House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pick It Down

Favourite Boozers

What makes a good pub..for me it's one that always has at least three real ales/cider on, is fairly cheap, feels like it's been there for centuries and is a bit dingy, ideally with a great beer garden, and yet still has a TV or several for essential sporting events. It does fairly decent (but not necessarily exceptional) food or is otherwise next door to a chippy. Has a pool table for no more than 50p/game.

So here's a few that come to mind.

Swindon - The Steam Railway Company

Aberystwyth - The Mill

Leeds - The Eldon

Caersws - The Black Lion

Ben Crouches Tavern - London. Spooky atmosphere.

The Golden Fleece - York (ditto)

My local - it has a 'million-song' jukebox.

A country pub with no pool table or darts or bandit machines. A nice roaring fire in the winter, some cosy armchairs, good home cooked food, good beer and wine. Oh, and the staff should be friendly and attentive. Unfortunately, any pub that is that good will be so packed, you won't be able to get in.

Guest X-QUORK

Rural, beer garden, real fire, real ales, basic but well cooked food and live music now and again. If in town, a pub with at least 200 hundred years history and oak panels.

Cask and Glass on palace street, Victoria. one of the smallest pubs you'll ever go in, but you never wait long to get served, its reasonable (for London) and has fair selection of ales and very pretty (I think Polish) barmaids.

Fat Cat in Norwich - Some nice beers & ales to be had there!

The Woods End, Bramerton

Loads of strong real ales/cider on tap

Woodefords brewery couple of miles away plus Adnams etc

Log fires in winter + reasonable grub

A great walk (to see how sober you still are!)

Bird watcher? (both varieties :rolleyes: changes summer to winter)

Free swimming too(webbed feet?) - if you get chucked in!

Moor your boat up outside the front for a weekend sesh!

If you get really 'wrecked' you can book in for the night too!

A 'LOCAL' pub! (plus the occasional 'jammy' broads tourists find it!)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sour...sVAA&dtab=7

What makes a good pub..for me it's one that always has at least three real ales/cider on, is fairly cheap, feels like it's been there for centuries and is a bit dingy, ideally with a great beer garden, and yet still has a TV or several for essential sporting events. It does fairly decent (but not necessarily exceptional) food or is otherwise next door to a chippy. Has a pool table for no more than 50p/game.

Aberystwyth - The Mill

Leeds - The Eldon

Caersws - The Black Lion

This is a good blog for pubs in London. Full descriptions and directions.

http://londonlovesbooze.wordpress.com/

The Surprise in Chelsea, now sadly gone.... along with many other fine ale houses sacrificed to this country's love affair with cheap beer and pub conversion slave boxes.

Some form of mummified remains and a wide selection of Polish barmaids, as any visitant to The Haunch of Venison in Salibury, Wilts. could tell you.

Good Man, I've been known to prop that bar up once or twice.

I'd add:

The British Lion - Devizes

The Turfcutters Arms - East Boldre - New Forest

Fond Memories:

The George - Norton St Philip

The Ironbridge - Ironbridge

Pubs were once a place one could visit for a decent pint of real ale from barrels racked up behind the bar, a decent log fire in Winter and mainly easy non-confrontational conversation.

Food meant pickled eggs, walnuts and years ago in the more rural areas, such as Badger Hams: one might find a decent pub that served rare bloody roast beef sandwiches made with crusty bread baked in the baker just along the road: or ham, or decent strong well matured proper cheddar.

The last good pubs I knew were in parts of more rural Suffolk and Norfolk and Wiltshire.

Some old beams helped too.

Then they went through a metamorphised into the "Company" pub: with sterile chrome and glass, games machines, one-armed bandits, wide screen TVs, and any beams are made from fibreglass.

Real ale has become as rare as hen's teeth.

Even if it's stocked, few pubs know how to cellar and keep it: let alone serve it properly.

Welcome to New Improved Great Britain with Secret Additive, SH1t!

Aberystwyth - The Mill

Leeds - The Eldon

Caersws - The Black Lion

Seems about spot-on if you leave out the TV. Only other thing I would add to the list is one or two pretty, young and convivial female serving staff in revealing, but not overly so, attire.

The rougher the better, spit & sawdust, obligatory pool table and 'jukey' set to pre-1980.

Sir Charles Napier, Blackburn

The Struggling Man, Dudley

or

The Rising Sun, Elephant & Castle

Is that the one Albert Pierrepoint ran?

One that you can smoke in!

You know, even though I've never been a smoker (save for a very, very, very occasional cigar once a decade and having tried cigarettes on a couple of occasions and being totally unimpressed), I have to say that I do miss a filthy, smoky pub for some inexplicable reason. Just isn't the same without it and far, far better than the smell of stale beer, air-freshener and, if you sit next to the bogs, p1ss.

There is an excellent boozer in this vid.

But to appreciate it you have to spend the whole of a sunny afternoon there, with a few good mates, getting pissed and playing all the games and after a while, making a lot of noise. It's better if there are a few grumpy old bastards resenting you having a good time. There needs to be an unspoken, ungrasped consensus that you should all be doing something better and what you need more than anything is an infinity of life stretching before you to do that something better.

The wasted afternoons of youth, getting mullahed in a proper boozer and smoking a pack of fags without a care in the world, quietly nursing a broken heart, those were my favourites.

They are gone now and maybe what's replaced them is better. Maybe it isn't but those were my favourites.