House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest skullingtonjoe

Leaving Portsmouth

Guest skullingtonjoe

Well, it had to happen eventually. We`re leaving Portsmouth in the near future as today`s little run-in with chavs is just about as much as I can take.

Wife and I were heading to LIDL (Mrs Skullingtonjoe is Japanese; I spent a few years out there teaching English). As is the way in many parts of the far east, women often carry a parasol on sunny days. Unfortunately this is the second time that her carrying a parasol has sparked off an incident. It all got a little bit `physical` between me and said chavs, but I only dished out a few punches, (and got a few kicks in return). As I`m no Mike Tyson I can only imagine that the chavs received a few bruises at the very worst (although that`s enough to get you in hot water with the authorities!) :(

Police turned up at my home as I reported the incident. Mercifully I managed to avoid getting arrested as - according to what their control centre had received - it sounded like I had `kicked it off` (which I didn`t, trust me!) The police that turned up seemed to be more concerned about the fact that it was a football day and it seems that no further action will be taken (although I am under no illusion that if the chavs complain, I will be nicked!)

Portsmouth is a very unpleasant place to live and we`re going to research somewhere else in the UK. Ideally, I`d like to leave this country full stop. I have been to many countries; maybe I`m looking at things with `rose-tinted specs`, but the levels of behaviour are really bad here, especially with people hurling abuse. I just want to be able to go about my daily business without some trouble sparking off; it seems to be increasingly difficult these days and I am very p1ssed off with it. (And I`m not going to tell my wife not to use a parasol btw). ;)

Guest theboltonfury
Well, it had to happen eventually. We`re leaving Portsmouth in the near future as today`s little run-in with chavs is just about as much as I can take.

Wife and I were heading to LIDL (Mrs Skullingtonjoe is Japanese; I spent a few years out there teaching English). As is the way in many parts of the far east, women often carry a parasol on sunny days. Unfortunately this is the second time that her carrying a parasol has sparked off an incident. It all got a little bit `physical` between me and said chavs, but I only dished out a few punches, (and got a few kicks in return). As I`m no Mike Tyson I can only imagine that the chavs received a few bruises at the very worst (although that`s enough to get you in hot water with the authorities!) :(

Police turned up at my home as I reported the incident. Mercifully I managed to avoid getting arrested as - according to what their control centre has received - it sounded like I has `kicked it off` (which I didn`t, trust me!) The police that turned up seemed to be more concerned about the fact that it was a football day and it seems that no further action will be taken (although I am under no illusion that if the chavs complain, I will be nicked!)

Portsmouth is a very unpleasant place to live and we`re going to research somewhere else in the UK. Ideally, I`d like to leave this country full stop. I have been to many countries; maybe I`m looking at things with `rose-tinted specs`, but the levels of behaviour are really bad here, especially with people hurling abuse. I just want to be able to go about my daily business without some trouble sparking off; it seems to be increasingly difficult these days and I am very p1ssed off with it. (And I`m not going to tell my wife not to use a parasol btw). ;)

Was that the Lidl near Fratton park at the bottom of Telephone Road?

Know it well. Proper rough round there.

Guest skullingtonjoe
What is the significance of the parasol? Was there a racial aspect to the abuse you got?

That`s a very interesting point. No racially-harassing words were used, and I think the chavs were just fecking ignorant tbh. It would be tempting to go down the `racial harassment` route, but I think they were just tossers who felt that carrying an `umbrella` when it`s `not raining` made her an easy target.

Like I said, I just wish we could go about our business peacefully. We`ve got a holiday and other stuff booked, but by early next year we`re out of this shithole. (Although it sounds fluffy and oh-so-pc thanks for being sensitive about my wife`s culture. ;) We`ve been married eight years, when she came over here, and I think she`s just about had as much as she can take. I`m going to have to do something to try and sort our lives out for the better).

Guest skullingtonjoe
Was that the Lidl near Fratton park at the bottom of Telephone Road?

Know it well. Proper rough round there.

That`s the one.

Guest theboltonfury
That`s the one.

I lived down that road when it was being built. Beans were 1p a can.

I lived in Pompey for 4 years. That part of town and North End are as rough as Kerry Katona. I used to think it was a hole, but then I'd take lovely stroll on the beach, see Old Portsmouth and go and watch the boats come in at Spice Island and remember that it had its plus points too. When I lived in Warrington, I longed for those Pompey days.

To be fair to you, I returned there 4 years and saw the chav centre that's Gun Wharf and thought it had changed, but then wherever you move to will be equally as chavified.

edit - spotted an apostrophe error and that's not allowed.

Guest skullingtonjoe
I lived down that road when it was being built. Beans were 1p a can.

I lived in Pompey for 4 years. That part of town and North End are as rough as Kerry Katona. I used to think it was a hole, but then I'd take lovely stroll on the beach, see Old Portsmouth and go and watch the boats come in at Spice Island and remember that it had its plus points too. When I lived in Warrington, I longed for those Pompey days.

To be fair to you, I returned there 4 years and saw the chav centre that's Gun Wharf and thought it had changed, but then wherever you move to will be equally as chavified.

edit - spotted an apostrophe error and that's not allowed.

You`re right - Southsea, (the beach etc) is nice (although there is a nasty tendency for chavs to congregate on the beach during the warmer weather). You`re right about Gunwharf too - a real monstrosity for sure! ;)

Southsea is really nice -the only downside is that the rest of Portsmouth is sh1te. Wife and I have had quite a few discussions and although I`m getting pretty good medical support here and so on, the merits of staying here are not worthwhile. It`s a bit like a moth to a flame, or `Pandora`s Box`, I suppose: although I have more or less everything I need in Southsea, I`m always keeping an eye out for a bargain and that means taking a `chance` by going into Portsmouth.

This is the first time it`s `kicked off` for me in the LIDL area, and I`m getting tired of the fact that most of Portsmouth is off-limits to me in a form of self-imposed `exile`.

I avoid: Fratton, (now including Goldsmith Avenue); Portsea, Buckland and Somers Town.

This kind of `no-go` mentality is really depressing and we`re now thinking seriously about leaving the UK, as I doubt any towns or cities in the UK will be of any great difference. :( Fortunately, I`ve lived in a few countries, so I`ve got a shortlist.

I fu<king hates chavs - subhuman scum, the lot of `em! :angry:

Guest Parry aka GOD

Police turned up at my home as I reported the incident. Mercifully I managed to avoid getting arrested as - according to what their control centre had received - it sounded like I had `kicked it off` (which I didn`t, trust me!) The police that turned up seemed to be more concerned about the fact that it was a football day and it seems that no further action will be taken (although I am under no illusion that if the chavs complain, I will be nicked!)

Seriously, just leave that country if you can.

I know how bad the place can be.

Guest anorthosite

I'd suggest you come up to the highlands if you can. I don't know what your line of work is but there's lots of little towns and villages just outside the big towns that are a delight to live in.

Guest Skinty

Three useful questions I'd be asking myself if I was in your shoes.

1) Is the situation going to improve over time?

2) If not, then what action is necessary for the situation to improve?

3) Is this action likely to happen in the near future?

Guest Parry aka GOD
Dude, you went to LIDL. If you don't want to be surrounded by shite don't swim in the sewer.

During thankfully brief, fleeting visits to the Septic Isle I used to do a Lidl shop . . . the sandwich ham had no added water. Good stuff.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Three useful questions I'd be asking myself if I was in your shoes.

1) Is the situation going to improve over time?

2) If not, then what action is necessary for the situation to improve?

3) Is this action likely to happen in the near future?

1) No,

2) Get out of Portsmouth; better still UK.

3) Maybe in the next 2-3 years regarding departure from UK; maybe sooner if I can get things together will all haste.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Dude, you went to LIDL. If you don't want to be surrounded by shite don't swim in the sewer.

True. However, this LIDL is usually free of chavs and is much less chavtastic than Tesco or Chavda. I think it was just bad luck that we happened upon the chavs en route (albeit quite close to LIDL having said that).

Trouble is, without a crystal ball, I`ve got no way of knowing what shit`s going to come my way. (I guess you wouldn`t want to know if a jet engine was going to fall out of the sky onto you, but I`d love to have someone predict the movements of chavs, just like we have weather forecasters!). I can imagine if that were the case, the UK map would be covered with Burberry baseball caps! :rolleyes:

Guest Parry aka GOD
True. However, this LIDL is usually free of chavs and is much less chavtastic than Tesco or Chavda. I think it was just bad luck that we happened upon the chavs en route (albeit quite close to LIDL having said that).

Trouble is, without a crystal ball, I`ve got no way of knowing what shit`s going to come my way. (I guess you wouldn`t want to know if a jet engine was going to fall out of the sky onto you, but I`d love to have someone predict the movements of chavs, just like we have weather forecasters!). I can imagine if that were the case, the UK map would be covered with Burberry baseball caps! :rolleyes:

Genius!

Start with a map, a hotspot map of chavs, ChavSpot. Then introduce the Chavometer. Like the device for tracking ghosts in Ghostbusters.

Nothing wrong with Lidl you snob

Guest Skinty

"People are advised to stay indoors today because of an exceptionally high chav-count, increasing until late tonight. Saturday morning will be relatively mild, except for a few localised incidences in the early hours that may be encountered if you are out walking your dog. These will be mild in intensity though and will pass quickly. A high chav-count is also forecast for Saturday night but will be milder than Friday due to the rain."

Guest skullingtonjoe
"People are advised to stay indoors today because of an exceptionally high chav-count, increasing until late tonight. Saturday morning will be relatively mild, except for a few localised incidences in the early hours that may be encountered if you are out walking your dog. These will be mild in intensity though and will pass quickly. A high chav-count is also forecast for Saturday night but will be milder than Friday due to the rain."

Thanks. Hope you`re more accurate than the BBC! ;):lol:

Crap when just coz someone is 'different' people seem to think that is a great excuse to have a go.

Im fortunate to live in a country market town, but travel across the UK for work - there are some real shitholes out there.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

And to all the ignorant toss-pots (and there are a few that reside on this site!) - shame on you.

Nothing wrong with Lidl you snob

Absolutely. I am actually a LIDL snob and look down upon the muppets who go to the heavily-advertised supermarkets to buy branded goods.

Guest skullingtonjoe
No, he's not a snob, just ignorant I suspect. <_<

I used to live in North London and since coming down to the South coast on our first trip to Lidi, we estimated a 30% plus saving on our usual Sainsbury's shop there.

Sorry to the OP. :(

I know that area, I use the strip joint for stripping doors occasionally, rough as a badger's bottom.

If you must live there try perhaps Hill head, Lee on the Solent or Alverstoke, although those areas are west of Pompey and the other side of the M27.

I just think that LIDL offers pretty good food at a reasonable price. Of course, you could load up with a pile of utter crap, but you could do the same at Tesco, Chavda, Sainsburys and even Waitrose (although it would be in an `organic` way I suppose!)

Some of LIDL`s fruit are in season - the honeydew watermelon is lovely compared to the crud on sale in Tesco. I could go on. Suffice it to say that I just feel that I should be able to shop more or less where I like without intimidation or harassment. I am fu<king pissed off that this is the second time my wife has had abuse hurled her way (the first time was in 2005 when some chav tried to pull her parasol away from her; the female chav with him accused me of `getting my wife off the internet` and spat at her). Given this abuse I dished out a few slaps on both of their sorry asses and ended up getting done for it! The ironic thing is that one of the chavs was black (or mixed race!) So much for multiculturalism - a failed experiment if ever there was - then! Ironically, my wife`s command of English is probably much better than the average chav; also, she didn`t require translation services when she arrived and has done her best to try and integrate into this society, although lately her opinion has been `why bother?` (and I cannot say I blame her).

I want to leave Portsmouth - and indeed the UK - as I`ve had a few run-ins with the law whenever I`ve tried to defend myself (I admit I don`t know when to stop), and I want to start over again. I`ve been to a few countries and - I know there are far worse places than the UK - I feel that this is one of the worst in terms of self-respect and conduct in the general population. A pretty damning indictment, but one that I feel is justified, particularly with reference to the threads about the assault on the Greek woman and chav holidays to Latvia.

Sorry I`ve ranted and stuck the boot in on the UK, but I am at the end of my tether. And of course, I am still expecting another visit from the police within the next few days to months about this matter. :( Hopefully we`ll have moved by then ;)

The problem is I think most cities are like this now. Just try and stay in Southsea for the time being. Have you thought about Chichester? Although no doubt things are bad there also.

The problem is I think most cities are like this now. Just try and stay in Southsea for the time being. Have you thought about Chichester? Although no doubt things are bad there also.

Stay north of the train station and Chichester is bearable. Although we have to pay twice as much for the privilege!

Actually some of the villages between Portsmouth and Chichester are pretty nice - the good bits of Havant and Emsworth, Southbourne/Nutbourne/Fishbourne, and Bosham. After that it's Selsey, Bognor, Littlehampton and Worthing - chav enclaves all.

Chichester is near perfect, but I guess it's quite expensive.

Never been to Southsea, and I think Gunwharf is pleasant. But Portsmouth is generally a shithole - streets filled with leather faced alcos screeching at each other. There's even a middle-aged chav couple who scoot around on those buggies for the disabled with reg plates reading Bonny and Clyde. And the courts there are the busiest on the south coast for crime and debt.