House Price Crash Forum

Poland Complains About Top Gear ' Berlin To Warsaw In One Tank'

loginandtonic

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/5...sion-spoof.html

...the Polish embassy wrote in an official letter of complaint that the German invasion of Poland was an inappropriate subject for humour.

"We understand that Mr Clarkson often jokes about various European nations, about Germans or the French. But we believe that a joke about the Nazi German invasion of Poland is not a proper way to make people laugh," the letter said...

Have to question the stability and maturity of a Polish administration that concerns itself with a light-hearted humorous sketch on a motoring programme. It's almost an April Fool's joke that they'd bother. Lack of a sense of humour is never a good sign in any person or any country.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I remember sitting in a bar in Poland, and mentioning the Germans. Very very racist response. Hardly a shock though. Strangely enough, there are loads of ethnic Germans still living in Poland. Wonder how they find it. :unsure:

Rather than worrying about Clarkson, the government there should try building a country where the young actually want to remain. I have Poles in my family who live abroad because they find the place so stultifying.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
I remember sitting in a bar in Poland, and mentioning the Germans. Very very racist response. Hardly a shock though. Strangely enough, there are loads of ethnic Germans still living in Poland. Wonder how they find it. :unsure:

R.

The Germans and the Poles both hate the Russians. Usually, you can find some common ground with just about anyone.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
The Germans and the Poles both hate the Russians. Usually, you can find some common ground with just about anyone.

very true

Yea? Then how about the part of WWII called Holocaust? I bet that if you made a joke on TV about some Jews in ashtray there would Moses himself protesting.

well eric, my grandparents died in holocaust camps plus about 20 other cousins (at least) died at various extermination camps too, along with other relatives of mine as soldiers fighting alongside the Allies who never came home, and that top gear spoof didnt bother me one bit because it was a piece of humorous entertainment and thats one of the things that keeps us all sane.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Have to question the stability and maturity of a Polish administration that concerns itself with a light-hearted humorous sketch on a motoring programme. It's almost an April Fool's joke that they'd bother. Lack of a sense of humour is never a good sign in any person or any country.

Agreed totally. Clarkson well and truly got the last laugh out of that one, as he has done with his previous comments about Brown. Such comments endear him to those of us who resent political correctness, and then the PC brigade rising to the bait just makes it funnier.

As for humour about the Nazis, it goes back almost as far as the Nazis themselves. It was an essential tool in fighting them at the time they were a serious problem, and has been an important strategy in minimising the risk of their political ideology being taken seriously again since.

HOLA4416
Agreed totally. Clarkson well and truly got the last laugh out of that one, as he has done with his previous comments about Brown. Such comments endear him to those of us who resent political correctness, and then the PC brigade rising to the bait just makes it funnier.

As for humour about the Nazis, it goes back almost as far as the Nazis themselves. It was an essential tool in fighting them at the time they were a serious problem, and has been an important strategy in minimising the risk of their political ideology being taken seriously again since.

go check out radio maryja in poland, and they have a uk branch, not pretty if reports are true http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,413976,00.html

Hitler’s Daughter on Radio Maryja in production

28.07.2009 14:32

British controversial filmmaker Aro Korol is releasing a film entitled Hitler’s Daughter, about the controversial Catholic priest Father Tadeusz Rydzyk and his radio station ‘Radio Maryja.’see http://www.polskieradio.pl/thenews/interna...production.html

(most Poles in the uk dont support RM at all btw + are thoroughly decent people)

HOLA4417

having been in Krakow and having gone to Auschwitz-Birkenau recently and having asked a few locals who they hated more (great bar room chat...), the answer was unequivocal - the Nazis. If you've seen the exhibitions, visited the sites and seen the sheer scale of Birkenau, you'd see why the Poles absolutely hate the Nazis - not necessarily the Germans.

Having said that, Clarkson's ad was funny - in that being embarrassed when you find yourself laughing when you know you shouldn't way.....

Archived