House Price Crash Forum

Ast Clause On Phone Numbers

The last four times I've moved they've tried to charge me. Results have been:

- They didn't try to charge

- They tried to charge £75. Told them I'd use ntl (as was) and they changed their mind. Paid them £25.

- They tried to charge £75 and asked for a £250 deposit. Told them to bog off. They changed their mind over the deposit but wouldn't budge over the connection fee; used virgin instead

- They tried to charge me £125. Told them I was phoning from the line they were telling me didn't exist; they wouldn't budge and insisted that it would be disconnected when the then current occupant moved out, so I'd have to pay to get it reconnected once it had been. Kicked up a big stink, but again they wouldn't budge. Use O2 mobile instead, as for internet I can pick up the wifi from the phonebox about 10m away.

The way I would look at such a clause would be what possible punishment' could there be if you had the audacity to take the phone number with you. I cant think of any loss that the landlord (or even an incoming tenant) might suffer from you breaking such a clause.

Exactly - which I why I suspect that this clause has been in the National Trust's standard rental contract since the days when phones were made of bakelite and there was a two-year waiting list to have one installed.

Sadly this is often not true. All of our houses that we rent to students have phone lines, but most years when one group move out, and the line is deactivated in late June, the new tenants get charged a "connection fee" in late September.

Interesting - unless they want ADSL I'm surprised that most students bother with landline phones these days. We keep hearing how young professionals in their 20s are increasingly using mobiles alone. Given that students move very frequently and the desirability of keeping a phone number, I'm surprised that many student households still want a landline.

Edited by The Ayatollah Bugheri
Interesting - unless they want ADSL I'm surprised that most students bother with landline phones these days. We keep hearing how young professionals in their 20s are increasingly using mobiles alone. Given that students move very frequently and the desirability of keeping a phone number, I'm surprised that many student households still want a landline.

They don't particularly want a landline - they especially don't want the arguments about who it was who spent an hour on the phone to Australia last quarter - but they absolutely insist on high speed Broadband. One crew I had were getting through 50 gigs PER DAY causing massive arguments with Madasafish who capped usage at (IIRC) 50 gigs a month. They all just streamed non stop. Try doing that on your mobile phone or laptop dongle! And virtually all ISPs want a BT phoneline which permits outgoing calls.....

NTL /Virgin is an alternative, of course, but not not every house is cabled.

Actually, I moved 3 weeks ago into a house that had been unoccupied for 4 months. BT did not charge me a connection fee. I can only assume they saw you coming.

I moved into a flat that had been empty for three weeks. Even though they were not supposed to BT disconnected the line and are now inisiting that I pay £125 to be reconnected.

I told them to shove it, and am now using contract mobile only and mobile internet too BT will be in trouble once more people realise they can do without their shoddy money grabbing tactics.

My agent agrees with me that the line should not have been disconnected but it does not seem like they are going to do anything about it.

They don't particularly want a landline - they especially don't want the arguments about who it was who spent an hour on the phone to Australia last quarter - but they absolutely insist on high speed Broadband. One crew I had were getting through 50 gigs PER DAY causing massive arguments with Madasafish who capped usage at (IIRC) 50 gigs a month. They all just streamed non stop. Try doing that on your mobile phone or laptop dongle! And virtually all ISPs want a BT phoneline which permits outgoing calls.....

NTL /Virgin is an alternative, of course, but not not every house is cabled.

As someone renting to students this is certainly my experience.

It's a pain for me - because in some cases I would be happy to pay for broadband and just include it in the rent, but I am put off doing this, because I would have to give them a phone line in my name, which some *might* abuse.

At least with broadband, its a fixed monthly cost. If they use up the monthly limit, well that's their problem, at least it doesn't cost me any more.

It would be good if you could just have the broadband without the phone line......

It's a pain for me - because in some cases I would be happy to pay for broadband and just include it in the rent, but I am put off doing this, because I would have to give them a phone line in my name, which some *might* abuse.

At least with broadband, its a fixed monthly cost. If they use up the monthly limit, well that's their problem, at least it doesn't cost me any more.

It would be good if you could just have the broadband without the phone line......

You could do it if you ensure there is a single outlet for the router to plug into and then just put a locked box or something around the socket so they can't attach a phone to it. Problem solved, and you add a bit of value for your tenants.

find someone who will give you an incoming only line

tim