HOLA441
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
Hmm, indeed. Better than -2.4 wasn't it?

Let me ask you which you think the biggest number is, -2.4 or -0.8?

you, my virtual internet key tapper, have been free thought sterilised by the media. They are so good at it that you don't even realise. :ph34r:

ps - after you have worked out 'free thought sterilised', look up 'GDP downward revisions'. ;)

Edited by grumpy-old-man-returns

HOLA443
HOLA444

I still think we will see 2,995 on the FTSE this year. I have always felt that it would happen around late Oct to end of Nov time.

My gut feeling tells me this is going to happen and I have learnt to listen to my instincts.

I, of course, may well be completely wrong but will be happy to admit it come January 1st 2010... although, in the past, markets have crashed at the begining of the year... but my gut tells me that something awful will happen to the economy and the market this Autumn.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
All it says to me is that we're coming out of recession. I don't know what the hell you people see with your blinkers.

All it says to me is that the rate of decline in the first quarter was unsustainable in the face of the bailouts and QE. Don't forget had the first quarter's figure been the decline for the whole year it would have represented a pretty bad recession. Last quarter's figure is an annualised fall of 3.2% - that is plenty bad enough to keep this recession going for a good while yet.

HOLA448
All it says to me is that we're coming out of recession. I don't know what the hell you people see with your blinkers.

You're another one who'll come and go when the going gets tough (again).

In the meantime enjoy your limelight. If you're really good you'll get some orange hair!

Seen it all before. Good day to you.

HOLA449

Not long now. British retail consortium today announced like for like sales up 1.8%.

Apparently people are buying new furniture for the houses they just bought. :)

HOLA4410
Not long now. British retail consortium today announced like for like sales up 1.8%.

are you sure people are not simply spending more on food?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
What the hell does that mean? Sodomy non sapiens. ;)

Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorum

literally,

As was upon beginning, and now, and always, and into eternity

paraphrased,

As it was, it is, and ever shall be.

HOLA4413
Yep GDP rose from -2.4 to -0.8, last quarter. The largest rise for years, but the recession is still going on in your head and will no doubt continue for some years to come.

I've had a long think about how you could make a statement like this and can only assume that you misunderstand the figures as follows:

You think that the GDP figure of -2.4 means that the size of the economy is 2.4% less than it was at a fixed moment in time, let's say start of 2009.

You subsequently think that the latest GDP figure of -0.8 means the size of the economy is now only 0.8% less than it was at the start of 2009.

So, this leads you to believe that GDP fell 2.4% then increased by 1.65%

HOLA4414
What the hell does that mean? Sodomy non sapiens. ;)

It is part of a Roman Catholic prayer...

GLORIA PATRI, et Filio, et Spiritui Sancto. Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorum. Amen. ...

As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, without end. Amen

HOLA4415

I see a mountain of household, government and corporate debt, too big to pay off, too difficult to inflate away. I see a country full of green fields and scrubby wasteland in which houses are still bafflingly unaffordable for the average family. I see Chinese people working 14 hours a day so that we can have cheaper low-quality plastic goods, shipped halfway round the world using oil that is running out. I see dozens of journalists and millions of people assuming, because they were only born in 1970, that the events of 1929-1933 and 1939-1945 can never happen again.

If you think we are in for 10 years of economic growth, increasing standards of living and world peace, fine. I don't.

HOLA4416

It's textiles apparently. Maybe people believe we are back to 2007 and that a few scatter cushions will make all the difference when they put their houses on the market (again)?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
I've had a long think about how you could make a statement like this and can only assume that you misunderstand the figures as follows:

You think that the GDP figure of -2.4 means that the size of the economy is 2.4% less than it was at a fixed moment in time, let's say start of 2009.

You subsequently think that the latest GDP figure of -0.8 means the size of the economy is now only 0.8% less than it was at the start of 2009.

i think you make the mistake of thinking thought was involved in its thinking process.

most likely, it processes the information and proceeds to proclaim the process is increasing.

HOLA4419
Congrats to blo lo. Raising the bar to new heights of delusion. ;)

not so.

The FTSE 100 was launched on 3 January 1984 and had a start value of 1,000.0. Since then the make-up of the index has changed almost beyond recognition - mergers, takeovers and disappearing companies have all meant the index only has 21 of the original constituents left in it underlining the indexs purpose of acting as a barometer of market activity. A fair number of constituents have changed their names too remember Midland Bank (HSBC), Commercial Union Assurance (Aviva), Reckitt & Colman (Reckitt Benckiser) and British Gas (now BG Group and Centrica).

Of course, the index must be changed to make sure it still reflects the top 100 companies listed on the LSE if it wasnt, we would still have an index containing companies such as Trafalgar House and Rowntree Mackintosh. These changes happen once a quarter, although if there are takeovers or mergers in between these times affecting companies in the FTSE 100, the index will be changed accordingly. The process for reviewing the index is straightforward all companies listed on the LSE and eligible for the FTSE UK indices are ranked in order of their size, or market capitalisation (calculated by multiplying the number of issued shares of a company and the current share price).

HOLA4420

but surely when plotted out GDP against time, it can be viewed as a rise

HOLA4421
not so.

The FTSE 100 was launched on 3 January 1984 and had a start value of 1,000.0. Since then the make-up of the index has changed almost beyond recognition - mergers, takeovers and disappearing companies have all meant the index only has 21 of the original constituents left in it underlining the indexs purpose of acting as a barometer of market activity. A fair number of constituents have changed their names too remember Midland Bank (HSBC), Commercial Union Assurance (Aviva), Reckitt & Colman (Reckitt Benckiser) and British Gas (now BG Group and Centrica).

Of course, the index must be changed to make sure it still reflects the top 100 companies listed on the LSE if it wasnt, we would still have an index containing companies such as Trafalgar House and Rowntree Mackintosh. These changes happen once a quarter, although if there are takeovers or mergers in between these times affecting companies in the FTSE 100, the index will be changed accordingly. The process for reviewing the index is straightforward all companies listed on the LSE and eligible for the FTSE UK indices are ranked in order of their size, or market capitalisation (calculated by multiplying the number of issued shares of a company and the current share price).

fwiw, do you know I wasn't aware of that until Noel pointed that out to me about 3 months ago.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Congrats to blo lo. Raising the bar to new heights of delusion. ;)

Strictly speaking he is correct, not deluded.

An analogous situation would be an inflation measuring basket of goods, where goods that have inflated are dropped out of the basket and replaced with goods that haven't. Thus inflation be that measure remains constant even if day to day cost of living spirals to the sky.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425