House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loginandtonic

If Anyone Knows Anything About Missing Filing Cabinet Keys

long shot but just in case ....

i have a bisley 4 drawer unlocked but i would like the key so i can lock it occasionally. phoned locksmith and i gave him the code on the lock (210) and he said there are many prefixes to that code and only with the prefix can he be sure which key i need but that the most common key for a 210 would be £7 although if it didnt work i've lost £7 he said

seems a pretty unsatisfactory idea

i cant see how to get the lock off to take it into him, and he said only with the lock off can he be sure and get the prefix or whatever

he said bringing the whole cabinet to him makes no difference and he's not going to spend time taking the lock off of course

any ideas apart from get a replacement filing cabinet with keys?!

Guest KingCharles1st

i have a bisley 4 drawer unlocked but i would like the key so i can lock it occasionally. phoned locksmith and i gave him the code on the lock (210) and he said there are many prefixes to that code and only with the prefix can he be sure which key i need but that the most common key for a 210 would be £7 although if it didnt work i've lost £7 he said

seems a pretty unsatisfactory idea

i cant see how to get the lock off to take it into him, and he said only with the lock off can he be sure and get the prefix or whatever

he said bringing the whole cabinet to him makes no difference and he's not going to spend time taking the lock off of course

My second hand office equipment guy was terrific like this- sounds like yours doesn't care.

If you were in North Herts I could tel you where to go.

My second hand office equipment guy was terrific like this- sounds like yours doesn't care.

If you were in North Herts I could tel you where to go.

i tried a local well established locksmith, the local used office equipt place just want to sell me another cabinet :)

Guest Parry aka GOD
i tried a local well established locksmith, the local used office equipt place just want to sell me another cabinet :)

Rivet some latches to it and get a few padlocks. Makes it look like there's something real improtant in there, rather than just some 1998 back issues of Reader Wives.

Guest KingCharles1st
Rivet some latches to it and get a few padlocks. Makes it look like there's something real improtant in there, rather than just some 1998 back issues of Reader Wives.

You used to get it too-- you don't have the "M6 service station trucker's party dogging special" do you?

Try these people:

http://www.keysplease.co.uk/AMMEXTRANET/Pu...deKeysWhole.asp

You can email their sales dept - no idea whether they can help, but at least their website it informative!

Guest Parry aka GOD
You used to get it too-- you don't have the "M6 service station trucker's party dogging special" do you?

Why I sure do honey bunny.

Got it open right by by chance.

Just checked three cabinets in my office: all different types and makes and all pretty similar insofar as the lock is concerned.

1. Remove the drawers: they should lift up off the slides when fully open:

2. Rotate the cabinet onto its back: you should then have the space to see what holds the lock barrel assembly (i.e. the exterior bezel - square or round - and the barrel per se sits inside this exterior bezel) in situ: normally a "C" clip which is retained by spring pressure around a circular groove in the lock barrel assy: also the rod attached to the rear of the cylinder needs removing: some form of clip: they vary.

3. The "C" clip which retains the barrel assy. can be normally prised off with a thin screwdriver.

4. The actual lock barrel is normally a pretty standard type: most lock barrels are. This will be retained in the barrel assembly by a pin, another "C" clip or even an internal circlip.

5. Rather than matching a key, you can always buy a new barrel with keys.

US Site but useful info:

http://www.mrlock.com/eshop/locks/mfg/srs/index.html

Or of course, you could always contact Bisley direct!

http://www.bisley.co.uk/contact/customer_services.php

Try these people:

http://www.keysplease.co.uk/AMMEXTRANET/Pu...deKeysWhole.asp

You can email their sales dept - no idea whether they can help, but at least their website it informative!

will do thx

Just checked three cabinets in my office: all different types and makes and all pretty similar insofar as the lock is concerned.

i'll have a go, thx for that step by step - :)

i'll have a go, thx for that step by step - :)

I had a similar problem with a key safe - the manufacturers were pretty helpful. I'd try going straight to the bisley spares line.