House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

'arsonist Tried To Blow Up My Car'

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/swanseax...il/article.html

A SUSPECTED arsonist has tried to blow up a councillor's car outside his home.

They forced open the fuel cap, dropped a fuse into the petrol tank and lit it.

Brynmill councillor Peter May was woken in the early hours of Saturday morning to find firefighters tackling the blaze which resulted.

The incident outside the councillor's home in Finsbury Terrace has left him fearing for his safety.

But he has vowed to carry on representing his ward.

"It was a very sinister attack, quite malicious in fact," he said.

"This is a concern because I am a parliamentary candidate and a council cabinet member so people know who I am.

"Being a public figure this attack is a major worry and I do wonder if I was targeted, it is possible."

Police have confirmed they are treating the incident as suspicious and are appealing for information.

Inspector Tim Hopkins said: "Officers attended the scene just after 4.30am on Saturday.

"It's being treated as suspected arson to the vehicle.

"The vehicle has been recovered and officers are carrying out inquiries in the locality in an attempt to ascertain those persons responsible.

"I would urge anyone with any information to contact us immediately."

The emergency services were alerted to the incident by a passerby at around 3.30am.

One fire crew attended from Swansea, but the car was severely damaged before the blaze could be put out.

Councillor May added: "I didn't know anything about it until I was woken up by the fire engines outside my house.

"I have to praise the authorities because their response was obviously rapid, the fire could have spread otherwise."

The Lib Dem member was adamant the incident would not affect him professionally. The important thing is that this will not distract me from doing my job.

"This will only make me more determined, I won't let these criminals win."

Anyone who may have seen anything suspicious or who may have any information regarding the incident is asked to call police on 01792 456999 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Peter May has been a lone voice in Swansea standing up for residents who have seen their once beautiful suburb turned from the place where Dylan Thomas lived, and about which he wrote much of his poetry, into a student and DSS ghetto dominated by BTL landlords!

He has campagined for the registration of HMOs and for HMOs which do not meet the regs, have too many people living in them to be prosecuted.

And now this happens - very suspcious!

Soon it will be BTL landlords committing arson on their ill thought investments en masse.

Perhaps they are trying to provoke a violent reaction from the Lib Dems? :ph34r:

Hasten to add that there is no evidence whatsoever that any BTL landlords had anything to do with this - from the article it appears that no one has a clue who is responsible for this nasty attack.

The security of petrol tanks on most modern cars is pathetic.

I always prefer having the extra security of a locking filler cap.

Why? Petrol theft and fuel tank arson commonplace where you live?

Hasten to add that there is no evidence whatsoever that any BTL landlords had anything to do with this - from the article it appears that no one has a clue who is responsible for this nasty attack.

Probably one of the Rachmans running HMOs, worse than BTLers.

Why? Petrol theft and fuel tank arson commonplace where you live?

Not particularly. However, the locking flaps which I have come across on modern cars are locked shut by a puny plastic lug which offers no real protection against theft or contamination of fuel, compared to the much sturdier locking cap, which you are not going to casually prise off with a screw driver.

Like many things on modern cars the quality and some features are retro-grade, like electronic handbrakes, key less ignition and paper thin bodywork.

I prefer my economical, simple and sturdy clunkers which will still drive after a thermo nuclear electromagnetic pulse. :lol:

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

BTL landlords are way more dangerous than the Taliban. :ph34r:
BTLs don't like it up em...

One might jump to the conclusion that those willing to gamble stuff in order to secure their future, might be more willing to fight for their continued exploitative advantage, than the average serf is willing to fight to maintain their tribute based serfdom.

Am I starting to sound like my residual bull again?