House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

What To Do? Career Advice

Many months ago I stated I would cross Russia (via Kazakhstan and Mongolia) via motorbike on my trusty XT600E...

With many encounters , being shot at , mugged, messed about by corrupt cops beaten up had break downs in the Gobi , ran out of water in the desert... having to ride the unsealed roads of Russia (Amur highway) crossing deep rivers , and generally messing about...... the motorcycle trip is over the bike went into a box to be returned to the UK (Russia does not allow abandonment of bikes selling is a bigger hassle same with S Korea).

I now do not know what to do.... I am now in South Korea for another 10-14 days..I will be going via train to Hong Kong after that.

In that the UK economy is still in the toilet and will remain so for quite some time , I am checking online job sites and there are fewer jobs around than before I left (May 2009) , I've phoned and emailed people I know in the UK and they know of nobody recruiting...

But the point is what I am qualified for ie accountancy I utterly hate and detest with every fibre of my being nights alone in the desert gave me time to think and consider that I don't , no I CANNOT return to the accounting profession ever , my old boss also I suspect black balled me blackening my fairly decent rep when I left in January 2009.

Hence I'm a tad stuck, in S Korea and Hong Kong for that matter , I have stumbled across the NET native english speaking scheme ....however I know this is a dead end job , such jobs pay equal to about 1000 pounds in the UK , but with lower tax and provided accomodation, this means its quite a good deal , and better to have some sort of job than sitting on my bum in the UK looking for jobs I dont want?.

But here is the kicker such jobs are dead end ie any work experience I gain from teaching english in Korea or Hong Kong will be worthless in the UK, (should I ever decide to return) in that the UK is a nation of english speakers you aren't going to get much for that!.

My interim thought is NOT to do what many Americans and Canadians do in Seoul ie teach then go party for the rest of the time they are not working , but to go to get some more qualifications while I teach such that I am in effect building my saleability for when the teaching finishes , (no jobs for life in Asia its always a 12-18 month contract). and thus can branch out into other things once the teaching is over.

Anybody see any flaws in my plans (I have right to work in HK , and qualify for a work visa for Seoul).

Thanks for reading..

Many months ago I stated I would cross Russia (via Kazakhstan and Mongolia) via motorbike on my trusty XT600E...

With many encounters , being shot at , mugged, messed about by corrupt cops beaten up had break downs in the Gobi , ran out of water in the Kazakh desert... having to ride the unsealed roads of Russia (Amur highway) crossing deep rivers , and generally messing about...... the motorcycle trip is over the bike went into a box to be returned to the UK (Russia does not allow abandonment of bikes selling is a bigger hassle same with S Korea).

I now do not know what to do.... I am now in South Korea for another 10-14 days..I will be going via train to Hong Kong after that.

In that the UK economy is still in the toilet and will remain so for quite some time , I am checking online job sites and there are fewer jobs around than before I left (May 2009) , I've phoned and emailed people I know in the UK and they know of nobody recruiting...

But the point is what I am qualified for ie accountancy I utterly hate and detest with every fibre of my being nights alone in the desert gave me time to think and consider that I don't , no I CANNOT return to the accounting profession ever , my old boss also I suspect black balled me blackening my fairly decent rep when I left in January 2009.

Hence I'm a tad stuck, in S Korea and Hong Kong for that matter , I have stumbled across the NET native english speaking scheme ....however I know this is a dead end job , such jobs pay equal to about 1000 pounds in the UK , but with lower tax and provided accomodation, this means its quite a good deal , and better to have some sort of job than sitting on my bum in the UK looking for jobs I dont want?.

But here is the kicker such jobs are dead end ie any work experience I gain from teaching english in Korea or Hong Kong will be worthless in the UK, (should I ever decide to return) in that the UK is a nation of english speakers you aren't going to get much for that!.

My interim thought is NOT to do what many Americans and Canadians do in Seoul ie teach then go party for the rest of the time they are not working , but to go to get some more qualifications while I teach such that I am in effect building my saleability for when the teaching finishes , (no jobs for life in Asia its always a 12-18 month contract). and thus can branch out into other things once the teaching is over.

Anybody see any flaws in my plans (I have right to work in HK , and qualify for a work visa for Seoul).

Thanks for reading..

My nephew is now a PGCE teacher following time in Korea and Vietnam. He did some teaching of subjects other than English while out there, then came back and did his PGCE. He seems to be in demand, no trouble jobhunting.

It appears to me that you've thrown off accountancy, but you haven't yet thrown off the associated mentality. Chill out!

It takes balls to realise that something's not for you and then follow up and do something about it, so well done for ditching accountancy when you knew it wasn't working out for you. I quit my doctorate several months ago and it was SO the right thing to do...

I'm in electronics design and considered joining the police.. but really, I don't think I could tackle burly yobs to the ground and get spat at. I'm now looking at other branches of engineering. It's grim out there, but there are usually more engineering jobs than any other if I'm willing to relocate.

Regarding PGCE - I considered teaching for a while but up here in Scotland they say there are lots of jobs in teaching when in fact there are next to none. Very dire!

blimey - i remember you! just read your blog linked in from 'another site'

i admire your bravery for undertaking such a trip - but it sounded bloody dangerous to

me!

accountancy job market? - haven't a scooby mate but i read in accountancy age IIRC that there are at least 3,000+ qualified accountants on the dole.

i can imagine the jobs market is dire - as per usual the agencies probably make up a load of false vacancies so that they can harvest the CVs. so you can't get a genuine 'feel' for what is going on.

anyhoo why not combine the two? take the english course and then see if you could get into lecturing accountancy. you are an ACCA right? the demand for accountants in china will be high, surely?

a mate of mine is in south america teaching english. he is about to do his celta course.

should be a piece of piss - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CELTA

Guest Parry aka GOD

With many encounters , being shot at , mugged, messed about by corrupt cops beaten up had break downs in the Gobi , ran out of water in the desert... having to ride the unsealed roads of Russia (Amur highway) crossing deep rivers , and generally messing about...... the motorcycle trip is over the bike went into a box to be returned to the UK (Russia does not allow abandonment of bikes selling is a bigger hassle same with S Korea).

Thanks for reading..

Ken,

You already started it.

Write a book.

Wild trip man, well done.

Right now, do whatever to make ends meet. Unless you find a job photographing naked women or something.

Ken,

You already started it.

Write a book.

Wild trip man, well done.

Right now, do whatever to make ends meet. Unless you find a job photographing naked women or something.

:lol: Bit of an oversupply in that market I'd have thought? :P

With many encounters , being shot at , mugged, messed about by corrupt cops beaten up had break downs in the Gobi , ran out of water in the Kazakh desert... having to ride the unsealed roads of Russia (Amur highway) crossing deep rivers , and generally messing about...... the motorcycle trip is over the bike went into a box to be returned to the UK (Russia does not allow abandonment of bikes selling is a bigger hassle same with S Korea).

Thanks for reading..

NEWSFLASH - work isnt fun for most people - we do it to pay the bills

Accountants get paid well without having to take any risks - the reason is its deathly dull

These teaching jobs you are wittering about are not only dull but absolve you of any responsibility by the sound of it

The sound of your whiny self pity just makes me want to retch...

You need to grow up and decide if your work is your life or just part of it

Decide what compromises you are willing to make to live in the real world and get on with it

If you want a job you can enjoy it will probably be long hours, high risk and/or low pay - but if thats what you want - good, at least you have made a decision

Hiding in SE Asia and waiting for some fairy to wave a magic wand is only likely to give you some good anecdotes, an STD or maybe a wife

How about running motorcycle tours across Russia :lol:

But on a more serious note - what opportunities are there to capitalise on your experience? Are you writing a book about it?

Guest Parry aka GOD

Accountants get paid well without having to take any risks - the reason is its deathly dull

These teaching jobs you are wittering about are not only dull but absolve you of any responsibility by the sound of it

Decide what compromises you are willing to make to live in the real world and get on with it

If you want a job you can enjoy it will probably be long hours, high risk and/or low pay - but if thats what you want - good, at least you have made a decision

Hiding in SE Asia and waiting for some fairy to wave a magic wand is only likely to give you some good anecdotes, an STD or maybe a wife

Hey!

It worked for me!

Guest Parry aka GOD
you've got an STD? :unsure:

:P

I'll let you know when the blood work comes back.

Seriously, I know plenty of out-going types who've made happy lives here. Myself included. It's no big deal.

Accountants paid well , this is a MYTH , like the Japanese Salarie man myth , it is just that a myth the stats on accountants being paid well are badly skewed by the bosses , everybody who is in the middle gets paid somewhat less, salaries were badly suppressed by the advent of outsourcing , ie rather than pay somebody in the UK to do a job the bosses of all the firms I worked at decided to pay 3 pounds per hour to chaps to do the job in Pakistan. I remember the 6 month pay review why should I pay you more when I can get the job done in Pakistan for less? , (said company shed 60% of its work force in my absence).

In my time working as an accountant I made a max of 18K, which isn't a fortune to me, after rent , bills and utilities there was not exactly much left.

I'm not hiding in SE Asia , I had often been offered jobs here and yet somehow never made the leap then the economy of the planet tanked and such jobs were withdrawn..... and A job is better than no job right?. ie if I return to the UK and decide to sell my soul to accountancy there is no guarentee I will actually get a job.

How about running motorcycle tours across Russia :lol:

But on a more serious note - what opportunities are there to capitalise on your experience? Are you writing a book about it?

I'm not sure if there is any opportunity to capitalise on my experiences in that there are already many riders who are not making much money out of their adventures.. Lois Pryce for example (married to fellow adventurer Austin Vince) Rode from Anchorage to Uashia (the tip of South America) , and again rode from France via DRC to Cape Town.

Austin in 1995 crossed Siberia , did the US , and Africa in 414 days and hasn't even broken even yet after 14 years.

Maciek Swarwinaski did Motosiberia 2007 and 2009 reactivation, and encountered much worse than I did (he fitted floats to the side of his bike put a rope between his teeth and swam fast rivers in Kamchatka).

Andreas is a BMW sponsored rider with 9 books to his name , he still has to do a day job to make ends meet at the end of his trip , his modified BMW was worth 67,000 if using retail prices.

etc much more extreme trips but even with extensive corporate sponsorship , none of these people have made much money out of it.

Guest Parry aka GOD
I'm not sure if there is any opportunity to capitalise on my experiences in that there are already many riders who are not making much money out of their adventures.. Lois Pryce for example (married to fellow adventurer Austin Vince) Rode from Anchorage to Uashia (the tip of South America) , and again rode from France via DRC to Cape Town.

Austin in 1995 crossed Siberia , did the US , and Africa in 414 days and hasn't even broken even yet after 14 years.

Maciek Swarwinaski did Motosiberia 2007 and 2009 reactivation, and encountered much worse than I did (he fitted floats to the side of his bike put a rope between his teeth and swam fast rivers in Kamchatka).

Andreas is a BMW sponsored rider with 9 books to his name , he still has to do a day job to make ends meet at the end of his trip , his modified BMW was worth 67,000 if using retail prices.

etc much more extreme trips but even with extensive corporate sponsorship , none of these people have made much money out of it.

67k! :blink:

Accountants paid well , this is a MYTH , like the Japanese Salarie man myth , it is just that a myth the stats on accountants being paid well are badly skewed by the bosses , everybody who is in the middle gets paid somewhat less, salaries were badly suppressed by the advent of outsourcing , ie rather than pay somebody in the UK to do a job the bosses of all the firms I worked at decided to pay 3 pounds per hour to chaps to do the job in Pakistan. I remember the 6 month pay review why should I pay you more when I can get the job done in Pakistan for less? , (said company shed 60% of its work force in my absence).

In my time working as an accountant I made a max of 18K, which isn't a fortune to me, after rent , bills and utilities there was not exactly much left.

I'm not hiding in SE Asia , I had often been offered jobs here and yet somehow never made the leap then the economy of the planet tanked and such jobs were withdrawn..... and A job is better than no job right?. ie if I return to the UK and decide to sell my soul to accountancy there is no guarentee I will actually get a job.

Qualified accountants get paid well, the people you are talking about earning £3/hr aren't accountants

Nobody ever said you had to return to the UK

You need to decide what you want, which compromises and risks you are willing to make (including the possibility of failing and not suceeding at what you set out to do), stop feeling sorry for yourself and get on and do it

You've had your fun, so now its time to move on, no point complaining how unfair it all is

I say stay in Asia.

Mate of mine is doing the teaching english gig. He soon took it a step further and rented a flat which he uses only for private tutoring. Now he makes a ton of money.

Do the teaching English gig. I have personal reasons why I cannot take such a step yet that I won't go into. At the same time, learn how to make money by having your own websites on the internet. This is working for me now and I'm still in Western Europe. In East Asia I'd be a king! Especially countries like Thailand.

Guest Parry aka GOD
Qualified accountants get paid well, the people you are talking about earning £3/hr aren't accountants

You need to decide what you want, which compromises and risks you are willing to make (including the possibility of failing and not suceeding at what you set out to do), stop feeling sorry for yourself and get on and do it

You've had your fun, so now its time to move on, no point complaining how unfair it all is

I think this is fair comment, Ken.

Don't be scared of failure, but just make sure you've got a return ticket.

Again this is a myth SOME qualified accountants get paid well , the folks who are not ruthless enough to get to the top get paid sometimes ok but more often poorly.

The basic model of accountancy practice is this, be treated like dirt and paid poorly until you qualify, then work being paid not so great till you get your fellowship, and then hopefully be invited to be partner and or setup on your own, and start treating the newly PQs poorly and paying them poorly to make up for the lost earnings, sort of like a strange ponzi scheme of sorts. As you may envisage there is a pyramid hierachy in accountancy firms at the top there are the extremely well paid, then you get good pay then ok pay then a HUGE base of the pyramid low pay.

3 pounds an hour folks are qualified actually just qualified in Pakistan , Heena has a full FCCA (7 years post qualification work experience), she has a staff of 40 , 31 of which are ACCA qualified, the others are PQs , I remember a video conference call to them where the boss of the company asked the ACCA and the ACCA confirmed their qualifications. Hence they are FULLY qualified accountants.

I realise this (and I'm not complaining I know I have lived a charmed life so far and others would state how unfair this is) . I am not attention seeking or wanting pitty I just want other people's opinions on some of the options I have researched while in Seoul , since there isn't exactly anybody I can ask in Seoul and in the UK people I know are at work I turn to the HPC for their oppinions. I am also trapped here due to the fact I am ahead of schedule and my S Korean departure tickets are dated for later in the month.

Again this is a myth SOME qualified accountants get paid well , the folks who are not ruthless enough to get to the top get paid sometimes ok but more often poorly.

The basic model of accountancy practice is this, be treated like dirt and paid poorly until you qualify, then work being paid not so great till you get your fellowship, and then hopefully be invited to be partner and or setup on your own, and start treating the newly PQs poorly and paying them poorly to make up for the lost earnings, sort of like a strange ponzi scheme of sorts. As you may envisage there is a pyramid hierachy in accountancy firms at the top there are the extremely well paid, then you get good pay then ok pay then a HUGE base of the pyramid low pay.

This tends to be how most white collar businesses work anywhere in the world, whether or not they are accountancy firms ;)

3 pounds an hour folks are qualified actually just qualified in Pakistan , Heena has a full FCCA (7 years post qualification work experience), she has a staff of 40 , 31 of which are ACCA qualified, the others are PQs , I remember a video conference call to them where the boss of the company asked the ACCA and the ACCA confirmed their qualifications. Hence they are FULLY qualified accountants.

Yes, my favourite ones are these:

5 year qualified lawyer in London (big firm): £6-7,000 a month

5 year qualified lawyer in India (UK qualification): £1,000 a month

Newly qualified lawyer in London (big firm): £3,000 a month

Newly qualified lawyer in India (UK qualification): £500 a month

Doesn't bode well for UK earnings does it? ;)

I suspect UK citizens might not be in their hugely privileged positions for much longer

When I was in Asia most locals worked 10 hours a day 6 days a week

Welcome back kennichi! Safe and sound then.

If you're confident that accountancy is not for you then it's not. Forget what ageing baby-boomers here say about you bucking up your ideas, for GenXers, the idea of a 'career' went out of the window along with the cheap houses and company pensions many many years ago now.

You will have to make compromises, and sometimes they won't be easy, but search for what you actually want to do and stick with it. In my experience its not the cleverest people who succeed but the people who want it most.

Think a little laterally - teach English for a while to make ends meet while you're figuring out what to do next. No point coming back to cold wet and dreary England now. Meet people and ask them about what they do. Sooner or later something someone does will inspire you.

If you've been an acountant, then go to hong kong and try working in finance. Or teach business English to accountants in Japan. Or show Cambodian shopkeepers how to run their books. You won't go hungry, and everything more is a bonus. That may be the lesson you learned on the motorbike trip.

Metaphorically speaking, you can't go back home, so you make your home where you go.

I am a qualified accountnant, and know lots of other qualified accountants. I would say most of them get paid well. What is it you dont like about accountancy? What sort of company were you in? Why not consider doing accountancy part time, there are likely to be lots fo companies that dont want the expense of a full time qualified accountant but require the expertise. You could then use your spare time to try something alittle more interesting. I know accountancy is not the most exciting job in the world, but there are a hell of a lot worse things you could be doing. Depends on you experience, but the jobs certaonly get more interesting as you usually see the juicy goings on in a company before most other staff, and would have a heads up if things were going badly etc.