House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eric pebble

Mps Are In Top 3% Of British Earners Even If They Don't Claim A Penny In Expenses

MPs are in top 3% of British earners - even if they don't claim a penny in expenses

The salaries received by MPs before their expenses are taken into account puts them in the top 3% of the British population by earnings, it was claimed today.

Their basic pay of £64,766 means they are the fourth highest-paid politicians in Europe, with only Italian, Austrian and Irish legislators earning more.

And once the public subsidy for their gold-plated pensions - worth £17,468 a year - is factored in, a backbencher actually earns £82,234 a year.

So they're going to understand and empathise with the bloke/blokette in the street? I think not. It's incredible; even after all that expenses debacle, our representatives are floating in another world altogether.

AND - The fact that they think they need such a high "salary" speaks volumes: i.e. The cost of living in the UK is extremely high - and if you want to be comfortable - you NEED to "earn" well over £60k pa. AND YET - the vast majority don't. Except the Banksters of course.....

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...l#ixzz0NaFX1xQD

Edited by eric pebble

Mps Are In Top 3% Of British Earners ... So they know what it's like to be ordinary.... NOT.

If your idea of qualification for being a member of parliament is that "... they know what it's like to be ordinary ... " then I suggest you go around down-and-out doss-houses once every five years or so and take 650 inmates to Westminster.

Alternatively, you could have a General Election and ask people to vote based on their views of those who have put their names forward and seconded by, iirc, 100 people. Whether 'knowing what it's like to be ordinary' comes high in the electors' priorities will soon become clear. I don't think it has ever appeared in the top one hundred issues that people care about in the past. But, we never know!

If your idea of qualification for being a member of parliament is that "... they know what it's like to be ordinary ... " then I suggest you go around down-and-out doss-houses once every five years or so and take 650 inmates to Westminster.

Alternatively, you could have a General Election and ask people to vote based on their views of those who have put their names forward and seconded by, iirc, 100 people. Whether 'knowing what it's like to be ordinary' comes high in the electors' priorities will soon become clear. I don't think it has ever appeared in the top one hundred issues that people care about in the past. But, we never know!

Is it going to happen? .............no.

If someone earning £63k is in the top 3% of earners why are those on £60k in London eligible for government aid to buy shared ownership flats. £60k would struggle to buy you a one bed flat in much of London.

Just shows the madness of it all!

If someone earning £63k is in the top 3% of earners why are those on £60k in London eligible for government aid to buy shared ownership flats. £60k would struggle to buy you a one bed flat in much of London.

Just shows the madness of it all!

They shouldn't be. Full stop.

AND - The fact that they think they need such a high "salary" speaks volumes: i.e. The cost of living in the UK is extremely high - and if you want to be comfortable - you NEED to "earn" well over £60k pa. AND YET - the vast majority don't. Except the Banksters of course.....

No, but the vast majority - including households with incomes at double the national average - receive extensive welfare payments, and/or benefits in kind. It would be perfectly possible to live comfortably on £15k a year if you didn't lose half of it (once NI, VAT, duties on various things etc.) in tax immediately.

The cost of living in the UK is extremely high - and if you want to be comfortable - you NEED to "earn" well over £60k pa.

Eric, most of what you say I can't question but the above is total poppycock. No way does anyone NEED to earn over £60k pa to be comfortable...many that earn far less and are far more comfortable and happier than those that earn more. ;)

Try this.

http://www.ifs.org.uk/wheredoyoufitin/

Let the MPs do their worst they will pay themselves a wage they think they deserve, even though they know there are others that are more deserving. ;)

According to that, I am (cunnSSiderabbbly) richer than 94% of the population. Alright, we've just had twins, but how come I can't afford a summer holiday this year and have just cancelled Sky ???

Eric, most of what you say I can't question but the above is total poppycock. No way does anyone NEED to earn over £60k pa to be comfortable...many that earn far less and are far more comfortable and happier than those that earn more. ;)

I should like to second this post...

One does not NEED to earn in excess of £60K p.a. to be comfy...It might well help tho'

Happiness has nothing whatsoever to do with income.

MPs are in top 3% of British earners - even if they don't claim a penny in expenses

The salaries received by MPs before their expenses are taken into account puts them in the top 3% of the British population by earnings, it was claimed today.

Their basic pay of £64,766 means they are the fourth highest-paid politicians in Europe, with only Italian, Austrian and Irish legislators earning more.

And once the public subsidy for their gold-plated pensions - worth £17,468 a year - is factored in, a backbencher actually earns £82,234 a year.

So they're going to understand and empathise with the bloke/blokette in the street? I think not. It's incredible; even after all that expenses debacle, our representatives are floating in another world altogether.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...l#ixzz0NaFX1xQD

Money Pigs

The vast majority of MPs are also over 40, which means that they have no real understanding of the problems they have created for the next generation. How many, for example, have owned a house since before 1997?