House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loginandtonic

Money Saving Expert Is No Spelling Expert

From Money-Saving Expert's newsletter...

Three weeks ago, I wrote an open letter to David Cameron here. The Tories had publically said bank charges were unfair, so I asked them if bank charges should be repaid without people needing to ask (read the open letter).

We sent it to his office & parliament, but haven't heard a dicky bird. Yet the leader of the Lib Dems, Nick Clegg MP spotted it...

"Dear Martin, as a subscriber to your weekly email, I saw your recent comments on unfair banking charges. I couldn't agree more with you about the scandalous nature of these charges.

The Liberal Democrats have taken a strong stance on this for a long time - in particular, in our manifesto for complete reform of Britain's banking and financial institutions 'A New Deal for the City', launched in May 2008 where we stated:

'The treatment of charges by the banks borders on the scandalous. It is a continuation of the practice described above: a protected industry seeking to maximise profits by exploiting the weakness of individual consumers who lack information and sophisticated knowledge of products or legal advice. The principle should be established that bank charges must be transparent and cost based.'

In your email, you made a further suggestion that banks should have to pay back all unfair charges automatically if the courts do rule against them. This struck me as an extremely good idea that we should...

- and more surprisingly, nobody pressed the spell-check button.

But this whole story makes me wonder if Cameron wants to be elected. They don't deny they will probably continue QE, they don't answer influential PUBLICLY known campaigners like Lewis. Are things going to be so bad that Cameron doesn't want to be associated with those years?

PS it's dicky-bird, if you want to be 100% correct, otherwise dicky bird probably means a fowl that is feeling unwell.

mfln872l.jpg

a dicky bird