House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stevee

North London Activity

Hi All

My wife and I have our house in Kent under offer and due to family reasons we have been looking to buy a house in North London somewhere around the Green Lanes, Haringay and Alexandra Palace areas for nearly a month now.

What's frustrating us though is that all the houses we get interested in go "under offer" in one or two days or sometimes hours. And that's even if Estate Agents ring back or arrange viewings - most of their attitudes are very offish.

Maybe there aren't enough properties on the market or maybe the Estate Agents' have queues of cash-buyers and aren't interested in someone with a house "under offer" needing a mortgage (albeit a small one in relation to the value of any intended purchase (approx 20%)).

Anyone have any current knowledge of this area and market that they'd be kind enough to share?

Thanks and regards

Steve

Hi All

My wife and I have our house in Kent under offer and due to family reasons we have been looking to buy a house in North London somewhere around the Green Lanes, Haringay and Alexandra Palace areas for nearly a month now.

What's frustrating us though is that all the houses we get interested in go "under offer" in one or two days or sometimes hours. And that's even if Estate Agents ring back or arrange viewings - most of their attitudes are very offish.

Maybe there aren't enough properties on the market or maybe the Estate Agents' have queues of cash-buyers and aren't interested in someone with a house "under offer" needing a mortgage (albeit a small one in relation to the value of any intended purchase (approx 20%)).

Anyone have any current knowledge of this area and market that they'd be kind enough to share?

Thanks and regards

Steve

I get the impression there are very few homes on the market in that area. The rental market, however, is oversupplied and rents are dropping. We managed to bag a house for the same rent as you would have paid for a 2-bed flat just a year ago. I'd recommend renting for a bit until there are more homes on the market.

Thanks Rain Man

I think you're on to something there. Spent yesterday trudging the streets round there and inbetween seeing some (overpriced) houses, spoke with some letting agents who seem to reflect your view - not enough property and a big rental market. In fact one of them had given up selling property recently because of a lack of it to sell.

Not giving up though, back to the search ...

Thanks again and regards

Steve

Edited by Stevee