House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loginandtonic

My Kitemarked Carbon Monoxide Detector

Got a nice little c m detector, had it a good 6 years, its gone on 3 AAA batts all that time. from today it started to bleep every minute meaning time to discard.

yes discard. you're not supposed to change the batts.

when you get it new you put those 3 batts in and then put a cover on which is embossed "once fitted cannot be removed", cannot being in block capitals. is that the power of suggestion as mr hill would say, because as sure as eggs i removed it in about 9 seconds and replaced the batteries, unit seems to be working fine.

cover back on with no trouble, new batts installed.

so what am i missing here? whats it all about? is there something that now does indeed render this no longer fit for purpose?

cant understand why the elaborate "in the event of intermittent 1 min bleeps replace the detector immediately" rather than "get the cover off and put 3 new AAAs in" - profit cynicism or operational good reason??

i throw this open to the learned panel.

They are chemical-based (electrochemical/biomimetic).

Things dry up/evaporate/become denatured and so on.

Six or seven years would seem about right, they are using battery life as a proxy for timing it.

If you are bothered enough to have one in the first place, I'd be bothered enough to replace it.

They are chemical-based (electrochemical/biomimetic).

Things dry up/evaporate/become denatured and so on.

Six or seven years would seem about right, they are using battery life as a proxy for timing it.

If you are bothered enough to have one in the first place, I'd be bothered enough to replace it.

fair enough, i will get a new one, thanks for the advice