House Price Crash Forum
Mikhail Liebenstein

At The Risk Of Starting Another Gold Thread

What with the recent bounce in the Pound, I have decided to splash out on somemore of the Yellow Metal which is down 12% from 6 months ago in GBP terms. I am using my Gold Money Account this time, as whilst its easy to store gold at home I don't really like doing it as its far to easy to steal and most insurers don't like it - my wife also thinks we already have enough heavy fabric coated door stops (bugger given it away... only joking).

What with the recent bounce in the Pound, I have decided to splash out on somemore of the Yellow Metal which is down 12% from 6 months ago in GBP terms. I am using my Gold Money Account this time, as whilst its easy to store gold at home I don't really like doing it as its far to easy to steal and most insurers don't like it - my wife also thinks we already have enough heavy fabric coated door stops (bugger given it away... only joking).

A good time to turn sterling into something. ;)

A good time to turn sterling into something. ;)

A lot of people seem to think that houses are a good "something" at the moment.

I prefer TIPS with a splash of shiny yellow stuff ......

This begs a question about gold investments. Which time scale is best to look at? The last month, last 6 months, or last 6 years?

In the last 10 years, why has did gold not rise much at all between 1999 and 2005, and then shoot up over the last 4 years?

goldchart.png

I look at that graph, and it just looks like another bubble to me - what exactly caused the explosion in gold price to start 5 years ago, what happened, or started happening in 2005 to cause this?

What with the recent bounce in the Pound, I have decided to splash out on somemore of the Yellow Metal which is down 12% from 6 months ago in GBP terms.

And yet we would mock bulls for saying "I'm snapping up BTL's because they are 15% cheaper than a year ago" - what's the difference here? How do we work out what the 'fundamentals' are for gold? How much 'should' gold be worth?

Edited by JoeDavola

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
In the last 10 years, why has did gold not rise much at all between 1999 and 2005, and then shoot up over the last 4 years?

goldchart.png

I look at that graph, and it just looks like another bubble to me - what exactly caused the explosion in gold price to start 5 years ago, what happened, or started happening in 2005 to cause this?

And yet we would mock bulls for saying "I'm snapping up BTL's because they are 15% cheaper than a year ago" - what's the difference here? How do we work out what the 'fundamentals' are for gold? How much 'should' gold be worth?

I've taken a look at the other precious metals graphs, looks like time for gold to follow down

goldchart.png

between 99 & 2006, gold doubled. since 2006 it has less than doubled, you are looking at it on the wrong scale, over the time period you are looking which is longer term the graph should be semi logged otherwise it gives a false visual view, its certainly in a bull market but i think it is the early stages of a long term bull market and regarding buying its all about trend.

property i believe has started a long term bear market which is why buying property now is a bad choice, having said that whist im really positive on gold over the next few months, im negative on it ove a 2-3 year time period and am looking at 2012 ish as the time i'll buy heavily

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

goldchart.png

China started buying maybe?

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200512/2...226_230907.html

goldchart.png

Worth? In what? In pounds?

The OP is buying gold because he is concerned about the pound as a measure of value, or worth.

This spreading concern will keep the price up/going up.... it is being re-monetized imo.

Edited by roman holiday

I've taken a look at the other precious metals graphs, looks like time for gold to follow down

I am expecting a slight pullback in the pog very soon, timed hopefully with my following purchase.

some posters buy gold every week regardless of the price.

silver may be the one to make the most money from, but it's very volatile. The historic price of silver makes it look a better buy than gold at the moment BUT you can't beat gold for a solid store of wealth, especially at times like these.

all IMHO of course. ;)

folks ive cashed in all my stocks. im now 100% £.

ive £26k in my shares ISA in cash.

i reckon i should stick the lot in commodites based currency and silver and gold?

best way to go about silver+gold within a shares ISA?

anyway of getting commodites based currency exposure within shares isa?

Edited by getdoon_weebobby

folks ive cashed in all my stocks. im now 100% £.

ive £26k in my shares ISA in cash.

i reckon i should stick the lot in commodites based currency and silver and gold?

best way to go about silver+gold within a shares ISA?

anyway of getting commodites based currency exposure within shares isa?

not sure whether you are taking the p1ss......

do not buy ETF (paper) gold/silver, buy ONLY physical & hold it yourself.

unprecedented times remember. :ph34r:

do not buy ETF (paper) gold/silver, buy ONLY physical & hold it yourself.

unprecedented times remember. :ph34r:

I think that's a bit extreme

goldchart.png

In answer to your question, somebody called Bown offloaded half his country's gold reserves onto the market at the lowest possible price in 1999.

There is a agreement with all the major cetral banks that they can sell up to 500 tonnes a year. Up to about 2005 they did sell large amounts which did depress the price. However declining production, declining selling by the cental banks, China covertly buying and the loss of faith in toilet paper has contributed to it's recent rise.

This begs a question about gold investments. Which time scale is best to look at? The last month, last 6 months, or last 6 years?

You don't look at gold in the past, you look at gold in the future. Gold is about the future faith you have in your govt and the economic system it perpetuates.

So the logic is your a fool to buy gold or property as they have both boomed in recent years!

But thats to argue they are the same thing but the fact are last september we were on the edge and all paper fiat money could had become worhtless if drastic action was not taken.

House on the other had have become carrots and will be taxed to death to pay for the banksters bailout so during a war buy guns and during peace buy cars, both will boom but look at the fundimentals.