House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Annoying Trojan Virus

Anybody else had this? Or found a better way of dealing with it.

I've got it from several regular news sites in the last few days , it doesn't come up immediately so I think it relates to the streaming video or adverts rather than the site itself (New York Post, Daily Mail).

It brings up a window with the usual "attention your computer is infected" / windows explorer guff before trying to get you to download a temp file, and brings up a dialogue box that prevents you closing the window.

It also puts a little shield with a red cross down at the bottom right with the icons which disappear when you kill it.

The only way I can get rid of it is by shutting down all programmes and then killing what's left (I think it was a .tmp) through task manager.

It managed to get three trojans on me the first time which I chopped with AVG and Defender killed one today but I will do a factory restore this week to be on the safe side.

Annoying and hitting what I would regard as safe mainstream sites. I would think it's catching a lot of people.

It managed to get three trojans on me the first time which I chopped with AVG and Defender killed one today

Sounds like an X box game.

If you have a clean machine and an infected machine, take the hard drive(s) out the infected machine, alter the jumpers so its configured to be a slave, plug into the clean machine, boot up the clean machine and scan the slave drive. put jumpers back to the way they were and plug back into the "infected" machine. Job Done!

Yep,I reckon thats the best way too.

If you don't have a spare drive or don't fancy opening up the case and pulling the drive out and/or losing the jumpers down the back of the settee etc you can use a proggy like 'Partition commander' to create a new bootable partition on your harddrive. Then install your OS onto that partition as well along with another copy of your antivirus/ anti malware apps.

Then boot to the new partition and run your AV etc over the infected partiton.

As your OS will not be active on the infected HD your AV will be able to scan and remove files that would normally be 'locked'.

I run a dual boot HD and I keep one bootable partition as a 'Rescue' partition.

Since doing so I have never had to reformat the HD to get rid of an infection.