House Price Crash Forum

Snails And Slugs

HOLA441

I stepped out for a cigarette onto a 10 meter or so Balcony which leads to steps down to a garden, every night there seem to be snails or slugs wandering about.

So far I even tried to smoke closer to the door to avoid crushing them, but tonight, straight out and 4 dead including a slug that I had to euthanise. There are no lights

to see by and the solar garden lamps I got for this very reason are too weak to see anything by.

It's not a good feeling to be crushing them but wtf am I supposed to do. Soon I fear going on a rampage just killing the lot and shouting about how they forced me to do it :o

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
I stepped out for a cigarette onto a 10 meter or so Balcony which leads to steps down to a garden, every night there seem to be snails or slugs wandering about.

So far I even tried to smoke closer to the door to avoid crushing them, but tonight, straight out and 4 dead including a slug that I had to euthanise. There are no lights

to see by and the solar garden lamps I got for this very reason are too weak to see anything by.

It's not a good feeling to be crushing them but wtf am I supposed to do. Soon I fear going on a rampage just killing the lot and shouting about how they forced me to do it :o

Buy some chickens or indian runner ducks. They love slugs and snails and will convert them into eggs :rolleyes:

HOLA445
Buy some chickens or indian runner ducks. They love slugs and snails and will convert them into eggs :rolleyes:

Good idea, but how long will they last before getting crushed under the feet of Three Pint Princess? Probably cause a lot more commotion than crushing the slugs too.

HOLA446
Guest DisposableHeroes

They like beer, they die happy. It's just whether you have the strength to use it as a slug/snail happy downing device.

HOLA447

If you walk slowly enough they'll get out of your way.

HOLA448

If you want to keep them off the balcont, you could try and seal it off by using a strip of copper tape across all 'slug entrances'. Not sure how it works, but I think the slug gives itself an elctric shock when it tries to cross it which makes it an impossible barrier to cross. I have used it on my raised vege patch and it works a treat. Its not expensive, perhahps a few quid a role.

I have not problem with killing them though, had them eat too many of my plants to have any sympathy. Squashing them is still not a nice feeling, but there is always slug pellets, out of sight out of mind. Beer in a jar also catches a lot, but its a bit messy to clear up.

HOLA449

If you want to keep them off the balcony, you could try and seal it off by using a strip of copper tape across all 'slug entrances'. Not sure how it works, but I think the slug gives itself an elctric shock when it tries to cross it which makes it an impossible barrier to cross. I have used it on my raised veg patch and it works a treat. Its not expensive, perhaps a few quid a role.

I have not got a problem with killing them though, had them eat too many of my plants to have any sympathy. Squashing them is still not a nice feeling, but there is always slug pellets, out of sight out of mind. Beer in a jar also catches a lot, but its a bit messy to clear up.

HOLA4410
They like beer, they die happy. It's just whether you have the strength to use it as a slug/snail happy downing device.

Well it was the slugs or our crop of perpetual spinach.

The spinach won out! We installed three SlugPubs: simply plastic containers sunk in the soil half-filled with beer.

The slugs seem to prefer Marston's Ashes Ale to Shepherd and Neam's Spitfire Ale!

Next week, I'll try something different.

Must say, the slugs do seem to look happy: albeit drowned.

Nice way to go, though............

HOLA4411

The spinach won out! We installed three SlugPubs: simply plastic containers sunk in the soil half-filled with beer.

The slugs seem to prefer Marston's Ashes Ale to Shepherd and Neam's Spitfire Ale!

this suggests itself as a name for a proper real ale - "Slug Slosher" "Slug Belter" or similar...

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

A sprinkling of table salt should work wonders....they will of disappeared by morning, the birds would have enjoyed them. ;)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest DisposableHeroes

SlugPubs. I like that.

HOLA4417
Yeah, salt those mo-fo's!

Keep leaving what look like Gizz trails on the carpet! Have they never heard of curtains?

wtf is a Gizz trail (OK I can guess, but don't think they come about that often - I mean "whoops I was playing with myself watching Sarah Beeny and left a gizz trail" - nah, not like slug trails)

I mean, comeon, if we're going to have metaphors can we at least have ones whose comparison actually convincingly exists, and if it does, actually bears rsemblance?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I collect them every 2 days or so, put them in a bucket and take to a park nearby my house, where I release them in the bushes. No mess, no killing and they're happier there as well.

Don't listen to all the others telling you to kill them with salt (how horrible!), beer etc... there's no need to be this cruel.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
wtf is a Gizz trail (OK I can guess, but don't think they come about that often - I mean "whoops I was playing with myself watching Sarah Beeny and left a gizz trail" - nah, not like slug trails)

I mean, comeon, if we're going to have metaphors can we at least have ones whose comparison actually convincingly exists, and if it does, actually bears rsemblance?

If I called it a pre-gizz trail, would that make more sense? You know, when you getting a tad aroused and start self lubricating.

Have a look in your y-fronts sometime.

HOLA4422

I prefer the salt method, but my mother warns me not to put too much salt on open ground, as if it's round your crops, it'll affect the plants...

I tried slug pubs (Tesco Value lager was very effective, and hideously cheap) but you have to clear them out on a regular basis, otherwise it all gets a bit grim (Sink an old takeaway box with the corners cut off into the ground, and half fill with beer).

Pellets work well, but if you can see where they die it's a bit disconcerting to see the dried up slugs in the morning.

I don't like the slipperiness of slugs, but I find the crunch of a snail shell quite satisfying, and just think of how many gardeners you're keeping happy by keeping the population down. :D

That or find yourself a friendly local frog (animal or frenchman, it matters not)

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Used coffee grounds sprinkled around plants seems to deter them quite a bit. I use a 'slug trap' for the rest. Take a 2L pop bottle and cut the neck end off and invert it into the body of the bottle sellotape the two bits together. Bait with cooked chicken bits, the slugs can get in but are unable to get out. Discard the whole sorry mess in the bin. (watch out for the recyling police though)

HOLA4425

Archived