House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AvidFan

An Alternative Hypothesis

I suggest to all of you on this board that the current trajectory of The West or in fact The World cannot and will not change over the long term, until right at the very end when it will all be too late.

My hypothesis is based on Easter island and in particular on it's early fabled deforestation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Island...f_the_ecosystem [1]).

It's suggested that the indigenous population couldn't see what was happening or what the potential outcome would be. They spent increasing amounts of time building stone statues, chopping down trees to facilitate their movement. At some point, only a few thousand locals remained and the ratio of stone fakery to people was 1:10. The trees they lost were a vital source of food, self sufficiency and sustainability but they just couldn't see what they were doing to themselves.

The 21st century West is much the same. As the oil runs out and our manufacturing wealth creation travels East, we must seek out activities that convince us all is well. Increasing pre-occupation with industries that charge a lot and add little. The £200 an hour business consultants and investment bankers, fretting over the smallest of movements in a global price index, employing server farms in off-site warehouses to calculate a buy or a sell and a pathetic “winâ€, clocking up a few extra digits on the grand total year to date. Industries where our best mathematicians, statisticians, engineers and scientists can while away their time not furthering the human race, just running round and round in tight little circles worrying about numbers.

At least the sums involved seem to rise exponentially, while the energy involved does not. It seems to fit perfectly with our predicament then. And while our potential saviours tick away their time growing disproportionately rich in a society they believe they are the pinnacle of, Rome burns. But we must do this. Society is too dumb not to; We've bred too many optimists to care.

For the select few whose lives are enriched by this, nothing changes. The hours are long but the rewards are sweet. Prices of everything from cars to houses to holidays to food all stay the same, unlike for the rest whose standard of living drops year after year until there is nothing left.

At a time when human civilization is at its most vulnerable, tranquillity should be most evident. It's only what one expects from a second childhood before drifting off into the long sleep.

But the bankers will keep us preoccupied. The smallest of dislocations, the most misplaced optimism or pessimism, will be cause for greater and greater monetary gain as the collective stupidity of the investment community is ever more influenced by the news. The bankers will get richer. The rest will get poorer. In a world with a definite end, we need our second childhood and this could very well be it.

I'd love to think it will be different. I'd love to think the bankers and unproductive industries have had their day. But I just can't see it. Evolution teaches us that societies crash and burn through their own short sightedness and preoccupation with the most irrelevant detail. Ours will be no different.

[1] Jared Diamond dismisses past climate change as a dominant factor on the island's deforestation in his book Collapse which presents an extensive look into the collapse of the ancient Easter Islanders. Diamond argues that the disappearance of the island's trees seems to coincide with a decline of its civilization around the 17th and 18th century. Midden contents show a sudden drop in quantities of fish and bird bones as the islanders lost the means to construct fishing vessels and the birds lost their nesting sites. Soil erosion due to lack of trees is apparent in some places. Sediment samples document that up to half of the native plants had become extinct and that the vegetation of the island was drastically altered. Chickens and rats became leading items of diet and there are contested hints that cannibalism occurred, based on human remains associated with cooking sites, especially in caves.

Edited by AvidFan

Guest Parry aka GOD

Good book. Read Guns, Germs and Steel too.

Top thinker, Diamond.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Good book. Read Guns, Germs and Steel too.

Top thinker, Diamond.

I vote we turn all our efforts to making giant Moai statues of Parry's **** and put them all around the coast to scare off the Chinks.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Guest Parry aka GOD
I vote we turn all our efforts to making giant Moai statues of Parry's **** and put them all around the coast to scare off the Chinks.

Now that is a genius idea.

I feel I should be immortalised in bronze in any case. :P

Guest UK Debt Slave
I suggest to all of you on this board that the current trajectory of The West or in fact The World cannot and will not change over the long term, until right at the very end when it will all be too late.

My hypothesis is based on Easter island and in particular on it's early fabled deforestation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Island...f_the_ecosystem [1]).

It's suggested that the indigenous population couldn't see what was happening or what the potential outcome would be. They spent increasing amounts of time building stone statues, chopping down trees to facilitate their movement. At some point, only a few thousand locals remained and the ratio of stone fakery to people was 1:10. The trees they lost were a vital source of food, self sufficiency and sustainability but they just couldn't see what they were doing to themselves.

The 21st century West is much the same. As the oil runs out and our manufacturing wealth creation travels East, we must seek out activities that convince us all is well. Increasing pre-occupation with industries that charge a lot and add little. The £200 an hour business consultants and investment bankers, fretting over the smallest of movements in a global price index, employing server farms in off-site warehouses to calculate a buy or a sell and a pathetic “winâ€, clocking up a few extra digits on the grand total year to date. Industries where our best mathematicians, statisticians, engineers and scientists can while away their time not furthering the human race, just running round and round in tight little circles worrying about numbers.

At least the sums involved seem to rise exponentially, while the energy involved does not. It seems to fit perfectly with our predicament then. And while our potential saviours tick away their time growing disproportionately rich in a society they believe they are the pinnacle of, Rome burns. But we must do this. Society is too dumb not to; We've bred too many optimists to care.

For the select few whose lives are enriched by this, nothing changes. The hours are long but the rewards are sweet. Prices of everything from cars to houses to holidays to food all stay the same, unlike for the rest whose standard of living drops year after year until there is nothing left.

At a time when human civilization is at its most vulnerable, tranquillity should be most evident. It's only what one expects from a second childhood before drifting off into the long sleep.

But the bankers will keep us preoccupied. The smallest of dislocations, the most misplaced optimism or pessimism, will be cause for greater and greater monetary gain as the collective stupidity of the investment community is ever more influenced by the news. The bankers will get richer. The rest will get poorer. In a world with a definite end, we need our second childhood and this could very well be it.

I'd love to think it will be different. I'd love to think the bankers and unproductive industries have had their day. But I just can't see it. Evolution teaches us that societies crash and burn through their own short sightedness and preoccupation with the most irrelevant detail. Ours will be no different.

[1] Jared Diamond dismisses past climate change as a dominant factor on the island's deforestation in his book Collapse which presents an extensive look into the collapse of the ancient Easter Islanders. Diamond argues that the disappearance of the island's trees seems to coincide with a decline of its civilization around the 17th and 18th century. Midden contents show a sudden drop in quantities of fish and bird bones as the islanders lost the means to construct fishing vessels and the birds lost their nesting sites. Soil erosion due to lack of trees is apparent in some places. Sediment samples document that up to half of the native plants had become extinct and that the vegetation of the island was drastically altered. Chickens and rats became leading items of diet and there are contested hints that cannibalism occurred, based on human remains associated with cooking sites, especially in caves.

Perfectly accurate hypothesis methinks

All that counts is that you understand the system and you have the knowledge, skills and people skills to give yourself and your family an edge over everyone else. That's all that counts. The fact that you recognize the fate of mankind gives you an advantage. Use it to the best of your ability. As individuals, there's very little we can do to change things and indeed, as a collective of well informed, educated people, there isn't a whole lot we can do either.

The elites want to wipe out 80% of mankind.

No delusions of morality about it. This is what they will do. Don't even think about getting engaged in a moral argumant about it. This is what will happen, because they want to stay in charge AFTER armageddon.

Perfectly accurate hypothesis methinks

All that counts is that you understand the system and you have the knowledge, skills and people skills to give yourself and your family an edge over everyone else. That's all that counts. The fact that you recognize the fate of mankind gives you an advantage. Use it to the best of your ability. As individuals, there's very little we can do to change things and indeed, as a collective of well informed, educated people, there isn't a whole lot we can do either.

The elites want to wipe out 80% of mankind.

No delusions of morality about it. This is what they will do. Don't even think about getting engaged in a moral argumant about it. This is what will happen, because they want to stay in charge AFTER armageddon.

Point is, do you stay in your own industry and just be aware of it, playing at survival, or do you join them, knowing that the society that's left may value your talents when they realise all they've got is a bunch of bluffers?

My barrel of cider from last year is reaching perfection - and it won't run out before my next one's ready in a few months' time.

Sorry, what was the question?

Very well put, but I chose to spend my remaining years doing what I can.