House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

subby

The Non Smoking Thread

Off the smokes now for 8 months :lol:

I smoked for 22 years so it was about bloody time I got off them. Thank god for chemical assistance. I used Champix and was on it for 4 weeks and not puffed a ciggy since.

Anyone else thinking of quiting or is quit recently?

Guest DisposableHeroes
Off the smokes now for 8 months :lol:

I smoked for 22 years so it was about bloody time I got off them. Thank god for chemical assistance. I used Champix and was on it for 4 weeks and not puffed a ciggy since.

Anyone else thinking of quiting or is quit recently?

Can you breath better now?

breath easier, smell better, taste food better and didn't put on any weight....I'm well happy :)

what I percieved to be the hardest thing to do was to go out for a night out on the beers with my mates. Hard at first as I was accustomed to a beer in one hand and a ciggy in the other. Now it's not a problem. Don't feel the need to smoke when I drink now...and the smell of the smokers coming back in to the pub after a smoke....yuck

I stopped smoking 14 months ago. One of the best things I have ever done. No guilt, worrying that "that cough" might turn out to be something nasty. Fresh breath. Lower cholestorol etc etc.

I smoked for 20 years and I don't miss it one tiny bit.

I read the Alan Carr book BTW, it worked brilliantly for me.

(not Alan Carr the comedian)

Guest DisposableHeroes
I stopped smoking 14 months ago. One of the best things I have ever done. No guilt, worrying that "that cough" might turn out to be something nasty. Fresh breath. Lower cholestorol etc etc.

I smoked for 20 years and I don't miss it one tiny bit.

I read the Alan Carr book BTW, it worked brilliantly for me.

(not Alan Carr the comedian)

:lol:

I'm glad you pointed that out. It did throw a question mark when I saw the name.

I'm glad you pointed that out. It did throw a question mark when I saw the name.

I read alan carr's book too but I guess deep down I didn't really want to stop. I just read it in the vain hope that it would make me stop...it didn't. I had to use the Champix from the Doctor. But it worked :D

I use the fundamentals of his book though to talk to others that smoke. Actually got one of them to read it and is now saying he's going to stop :D

I know what you mean with the "cough thought" used to terrify me as well and now I do't have that dark thought in my mind now.

well done on stopping :D

Want to quit, but always find it hard. I've given up loads of times, but never lasted more than about 6 or 7 weeks.

Still, I've managed to not smoke in my new house for a month now, and it smells so nice compared to my old place, I quite like it. Hopefully come winter the temptation to smoke will be outweighed by my desire to stay in the warm.

breath easier, smell better, taste food better and didn't put on any weight....I'm well happy :)

what I percieved to be the hardest thing to do was to go out for a night out on the beers with my mates. Hard at first as I was accustomed to a beer in one hand and a ciggy in the other. Now it's not a problem. Don't feel the need to smoke when I drink now...and the smell of the smokers coming back in to the pub after a smoke....yuck

Quitters of today have it easy... when i gave up i still had to sit in thick clouds of yummy tar laden tobacco smoke, drooling at all those slaves to the tobacco industry killing themselves... mmmm slurp slurp :D

I gave up on the 23rd August last year and to be honest am a bit disappointed that I don't feel that different.

I guess the benefits only come so gradually that you don't really notice. After a night at the pub I don't wake up feeling like someone is standing on my chest, but I still can't run a marathon. And I've always loved food, smoker or not :lol:

I gave up on the 23rd August last year and to be honest am a bit disappointed that I don't feel that different.

I guess the benefits only come so gradually that you don't really notice. After a night at the pub I don't wake up feeling like someone is standing on my chest, but I still can't run a marathon. And I've always loved food, smoker or not :lol:

The benefits are supposed to become apparent quite quickly, so I'd suggest exercising a bit more.

Guest DisposableHeroes
Want to quit, but always find it hard. I've given up loads of times, but never lasted more than about 6 or 7 weeks.

Still, I've managed to not smoke in my new house for a month now, and it smells so nice compared to my old place, I quite like it. Hopefully come winter the temptation to smoke will be outweighed by my desire to stay in the warm.

I think it's disgusting how the cigarette manufactures pushed into Asian countries, after the clampdown in American, UK and parts of Europe.

Really is sickening.

I think it depends how long you smoked, when I was still smoking in my late thirties I did start to notice stuff, wheezing, bad (tired looking) skin, persistent cough. I didn't notice any of this stuff during the previous 20 odd years of smoking. I even used to think, "what's all the fuss about, I feel fine " !!!! ?? Now all of that has gone, if you want to see concrete evidence get your cholestorol checked.

The benefits are supposed to become apparent quite quickly, so I'd suggest exercising a bit more.

I didn't say there hadn't been any benefits, and I'm not planning on becoming an athlete so no thanks.

I think it depends how long you smoked, when I was still smoking in my late thirties I did start to notice stuff, wheezing, bad (tired looking) skin, persistent cough. I didn't notice any of this stuff during the previous 20 odd years of smoking. I even used to think, "what's all the fuss about, I feel fine " !!!! ?? Now all of that has gone, if you want to see concrete evidence get your cholestorol checked.

That makes sense, I only averaged 10 a day and was only 32 so maybe I hadn't actually started to feel that bad yet.

It would seem, following results of my recent Class 1 medical by the 'good' folks at the CAA, that a decade of cigar smoking has left me with perfect blood pressure, low cholesterol and the lungs of 'someone younger than 20', so I don't think I'll be quitting. If cigaretters make you feel iffy, you could always just swap to cigars...

Guest DisposableHeroes
It would seem, following results of my recent Class 1 medical by the 'good' folks at the CAA, that a decade of cigar smoking has left me with perfect blood pressure, low cholesterol and the lungs of 'someone younger than 20', so I don't think I'll be quitting. If cigaretters make you feel iffy, you could always just swap to cigars...

Funny you should say that, my Dad (66) smokes cigars, he has good blood pressure and a very good heart rate (resting 45 bpm)

He recently brought a bike, he rode it twice. On the third ride, I rode 60 miles with him.

He's never been a cough potato though.

hey

anyone tried those "e-cigs" ?

supposed to vaporise some nicotine, so you get your poison but not the other poisons and chems

they put in ciggys