House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nigooner

Obel Tower

does anyone know when the obel tower is meant to be completed? i tried propertynews to see if any for sale, and get some info that way, but none popped up.

also, theres a lot of talk on the forums about people who paid a deposit off-plan on a flat in belfast a year or more ago, but now obviously dont want to complete, but i havent seen anyone mention their problems with the obel. was it mostly investors that bought them?

does anyone know when the obel tower is meant to be completed? i tried propertynews to see if any for sale, and get some info that way, but none popped up.

also, theres a lot of talk on the forums about people who paid a deposit off-plan on a flat in belfast a year or more ago, but now obviously dont want to complete, but i havent seen anyone mention their problems with the obel. was it mostly investors that bought them?

It was sold very early on. Whilst the sale prices are probably below value at the moment it may not be as bad as those sold closer to the peak. I think there still is a phase to be sold.

“Belfast is benefiting from a spillover from the Celtic tiger,†he says. “The republic is now the third-richest economy in the world, per capita. If you couple that with the peace dividend, you have a unique growth factor.

:lol:

As recently as 2005, flats in Belfast's Obel tower – currently under construction on the banks of the Lagan – were valued at between £90,000 and £475,000.

But the main developer behind the tower has told the News Letter that because of the "incredible" rise in the property market, prices have been increased to between £160,000 and £725,000.

developers have scope to discount heavily then and still make £.

Hopefully not too OT but the Obel marketing tickled me so much the first time around that I thought that it would be worth posting again.

obel_marketing.JPG

We encourage people to live with their head in the clouds

Never a truer word said in jest. :lol:

You kinda feel sorry for the buyers with a strapline like that.

And just across the Lagan you'll be able to look out at people in the Titanic Quarter with their head in the sand!

post-11694-1250021474_thumb.jpg

Edited by paul65

do you all think these are more desirable? i dont live in belfast, but if i did i would probably fancy one of these more than the TQ flats...it would save a twenty min walk from the TQ to the city centre! surely thats the whole idea of an apartment in belfast, to be in the city. i can understand why flats in big cities cost so much but are still quite far out from the city, but belfasts so small (relativle to major UK cities).

i remember reading the marketing pdf that was posted on this thread, but cant remember what size the rooms were like. i presume slave-box-esque like any other development.

I remember in TQ and Obel blurb both mentioned that there would be postboxes in commnal area.. If I've shelled out £800k for penthouse in TQ or £700k in Obel (26th floor) etc (I dont care how fast the lift is!) I dont see it as luxury having to traipse down to collect post from communal post area etc - ok, on work days you collect it when headin back in evenings...

What about credit card/signed collections etc?

it wouldnt be a problem if a concierge was provided altho this has to be paid for from service charge

the other problem is in belfast its a complete joke. i see apartments called penthouse cos they are top floor in a 3 story block. people from other countries must think we are loonies.

a penthouse to me is top floor with an outside area space which might even be on a par with the internal space

like this what a joke;

http://www.propertynews.com/brochure.php?r...&sort=added

that is a penthouse

http://www.propertynews.com/brochure.php?r...=1&sort=h2l

im well off topic here , but ive a friend in malaysia (he rants and raves about the place, i cant help think hes right it does seem a place on the up as we slowly fall into the abyss) anyway in Penang £200k would get you a resale easy in this development

http://www.penangproperties.com/apartment/...ove/thecove.htm

just a look at the floorplan has me wanting to move there

the penthouse in that development is £500k and is 11,300 square feet!

Edited by getdoon_weebobby

Yep, Obel advertised 24hr concierge right enough - I've spotted you in the london threads, so you're well aware of the service charges issues..

have given up my flat in london but we had one. most new builds do also act as security amongst other functions. plus if u have a lot of flats it really aint too much IF you have a property management company that dont rip you off.

whats one guy working 9-5 and sat morning between loads of flats. ours a guy worked 9-5 and sat mornings. service charge about £100 a month. including grounds lifts gym upkeep etc

bigger developments can have someone 24 hours

it wouldnt be a problem if a concierge was provided altho this has to be paid for from service charge

the other problem is in belfast its a complete joke. i see apartments called penthouse cos they are top floor in a 3 story block. people from other countries must think we are loonies.

a penthouse to me is top floor with an outside area space which might even be on a par with the internal space

like this what a joke;

http://www.propertynews.com/brochure.php?r...&sort=added

that is a penthouse

http://www.propertynews.com/brochure.php?r...=1&sort=h2l

im well off topic here , but ive a friend in malaysia (he rants and raves about the place, i cant help think hes right it does seem a place on the up as we slowly fall into the abyss) anyway in Penang �200k would get you a resale easy in this development

http://www.penangproperties.com/apartment/...ove/thecove.htm

just a look at the floorplan has me wanting to move there

the penthouse in that development is �500k and is 11,300 square feet!

Firstly, that "head in the clouds" advert is priceless...

That condo looks great. I spent time in Malaysia and Singapore and lived in Bangkok, Thailand Weebobby. Penang is quite nice, but it seems a place more for the older expat. It all depends on what you want to do, and how you want to live.

Samui Villa This villa is just ridiculous in Samui for size and luxury. It seems to be used for very short term rentals and rich holiday makers at 1200USD per night!!!...

or this... Taking the p*ss for luxury

I reckon you are talking well over a million quid for somewhere like this...

I preferred Thailand to Singapore and Malaysia, just as it was much more fun IMHO, and there was never a dull moment...I lived President Park/Capitol Club here in Bangkok...and it was resonably priced for what you get. The Capitol club was free of use for residents of President Park as they are the same place basically. They have a serviced apartmentswing but the four towers are mostly made up of condos. Had squash courts, tennis, fantastic gym, four swimming pools(outdoor), large area around with plantations for a more natural feel, steam rooms, jacuzzis, spa, bar, good food available to order around the pool area...and after a hard day you can get a great massge for 1-2 hours for £5

As Jim Rogers as been saying, the savings and the capitol base is now in Asia, and historically the action always goes to where the money is. I think he is right. There was always a motorcycle taxi guy waiting outside the condo to take you to the skytrain, there was a supermarket under the condo, and loads of great restaurants,street food, cafes just around the area...Asia is quite a spontaneous place to live. Even if you wanted that in the UK, you just can't get it, and if you did have it, well, how much would you pay for it. Condos in this place could be had for between £140,000(3 bedroom) up to and over £200,000, all depends on how well finished the condo is. I look at value not only in price but what you get for the price. As you say some of those places in Belfast that say they are condos are jokes, and those apartments around Belmont road area at over £500,000, what do you get for the money? Nothing...Same with those places In Florida you listed, much better value...

Not only is the NI/UK a bubble in price, but they are also over valued for what you get for your money.

Edited by VedantaTrader

I look at value not only in price but what you get for the price. As you say some of those places in Belfast that say they are condos are jokes, and those apartments around Belmont road area at over £500,000, what do you get for the money? Nothing...Same with those places In Florida you listed, much better value...

Not only is the NI/UK a bubble in price, but they are also over valued for what you get for your money.

far east has to be a better place for investment it just has to. where will we be in 20 years and where will they be? we will probably just of started to get rid of a big amount of the debt burden after a lost decade or 2. where as i can imagine these regions in the far east will be thriving.

thats another point. we look at average house prices and forget that the average UK house is half the size of the average house in many other countries. so not only might our prices be twice as much our houses are half the size

i think this is one of the reasons im so negative on northern ireland prices. i first compare with comparible cities in the mainland then with places like florida and the far east. the more you look the more out of whack they are.

MADNESS

I was on the M3 today driving home from work, noticed the big sign that has been unfurled down the side of the Obel - I think it said 'Please buy one of these'..?

Unfortunatly too many other people were obviously trying to read it too - there's going to be a crash if they're not careful, that sign shouldn't be up above such a busy intersection of motorway...

Are there any apartment marketing suites down at the Tall Ships - can't imagine they'd miss a trick to try and cash in on all those people being there??

'Please half the asking prices and I might buy one of these'