House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

B T Lers To Be State Regulated

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life...icle6788061.ece

.../

Laws will be introduced to require private landlords to register online, for a £40 fee, and agree to a set of standards before they can let property. The register, which will include the names and addresses of landlords, and all their properties, will allow councils to intervene where tenants complain, and ban landlords from letting property if they fail to address problems.

But the consultation exercise, which ends tomorrow, makes clear that Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will also be given access to the database, prompting fears it will try to raise tax from homeowners keen to raise a little cash.

I have recently signed a 6 month SH tenancy after looking at quite a few properties east of Brighton. Most were appalling with brown stains on the ceiling from decades of smoking and all kinds of horros encrusted into carpets etc. There are no standards and ist about time we started cracking down on Landlords who get away with charging exhorbitant rents for slum-condition properties.

In the US, apartments have to have carpets steam cleaned (by the Landlord) and fresh paint applied to the walls in many instances. Filthy kazis and grease encrusted kitchenb walls will not work. The place I have just rented was not "that" bad but I had to rent a carpet cleaner before moving in to get the carpets into the sort of conditoin that you could walk on them without turning your socks black.

.../

Laws will be introduced to require private landlords to register online, for a £40 fee, and agree to a set of standards before they can let property. The register, which will include the names and addresses of landlords, and all their properties, will allow councils to intervene where tenants complain, and ban landlords from letting property if they fail to address problems.

But the consultation exercise, which ends tomorrow, makes clear that Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will also be given access to the database, prompting fears it will try to raise tax from homeowners keen to raise a little cash.

I have recently signed a 6 month SH tenancy after looking at quite a few properties east of Brighton. Most were appalling with brown stains on the ceiling from decades of smoking and all kinds of horros encrusted into carpets etc. There are no standards and ist about time we started cracking down on Landlords who get away with charging exhorbitant rents for slum-condition properties.

In the US, apartments have to have carpets steam cleaned (by the Landlord) and fresh paint applied to the walls in many instances. Filthy kazis and grease encrusted kitchenb walls will not work. The place I have just rented was not "that" bad but I had to rent a carpet cleaner before moving in to get the carpets into the sort of conditoin that you could walk on them without turning your socks black.

coursem that means you can leave the carpets in the state you found them.

if a landlord professionally cleans a place, they will demand you do the same when you leave.

I personally think a charge is unfair unless you have made the place very dirty....i mean, when you hire a car, you dont clean it your self when you take it back....its part of the costs of running a hire business.

I've never rented (still at home!) so never knew it could be that bad, That really is pretty bad..... An absolute scandal that nothing's been done about it. Too many average Joes wanting easy money.

coursem that means you can leave the carpets in the state you found them.

if a landlord professionally cleans a place, they will demand you do the same when you leave.

I personally think a charge is unfair unless you have made the place very dirty....i mean, when you hire a car, you dont clean it your self when you take it back....its part of the costs of running a hire business.

Depends WHICH hire company - the "full price" ones don't charge you for cleaning, but I am pretty sure thaty Easycar (Stelios!) does. Bring it back clean, your rental is cheaper, leave it for them to clean, you pay more.....

Depends WHICH hire company - the "full price" ones don't charge you for cleaning, but I am pretty sure thaty Easycar (Stelios!) does. Bring it back clean, your rental is cheaper, leave it for them to clean, you pay more.....

I just knew the vast data resource that is HPC would find the exception that proves the rule.

.../

haha this is quite funny watching the cycle element of this, it wouldnt suprise me if the end game of this multi decade property cycle is that by the time trhe bust is through ASTs will be practically non existent and the old tenanting laws of the 70s are back in place

God. Renting. The scummy condition of the properties, the brillo-pad carpet tiles, rough hessian sack-cloth foors, or peeling lino. The fungal colony bathroom. The congealed rancid fat covering the crumbling kitchen. The depressing magnolia. The high rents. Some fat ****** trying to steal your deposit because you've somehow managed to make the dank miserable hole worse!

Anything that puts off the buy to let scum has to be a good thing. Regulate the pigs.

I've never rented (still at home!) so never knew it could be that bad, That really is pretty bad..... An absolute scandal that nothing's been done about it. Too many average Joes wanting easy money.
Not all LLs are like that. I rent and my present LL is excellent. I've been renting from him for over 10 years. He is a professional LL, has hundreds of props, and has been doing it for 30 years. I'm a good tenant as well.

Reminds me of the "joke" I used to crack about asking visitors to remove their shoes at the door, to stop them getting dirty.

.../

The National Landlords Association, which is opposed to a national register, said that giving details to the Revenue would set a dangerous precedent as at present tax inspectors only have access to details of a landlord where they can obtain evidence of tax evasion. Richard Price, director of operations at the NLA, said he was also against any extension to spare-room landlords: “There should be more effective ways for HMRC to find tax evaders that do not result in homeowners withdrawing their contribution to the housing shortage.â€
Shelter, representing the homeless, said that the proposed register did not go far enough

So landlords of property think they have a right to tax evasion and provide standards of accommodation as they are angelic saviours of the poor?

Shelter flip the bird towards these lords of land.

Reminds me of the "joke" I used to crack about asking visitors to remove their shoes at the door, to stop them getting dirty.

yeah, wipe your feet as you leave.

Guest Skinty
God. Renting. The scummy condition of the properties, the brillo-pad carpet tiles, rough hessian sack-cloth foors, or peeling lino. The fungal colony bathroom. The congealed rancid fat covering the crumbling kitchen. The depressing magnolia. The high rents. Some fat ****** trying to steal your deposit because you've somehow managed to make the dank miserable hole worse!

Anything that puts off the buy to let scum has to be a good thing. Regulate the pigs.

That's my experience of renting.

And if you get a new BTL'er who has a nice shiny house then they will nick your deposit even if you leave it in immaculate condition.

As usual may I suggest that people write to the minister who is proposing this:

john@johndenham.org.uk

I wrote a letter along these lines:

Dear Mr Denham

I just read this article in the Times:

John Denham wants to fast-track plans for database of landlords

I'd just like to say that I wholeheartedly support these plans.

With house prices so high in this country and the supply of homes so low, it is important that private landlords are regulated in some way. I have personally witnessed landlords who avoid taxation while affording poor rights to me as a tenant.

During the housing bubble, I also found that landlords constantly "snapped up" properties that I could have afforded and led to me being priced out of the market. These landlords may or may not have gone on to be good landlords but the thought that they priced me out and maybe went on to avoid tax really upsets me.

I applaud your attempts to clamp down on rogue landlords.

Regards

And if you get a new BTL'er who has a nice shiny house then they will nick your deposit even if you leave it in immaculate condition.

The whole real estate thing is about charging people for things you aren't actually supplying

Keeping the deposit feels right to many landlords, because they are conditioned emotionally to being able to charge without supplying anything

Edited by Stars

.../

Whilst I'd entirely agree that it is the landlords job ot make sure places are clean and presentable.... it is also very often tenants who skip out , not paying the last six weeks rental or so and leaving the place in a scummy state... theres responsibility on both parties here. Many tenants in holiday cottages leave the place in shocking condition... ovens not cleaned, washing up left not finished , beds a mess... personally I'd never be able to do that but some people seem to lack any kind of personal standards...landlords and tenants.

Whilst I'd entirely agree that it is the landlords job ot make sure places are clean and presentable.... it is also very often tenants who skip out , not paying the last six weeks rental or so and leaving the place in a scummy state... theres responsibility on both parties here. Many tenants in holiday cottages leave the place in shocking condition... ovens not cleaned, washing up left not finished , beds a mess... personally I'd never be able to do that but some people seem to lack any kind of personal standards...landlords and tenants.

The difference is the landlord is charging you for a supposed service and the previous tenant isn't

Edited by Stars

The difference is the landlord is charging you for a supposed service and the previous tenant isn't

Oh sure but in many cases the tenant has signed up to a contratc they then break so theres fault on all sides here.

Guest Skinty
Whilst I'd entirely agree that it is the landlords job ot make sure places are clean and presentable.... it is also very often tenants who skip out , not paying the last six weeks rental or so and leaving the place in a scummy state...

That's what I've learnt to do after realising that no matter how clean I leave the place, I won't get the deposit back.

Except I do make sure that it is as clean as I found it and I use a camcorder to record the place so there should be no excuse for them to come after me. I'd heartily recommend it to anyone.

For those of you that think this is a UK problem, I've been invited to rent properties in Germany that match the previous description (I walked).

tim

The National Landlords Association, which is opposed to a national register, said that giving details to the Revenue would set a dangerous precedent as at present tax inspectors only have access to details of a landlord where they can obtain evidence of tax evasion. Richard Price, director of operations at the NLA, said he was also against any extension to spare-room landlords: “There should be more effective ways for HMRC to find tax evaders that do not result in homeowners withdrawing their contribution to the housing shortage.â€

Then they aren't thinking laterally enough.

One of the advantages (to the landlord) of this register is that you are now going to be able to confirm that the "previous landlord's" reference is actually from the landlord and not a friend down the pub.

tim

That's what I've learnt to do after realising that no matter how clean I leave the place, I won't get the deposit back.

Except I do make sure that it is as clean as I found it and I use a camcorder to record the place so there should be no excuse for them to come after me. I'd heartily recommend it to anyone.

You may be an angel but theres blame both ways here.