House Price Crash Forum

Welcome To 'rabbit Hutch Britain'

MattW

HOLA441
Cubix%20Floor%20Plan.jpg

What's wrong with that? Quite a nice bedroom with en-suite, that, wonder what the rest of the house is like...

On a different note, two things that bug me with new builds, are:-

1) So-called "townhouses". Built on three storeys so the stairs take up a quarter of the house. Just add a fire escape from the top floor and you've got yourself a helter skelter.

2) Garages. Okay, so technically the garage is big enough to take a car, but it'd be nice if you could then get out of the car using its doors instead of climbing out of the windows/sunroof/boot.

This is what I'd call an acceptable size of garage.

This isn't.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
What's wrong with that? Quite a nice bedroom with en-suite, that, wonder what the rest of the house is like...

On a different note, two things that bug me with new builds, are:-

1) So-called "townhouses". Built on three storeys so the stairs take up a quarter of the house. Just add a fire escape from the top floor and you've got yourself a helter skelter.

2) Garages. Okay, so technically the garage is big enough to take a car, but it'd be nice if you could then get out of the car using its doors instead of climbing out of the windows/sunroof/boot.

This is what I'd call an acceptable size of garage.

This isn't.

That is the garage, or, 'seperate wing'.

HOLA443
HOLA444
Except they can't, by law, government decrees that only high density rabbit hutches can be built and so that's what gets built, if you buy your own plot of land and try to do things your own way then you get declared a gypo, sued and eventually tear gassed :-

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php/site/article/6144/

People naively assume the housing 'market' is a free market, it's not, you get what you're given as determined by giant corporate house builders, rich land owners, social engineers and the government. Peoples' only real defence is to refuse to buy this junk all together, just as the housing associations refuse to buy sub-par junk, maybe questions are only now being asked by the powers that be because exactly that is now happening.

The lenders (well, some..) are waking up though. I went for a laugh to see these new builds last weekend:

http://www.thatchams.net/gallery/

189k (-5% 'discount') for a three bed guinea pig run. I spoke to the mortgage advisor on site, who stated "some providers don't mortgage against new builds". I knew that from being on here, but never thought I'd hear an advisor, especially one on a new build site, say such a thing. It was like a coded warning...

Apparently C&G were the best deal. 'Quel suprise'

HOLA445
The lenders (well, some..) are waking up though. I went for a laugh to see these new builds last weekend:

http://www.thatchams.net/gallery/

189k (-5% 'discount') for a three bed guinea pig run. I spoke to the mortgage advisor on site, who stated "some providers don't mortgage against new builds". I knew that from being on here, but never thought I'd hear an advisor, especially one on a new build site, say such a thing. It was like a coded warning...

Apparently C&G were the best deal. 'Quel suprise'

OK, that is a 3 bed family house, with the kitchen in the livinng room!!! Am I just old fashioned or what? Just a stud wall and a freakin' door please!

HOLA446
OK, that is a 3 bed family house, with the kitchen in the livinng room!!! Am I just old fashioned or what? Just a stud wall and a freakin' door please!

Bedrooms in these palces should be made smaller and could be especially wall mounted like the body drawers in a morgue, then you could easily have a 6 or 7 bedroomed hosue and it would you feel so wealthy

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest AuntJess
These organisations - late as ever to smell the coffee...

'Rabbit Hutch' Britain

Product getting smaller but producers charging more money. Nowt new there. It all started with Mars bars. <_<

As to housing families in these monstrosities: It will only add to the aggressive trends, already being nurtured by poor parenting and even poorer civil control.

I was brought up originally in a large terraced - then a council semi. The latter was well-proportioned and sported a lounge, dining room, large kitchen - with a larder - and washouse (now termed 'utility' :rolleyes: ). 3 beds - all with built in wardrobes, bathroom and separate toilet.

No garage - who the hell had a car in those days? - but there was a lot of room at the side for a hard standing.

I went in my niece's detached private residence on an up-market development, recently, and noted that her living area was almost half the one I grew up in - despite supposedly having FOUR bedrooms. :o

Edited by AuntJess

HOLA4411

Putting my Devil's Advocate head on, I thought - well, small living room, small kitchen - but they are comedy really. Like living in a 'Barbie & Ken Get Married' house.

Funny thing though was the place still had 3 toilets! (one down stairs, a family bathroom & an en-suite). Each of which I genuinely thought were quite nice & the best rooms in the house. Useful I suppose for when you sh1t yourself each month realising how much you'd paid for it.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

It's not just recently-built housing.

A couple of yrs ago I looked at a 2-bed flat in a small 1930s private block. It had been given a very cheaply done quick-lick by the developer who'd bought the whole block - the rooms were very small and the only built-in storage was a minute cupboard in the tiny passage that passed as a 'hall'. The kitchen was tiny.

Of course the show flat had been furnished with 'stylish' stuff (inc. the statutory vase of twigs/cushions on the beds) and that's enough to fool all too many. Daughter was doing Saturdays with local EA at the time and showed quite a few young FTBs around. Initial reaction was invariably, 'Ooh, this is nice!'

They all sold pretty fast.

It should be mandatory for FTBs to take someone more experienced with them, who will point out that if you move in with more than one large suitcase each you will be overflowing within half an hour.