House Price Crash Forum

Glasgow Is Named Laziest City In Britain

HOLA441

Glasgow is named laziest city in Britain

Glasgow has been branded the most "lazy" city in Britain after a survey found that three-quarters of people admitted they do not take enough exercise.

The figure produced by Nuffield Health, a not-for-profit healthcare group, revealed that despite campaigns by the Scottish Government encouraging people to exercise, people are still reluctant to take up fitness activities.

The study revealed 75% of people in the city said they did not take enough exercise, putting Glasgow ahead of Birmingham and Southampton on 67% and London on 66% after interviewing citizens in 10 cities. Survey teams who questioned 2000 adults found that one-third (36%) of the nation is so lazy that they will not run to catch a bus.

advertisement

The Nuffield Health Fitness Report found that people are now so unfit that over half (59%) will not walk up two flights of stairs to reach their office, opting to take the lift instead.

At home, one in six or 7.3 million people say that if the remote control was broken, they would prefer to watch a TV programme they did not like rather than get up to change the channel.

The study also confirmed the extent of our laziness is also having damaging effect on our relationships. Three-quarters (73%) of couples say they regularly do not have enough energy at the end of the day for a night of passion with their partner. More than half (58%) put this down to lack of physical fitness.

Other cities where more than half of those questioned admitted to not getting enough exercise included Bristol at 64%, Leeds 62%, Newcastle 62%, Norwich 60%, Manchester 59% and Cardiff 58%.

With concerns over obesity involving children, two-thirds (64%) of parents admit to always being too tired' to play with their kids. The report concludes that it is "no wonder" one in six children are classified as obese before they have even started school.

Half (52%) of pet owners questioned cannot be bothered to take their dog for a walk. The finding helps explain why canine obesity is also on the rise in the UK.

Despite these alarming findings, the Nuffield Health Fitness Report does offer some hope. Almost one-third (28%) of respondents say they would be prepared to step up their fitness regime if they felt it would make them more attractive to their partner.

Dr Sarah Dauncey, the medical director of Nuffield Health, said: "The first step to addressing health and fitness is to have a health assessment to see where you stand.

Following that, you should work out an exercise and lifestyle programme which reflects your health and fitness level. This will allow you to increase your fitness at a sustainable rate.

"People need to get fitter, not just for their own sake, but for the sake of their families friends, and evidently their pets, too. If we don't start to take control of this problem, a whole generation will become too unfit to perform even the most rudimentary of tasks.

"Ready-meals, remote controls and even internet shopping are all contributing to a dangerously lazy and idle Britain. The nation has fallen into a vicious circle of laziness that we must put a stop to."

There sure are a lot of young ladies with fat rolls hanging over their far too tight trousers. Shame.

Plus, not only are we lazy up here, we are also getting dumber:

Fears for exam value as 44% score gains Higher pass

Thousands of pupils are passing Higher exams with scores below 50%, raising concerns about the value of Scottish qualifications.

Passes were awarded to candidates who scored fewer than half marks in almost a third of subjects this year, including English, chemistry and computing.

Figures released by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) show that C grades were awarded for scores of 48% in English, 47% in biology and 45% in computing and drama. The lowest was 44% for chemistry.

Pupils were able to pass with scores below 50% in 20 Higher exam subjects. Pass marks for computing, chemistry, geography, psychology, and graphic communication have all fallen over the past year.

Pupils only needed to score 65% for an A pass in Higher English, 67% in economics, and 68% in French, history and travel and tourism. The national average mark for one of the papers in Higher English was just 48%.

At Standard Grade level, pupils could achieve a credit pass with scores as low as 40% in geography and Spanish, 42% in mathematics and 44% in physics.

This year’s exam results, released last week, showed pass rates for Higher exams reached a record high of 74.2%, up from 73.4% last year. Among Standard Grade pupils, 98.5% passed, up from 98% in 2008.

The results have led to calls for the exam system to be overhauled to make tests more rigorous.

Liz Smith MSP, education spokeswoman for the Scottish Conservatives, said: “I am not comfortable with so many exams having very low pass marks. It sends out the wrong message when so many pupils are getting A passes.

“I have no doubt that there are many kids who are working extremely hard but if we are year on year getting more and more people passing exams then questions have to be raised.â€

Nick Seaton, of the Campaign for Real Education, added: “With pass marks at this sort of level it’s devaluing the exams and will eventually make them worthless. Will anybody employ an accountant who gets six out of 10 of his sums wrong? It’s ridiculous.â€

The low pass marks are a result of the SQA’s use of grade boundaries. Each year the exam body sets a minimum pass mark for every subject. This is aimed at ensuring that the grade a candidate achieves in a course is comparable to previous and future years.

David Watt, of the Institute of Directors, said employers were increasingly wary of placing any emphasis on exams “which no one can failâ€.

Last night the SQA said it employed expert advisers to ensure that standards were maintained from one year to the next.

“The SQA has a responsibility to individual learners and to the wider community to ensure that the standards of our qualifications are maintained,†said a spokesman.

“Small changes in pass marks can occur from year to year in all subjects. We draw on our professional expertise and experience of our expert advisers to make those adjustments and to ensure that the system remains robust.

“In addition to this grade boundary process, which has been in place for over 15 years, we also have a separate monitoring standards programme, which ensures that standards are consistent for courses across a number of years.â€

Why would you pass somebody with less than 50% average? That is criminally ignorant for rewarding incompetence, and quite frankly, dangerous. Leaves a young person in a very bad position, don't you think?

Makes you wonder what all that extra tax money per person is getting used for up here. Next year, with the coming tax cut, is going to quite painful. Less deep fried mars bars and buckfast.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I lived there for 7 years, it's worse than the article makes out. The kids aren't fat thankfully, gotta send them out to kick in the fences for firewood, and after that they only get fed beans because their mum needs th' so-shal for fags.

The only thin ones up there are the gypsy clans... they do a surprising amount of work tending their livestock and going round to find the best grazing spots (usually the local council's prized green. :D).

Got a lot more respect for them than the Giro Lardos.

Edited by DementedTuna

HOLA447
I lived there for 7 years, it's worse than the article makes out. The kids aren't fat thankfully, gotta send them out to kick in the fences for firewood, and after that they only get fed beans because their mum needs the child benefit for fags.

The only thin ones up there are the gypsy clans... they do a surprising amount of work tending their livestock and going round to find the best grazing spots (usually the local council's prized green. :D).

Got a lot more respect for them than the Giro Lardos.

Lol. Everything is deep fried or sugar coated on the West coast, although I do have a passion for decent tablet.

HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest BoomBoomCrash

The thing that really struck me about Glasgow when I was there a few years back was the smell. The whole place reeks of shite.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

No offence intended but since i came to the land of eng ive never met a more shiftless lazier ignorant selfish money-for-nothing money grabbing ill-educated bunch spoilt arrogant world owes them a live, never had to work through hardship ar*es in my life...I welcome the HPC, recession, despression and all it means for the arrogant chavs of this poor country . A country that can no longer rob it's empire to feed it's upper echelons, so they insteads enslaves it's own kind in debt whilst giving freebies to the shiftless of europe, asia and africa to welcome to them (poor sods ) to 'their' country so they can benefit from their gain.

A%ses.

Wake up.

Why are Scottish people happy for the word "Scotch" to be applied to their food and whiskey but get upset when it is used to refer to them?

Probably the same reason why the english ( or engs as we call them) hate to be referred to as germanic ruled war mongering thieving saxon arses....or sassonacs to give them their proper bast&rd title.

P.s. Name me a country that loves the english and the only country that could be is....england...if 'england' were a person then you'd reflect on that and change your behavoir.

P.P.s to add insult to injury the french stood up to the Americans over the iraq 'war' ...much to our nations shame we joined them and there thieving ways...now we see the results. French for english these days is the word...****...roughly translated from english, it means ****.

rather than slagging off the native people of this land you might be better to join forces and make your voice heard against the people that really bring the country down...the bankers and the corrupt MPs and local council staff.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
No offence intended but since i came to the land of eng ive never met a more shiftless lazier ignorant selfish money-for-nothing money grabbing ill-educated bunch spoilt arrogant world owes them a live, never had to work through hardship ar*es in my life...I welcome the HPC, recession, despression and all it means for the arrogant chavs of this poor country . A country that can no longer rob it's empire to feed it's upper echelons, so they insteads enslaves it's own kind in debt whilst giving freebies to the shiftless of europe, asia and africa to welcome to them (poor sods ) to 'their' country so they can benefit from their gain.

A%ses.

Wake up.

Probably the same reason why the english ( or engs as we call them) hate to be referred to as germanic ruled war mongering thieving saxon arses....or sassonacs to give them their proper bast&rd title.

P.s. Name me a country that loves the english and the only country that could be is....england...if 'england' were a person then you'd reflect on that and change your behavoir.

P.P.s to add insult to injury the french stood up to the Americans over the iraq 'war' ...much to our nations shame we joined them and there thieving ways...now we see the results. French for english these days is the word...****...roughly translated from english, it means ****.

rather than slagging off the native people of this land you might be better to join forces and make your voice heard against the people that really bring the country down...the bankers and the corrupt MPs and local council staff.

Hast thou a humperdinck with the engleberts?

HOLA4415
The whole place reeks of shite.

You ain't far off. That god awful clockwork orange tube stinks of pish, probably the worst smelling public transit in the free western world....that, and most of the central and west end has the taint of toilet in the air.

Guess that's as good a reason to swill buckfast and eat deep fried black puddings as any.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
"The whole place reeks of shite."

Isn't that Calcutta?

I have been to both places. I honestly think Calcutta is far more pleasant. I am not kidding. Lovely open parks. Cracking underground system - if only one small line. Good food. Cracking water park. On the down side the smelly bits are pretty horrific.

As for Glasgow. Not my cup of tea. Also has the highest rate of incapacity benefit of any UK city IIRC.

Something like 30% ? :o

HOLA4418
I don't want to make a big thing out of this or offend anyone (not something I'm good at I know) but I have a question.

Why are Scottish people happy for the word "Scotch" to be applied to their food and whiskey but get upset when it is used to refer to them?

Do they ? I think you will find the small number of Jocks who are easily offended by tags - are the loudest. ;)

The majority couldn't give a flying ******. But we are not usually as vocal as the Salmond types...

HOLA4419
No offence intended but since i came to the land of eng ive never met a more shiftless lazier ignorant selfish money-

Is that a deep fried chip on your shoulder?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
I have been to both places. I honestly think Calcutta is far more pleasant. I am not kidding.

I went to India over 10 years ago i remember landing at Bombay airport my first impression was poverty

I spent two months there just travelling around Delhi Kashmire the Taj Mahal i have never seen such poverty in all my life

My lasting impression were the people they were friendly i never felt threatened in anyway but there were people everywhere

Even in the middle of the night in some forgotten about railway station the place was packed i have seen so many people in all my life

I don't think that you can compare Glasgow to Bombay its another world

HOLA4422
I went to India over 10 years ago i remember landing at Bombay airport my first impression was poverty

I spent two months there just travelling around Delhi Kashmire the Taj Mahal i have never seen such poverty in all my life

My lasting impression were the people they were friendly i never felt threatened in anyway but there were people everywhere

Even in the middle of the night in some forgotten about railway station the place was packed i have seen so many people in all my life

I don't think that you can compare Glasgow to Bombay its another world

Very true. Don't get ***** like this in Bombay.

nedGal36.jpg

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

A%ses.

Wake up.

Are you about to be made redundant from another contract?

HOLA4425
You ain't far off. That god awful clockwork orange tube stinks of pish, probably the worst smelling public transit in the free western world....that, and most of the central and west end has the taint of toilet in the air.

Guess that's as good a reason to swill buckfast and eat deep fried black puddings as any.

Sounds like hell. It's no wonder they all seem to be killing themselves off as quickly as possible. Save on the benefits bill I suppose.