House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Husband

Consumerisim Is 'eating The Future'

The views expressed in the article are similar to my own thoughts. We have an economic model that requires consumption to grow exponentially, but that requires our resource base to grow exponentially - or the efficient use of a diminishing resource base to grow at a faster rate still. We differ from other dominant species that are now extinct, in that, as we have continued to evolve we have been able to alter our environment to enable us to propagate in circumstances that we might not have been able to propagate in through 'natural evolution' - whether this be irrigation of crops, cultivation of GM foods, an energy infrastructure that enables us to deal with severe climate, etc. So we continue to plunder earth's resources at an exponential rate of growth until we reach a point of unsustainability, believing that we will be able to continue to outpace the day of reckoning via technological innovation. Whether that will be the case remains to be seen..

Guest Parry aka GOD

Well a few activists in the US have tried direct action. But the Police don't take kindly to the proper use of an AK47 in a shopping mall.

Well a few activists in the US have tried direct action. But the Police don't take kindly to the proper use of an AK47 in a shopping mall.

Surely you meant improper?

Guest Parry aka GOD
Surely you meant improper?

Nah it's what they're designed for. What? You gonna use one as an expresso machine?

yeah...yeah... Dawn of the Dead stylee

Guest Parry aka GOD
yeah...yeah... Dawn of the Dead stylee

Nah . . . more your typical shopping mall nutter masacre. Something to do with postmen.

The views expressed in the article are similar to my own thoughts. We have an economic model that requires consumption to grow exponentially, but that requires our resource base to grow exponentially - or the efficient use of a diminishing resource base to grow at a faster rate still. We differ from other dominant species that are now extinct, in that, as we have continued to evolve we have been able to alter our environment to enable us to propagate in circumstances that we might not have been able to propagate in through 'natural evolution' - whether this be irrigation of crops, cultivation of GM foods, an energy infrastructure that enables us to deal with severe climate, etc. So we continue to plunder earth's resources at an exponential rate of growth until we reach a point of unsustainability, believing that we will be able to continue to outpace the day of reckoning via technological innovation. Whether that will be the case remains to be seen..

Having just watched

i have to say that i agree too. Ultimately money represents the plundering of a natural resource and untill we can circumnavigate this...

Guest X-QUORK

Hilary Benn was discussing the need to consider food provision over the next few decades on Radio 4 this morning. At one point he mentioned that the world population is expected to grow by another 3 billion over the next 20 years. I thought, why do we just accept this as a given? Why is it acceptable for population figures to keep on growing so alarmingly?

Political correctness puts a halt to any serious debate on measures to limit population growth, but for me this is the elephant in the room.

Guest Parry aka GOD
Hilary Benn was discussing the need to consider food provision over the next few decades on Radio 4 this morning. At one point he mentioned that the world population is expected to grow by another 3 billion over the next 20 years. I thought, why do we just accept this as a given? Why is it acceptable for population figures to keep on growing so alarmingly?

Political correctness puts a halt to any serious debate on measures to limit population growth, but for me this is the elephant in the room.

Not if Rolf's 'aneros' has anything to do with it. Perhaps Rolf has found the answer to population growth.

Hans Rosling on the gapminder website gives an interesting talk on why population may stabilize... HERE

I have a feeling there's something too this as well. Once you lift populations out of poverty they stop having as many kids.

As far as food provision goes i have been worried by a couple of articles that have made C4 news in the last few days. One about organic food not being any better for you than industrially farmed produce and then tonight some dudes arguing the pros and cons of GM and industrial agriculture versus organic practices... for instance you could negate the need for nitrogen rich fertilizers by engineering many of our crops to 'fix' nitrogen. Now i know that many plants fix nitrogen so why would it be so bad to genetically modify crop staples to do the same thing?

It just doesn't sit right with me. The argument about organic isn't necessarily about healthier food, it's about soil quality. Soil requires organic matter...it IS organic matter. Modern techniques do nothing to build soil.

Guest anorthosite
Not if Rolf's 'aneros' has anything to do with it.

Oh no! Thread leakage!