House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

uptherebels

Car Buying Scam

A friend at work sent an email to someone selling a car on a well known auto website. He got an email back in poorly written english, telling him that he (the seller) is out of the country. The car is in London. He wants my friend to get someone else to transfer the price of the car to him (the buyer), to prove that he is genuinely interested. Then scan the transfer document, and email it to him (the seller). Then he will fly in, and meet up in London to complete the deal.

This all sounds dodgy to me. Anyone know how this works? Could the seller cash the copied money transfer, even though it's not made out to him?

A friend at work sent an email to someone selling a car on a well known auto website. He got an email back in poorly written english, telling him that he (the seller) is out of the country. The car is in London. He wants my friend to get someone else to transfer the price of the car to him (the buyer), to prove that he is genuinely interested. Then scan the transfer document, and email it to him (the seller). Then he will fly in, and meet up in London to complete the deal.

This all sounds dodgy to me. Anyone know how this works? Could the seller cash the copied money transfer, even though it's not made out to him?

This is defo a scam. Let me guess, car much cheaper than it should be, no phone number or address for the seller. If it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

edited to add - the scams on autortrader stand out a mile. I dont know why they dont make more of an effort to take the ads down, its almost as bad as ebay.

Sounds a bit like this. Receipts apparently.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.a...an%20for%20sale?

OTOH ive made every mistake possible buying cars before - letting the other guy take care of the v5, buying from the side of he road sold as seen etc, never had any problems, albeit probably more through luck than anything.

The tricks are legion.Even doing the deal in the drive of someone on holiday to lull the buyer into the security of thinking they know where the buyer lives.In the trade "callbirds" is a common one.You advertise a car at a keen price.Then callers are told it's gone but you have another.Ok it's a year older and done more miles.....You would be surprised how often it works especially on small "kids" cars when they are desperate to get ion the road and daddy doesn't want to disappoint.