House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CrashedOutAndBurned

Can't Afford A Kitchen - Beg For One!

The old 'beggars bagging megabucks' story hasn't been around since the early 90s recession but here it is again.

'Those aren't poor people - I saw one drive off in his beamer'.

So-called professional beggars are earning up to £200 a night on the streets, it has ben revealed. Skip related content

Related photos / videos

And police in Leicestershire added that numbers were growing and officers had cautioned 20 people for begging in the city centre in the first two weeks of a scheme to tackle the problem.

Officers discovered none of them were homeless.

Toni Soni, head of hostel services at Leicester City Council, said previous joint operations operations by them and police found no beggars to be homeless.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090810/tuk-s...ht-6323e80.html

He said: "There are people who are actually professional beggars who are doing it to make a living. If we did find that they were rough sleepers we would obviously attempt to engage them in our support services."

It emerged one woman begged at night after her day job to fund a new kitchen in her flat.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

There's a big issue seller in our town. She's been here at least two to three years. Reasonably turned out, arrives on the tube each morning at about half eight and knocks off sometime around 4 as far as I can tell.

I don't buy the magazine from her. My rationale is that it seems to be keeping her very well all things considered; if she doesn't have a home then there's a good availability for washing and cleaning facilities near her cardboard box. But then again, my Daily Mail head says if you only need a handful of English words then this is a viable occupation/career for a lazy non-English speaker. But it's also preventing a 'real' homeless person from selling the magazine and getting a step up in my town.

TFH

Yes, but we've always known this.

The question is: Why is this now in the press?

I suppose we'll soon find out.

To encourage those in financial trouble to do the responsible thing and beg. If I could go out and earn £200 a day tax free I'd quickly be able to pay down my mortgage.

All of those pennies add up.

Q. Where do beggers normally sit?

A. By a cashpoint on a Friday/Sat night

The cash point is a no brainier, a percentage of people take there card and walk away from a cash point without collecting the money. If you sit by a cash point you can get the money each time this happens. I see the occasional big issue seller at the weekends in the city centre, with new trainers, and some beggers at rush hours. BUT at all other times where do they go? It must be more interesting/less of a waste of time to disappear somewhere else at all other times (most of the day and night).

I do see drunks and druggies looking dirty meeting up chatting to each other in the street/walking around with alc, but they appear to be incapable or they don't have the drive to beg. This crowd walks down from the homeless shelter each morning and either already have alc or buys alcohol on the way, and they meet up in various places in the city drinking all day and smelling of piss.

Edited by moosetea

ticle a council chap says no beggars on their last check are homeless.

I think it's time to lock up beggars for the night so they are removed from the street. You'd soon stop the fake ones then.

One in Manchester got in a fight and died recently.

Q. Where do beggers normally sit?

A. By a cashpoint on a Friday/Sat night

The cash point is a no brainier, a percentage of people take there card and walk away from a cash point without collecting the money. If you sit by a cash point you can get the money each time this happens. I see the occasional big issue seller at the weekends in the city centre, with new trainers, and some beggers at rush hours. BUT at all other times where do they go? It must be more interesting/less of a waste of time to disappear somewhere else at all other times (most of the day and night).

I do see drunks and druggies looking dirty meeting up chatting to each other in the street/walking around with alc, but they appear to be incapable or they don't have the drive to beg. This crowd walks down from the homeless shelter each morning and either already have alc or buys alcohol on the way, and they meet up in various places in the city drinking all day and smelling of piss.

I always assumed the cashpoint thing was to provoke middle class guilt over having money, in the hope you might decide to give some to the beggar.

I think the 'brew crew' street drinker types don't bother begging because they soon learn that nobody will give money to someone clutching a purple can.

Overall though I must admit you see very little of this sort of thing now, I think most councils really clamped down hard on it.

There's a big issue seller in our town. She's been here at least two to three years. Reasonably turned out, arrives on the tube each morning at about half eight and knocks off sometime around 4 as far as I can tell.

I don't buy the magazine from her. My rationale is that it seems to be keeping her very well all things considered; if she doesn't have a home then there's a good availability for washing and cleaning facilities near her cardboard box. But then again, my Daily Mail head says if you only need a handful of English words then this is a viable occupation/career for a lazy non-English speaker. But it's also preventing a 'real' homeless person from selling the magazine and getting a step up in my town.

TFH

So you'd prefer her to smell, be a bit skinny and be dressed in rags so she fullfill's your stero type of somebody in need would you ? The whole point of the Big Issue is that it gets them out the homeless therefore unemployable cycle, if she's cleaning and healthy then it's working and achieving what it set out to do.

I always assumed the cashpoint thing was to provoke middle class guilt over having money, in the hope you might decide to give some to the beggar.

I think the 'brew crew' street drinker types don't bother begging because they soon learn that nobody will give money to someone clutching a purple can.

Overall though I must admit you see very little of this sort of thing now, I think most councils really clamped down hard on it.

Yeah, probably a combination BUT what's more profitable? some drunk reveller leaving 40 quid hanging out of the cash point or middle class guilt handing out a couple of quid. Easy to find out, do beggers hang out by cash points in areas with posh restaurants or younger areas with lots of drinkers?

I have a similar one on my way into work. Always got a sun tan.

My rationale is that he is a retired folk/lottery winner/not homeless but sells the Big Issue in a bid that he's doing something worthwhile with his free time.