House Price Crash Forum

Radio 1 Newsbeat

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
:lol: What kind of advice are their parents giving them, FFS. :rolleyes:

Ohhh, you've got to get on the ladder love.

(And saddle yourself with unspeakable debt so you have to work hard and pay lots of taxes so I can be looked after in my dotage. Oh, and thanks for propping up the value of my main asset too. That will come in handy when I release the equity to pay for a cruise or two).

HOLA446
I heard that on the radio. They said house prices were more realistic now. It's about time the BBC faced up to their part in causing the downturn in the first place by scaremongering to sell papers.

What??????????

Err the BBC don't sell papers and they were one of the biggest rampers around

HOLA447
The government should do more to help, getting rid of the stamp duty is pointless when noone can get a mortgage! Instead they should be giving grants to first time buyers to try and get the housing market going again. Without first time buyers nothing will change the current economic situation

QE direct to FTBers? MIRAS esq?

HOLA448
Wez James, 21, has been saving for years but can only get a mortgage deal with a 20% deposit. He told Newsbeat: "It's unfair, frustrating, very stressful, nearly impossible for a first time buyer like myself on an average wage to have any chance of getting a property."

I mentioned this scenario in a previous thread.

Wez was 11 years old, yes just 11 years old before HPI really took off and banks were lending money to anyone that could 'fog a mirror' (thanks FP). This is Wez's limited knowledge on mortgages and bank business.

:ph34r:

Edited by bomberbrown

HOLA449

Wez was 11 years old, yes just 11 years old before HPI really took off and banks were lending money to anyone that could 'fog a mirror' (thanks FP). This is Wez's limited knowledge on mortgages and bank business.

That makes me feel so old.

HOLA4410
Added: Tuesday, 11 August, 2009, 13:00 GMT 14:00 UK

If banks allow a smaller deposit and house prices slide again or job cuts get worse then we will all be in a worse position as bank losses rise. Remember that is what caused this crisis in the first place.

I do feel sorry for first time buyers but it was not that different in the mid 90's when I bought my first place. Still needed a large deposit and did a huge amount of saving whilst my mates were in better cars then mine and going out every night. You can't have it all.

Andrew Morgan, Trowbridge, United Kingdom

Alert a Moderator

??????????????????????????

Edited by Si1

HOLA4411

Yes, what a pillock he was, imagine not 'buying before it was too late'

Now he has missed the boat and deserves everything that is coming to him.

I would love to know just exactly how much a 21 has saved in the 'years' he has been saving and why on earth he is expecting to buy a house.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Yes, what a pillock he was, imagine not 'buying before it was too late'

Now he has missed the boat and deserves everything that is coming to him.

I would love to know just exactly how much a 21 has saved in the 'years' he has been saving and why on earth he is expecting to buy a house.

I seriously think, that he believes that house prices only ever go up and that he will make money out of it the quicker he gets on the ladder. It's all he's ever known unless he's looked at historical patterns, in which case, he's an idiot! <_<:lol:

HOLA4415
I heard that on the radio. They said house prices were more realistic now. It's about time the BBC faced up to their part in causing the downturn in the first place by scaremongering to sell papers.

What, like the BBC should own up to there part in scaremongering people into buying by sensationalising rising prices throughout the boom??? :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway, I wanna know how they can make a sweeping statement that house prices are more realistic now? That's a bit subjective isn't it? If the people wanting to buy can't raise a 20pct deposit then obviously they aren't more reealistic are they! (I do wish people would get this idea out of their heads that they shouldn't have to put down around 20pct in order to borrow. This 20pct deposit thing finally shows that banks are acting responsibly - they shouldn't be criticised for that!)

HOLA4416
What, like the BBC should own up to there part in scaremongering people into buying by sensationalising rising prices throughout the boom??? :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway, I wanna know how they can make a sweeping statement that house prices are more realistic now? That's a bit subjective isn't it? If the people wanting to buy can't raise a 20pct deposit then obviously they aren't more reealistic are they! (I do wish people would get this idea out of their heads that they shouldn't have to put down around 20pct in order to borrow. This 20pct deposit thing finally shows that banks are acting responsibly - they shouldn't be criticised for that!)

Yep. if 20% deposits (rather than 125% mortgages) had been then norm then we would not have been in half as much a mess as we are now. I suppose then the morons would not feel as wealthy as they think they do now and would probably have kicked the Labour party out at the last election as the incompetance would not have been so easily masked.

HOLA4417