiky designer haircuts with the ends tinted blond on an under 25yr old ....BOY.... ,...... that's what make's me want to bitch slap ....!

the one where you cant see one of the eyes because of the effin tinted fringe ...held in place by half a can of harmony , or whatever chemical is used these days ......! I can smell it ....astringent in the air

it really gets my goat .... dunno why ..irrational .......maybe I was abused in my sleep ... the hate is like a subliminal thing... it builds and builds

Even on Sainsburys checkout's where they have been told to ask me ...."How I am today "

I bite my tongue ...... I don't trust my self to speak ...just bar code the 10 bottles of white lightening ...and leave me alone .......I think ..

... be best ................! for you ...............and for me

mumble ... sokay

and ...shiny lightweight suits ...grey

...... got shiny lightweight minds ....grey

how does this fill me with confidence ? .....

................................................................................

and sunglasses .... on the head ...like a bloody hair band

in winter

and driving gloves , the ones with out the fingers, when the EA takes you to the different houses .....

and those Christmas tree car air fresheners that smell of pine ....

and he's got a BMW which I'm going to part pay for if buy this house ......

my wallet squeals

edit

I'm happier if its a woman ...and no ...I cant tell if its casual or not either

It depends, I might do if he'd also decided against sporting the usual EA w@nker hairstyle.

When I last sold I hired the EA (out of 2) who wore a non-spivvy suit with a non-loud, non-fat, non-shiny tie, and didn't wear hair gel.

He was still rubbish. :(

But at least his commission was lower than the other's (fat pink shiny tie, sticky-up gelled hair)

They should all dress like this IMO. Theyre going to need all the help they can get in the afterlife. Wretched deviant duplicituous corrupt worthless scumbag property peddling lieing moronic souls that they are.

burkaburberryAP_450x350.jpg

When I have used a land agent, they have all worn Smart Casual - Chinos and polo shirt. I'm sure they wear this to try and relax the land owner whose land we are trying to buy. I never cease to be amazed at the prices these land agents have got land for - prime development land in Weybridge, sufficient for two semis - £40,000.

A small plot of land in Berkhamstead - £5,000.

These were just rediculously low prices, we had allowed for 5 times these amounts.