House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oracle

Planespotting

Yep

Loads of USAF flying over to Europe(German bases etc).

Last time they did this was build-ups for the Gulf Wars!

I have noticed other threads mention extra big military helicopters, but not noticed it myself. I live faily close to Gatwick and haven't seen any appreciable rise. Having said that, I work in central london and have heard a few roars of what may have been aircraft near by, but not left the desk to find out as unusual noises are quite normal in central london,

Loads of USAF flying over to Europe(German bases etc).
Delivery of new equipment to replace obsolete stuff? Could be perfectly innocent explanation.

Guest DisposableHeroes

I haven't noticed anything different. I read a post a couple of day's ago about seeing more military aircraft in London. Whether that the case or not?

Guest KingCharles1st

Ooooh errr missus-

I am a military aircraft enthusiast, and must say that over the last few weeks I have seen quite a bit of stuff flying around - it seemed "out of the ordinary" but hadn't struck me as particularly "odd."

Now however.... :unsure:

Only today I saw two large helo's flying VERY LOW - not types I recognised- I thought they were Merlins- but not like the attached photo of a Merlin- they had a large vertical tailplane that stuck out to port- ie, where the rotor is on this Merlin.

Either there is a large training mission going on to supply more copters/crews to Afghanistan in the wake of knee jerk negative reporting, or possivly building up for something else.

I would offer the first- as I have seen AH-64's over Hertfordshire (evil things) and also pairs of civil lookinghelo's, flying in loose formation, which again tends to support the training scenario.

MerlinHM1_ZH854.jpg

The merlins have a tailplane attached to the rear starboard side KC.

Maybe they added another to the port and are testing it out?

Not seen any unusual planes, but I have noticed the odd Soviet sub.

Guest DisposableHeroes
Alien invasion, epicentre Norton-sub-Hamden

I wish there was a little Alien Invasion. I just think it would make the news a bit more interesting.

Presumably civil air traffic will be at a peak due to holidays.Military I have seen a couple of very large aircraft at vapour trail height.They could be B52s because during the bombing of the Afghan mountains we saw them here (East Anglia coast) or alternatively the big USAF transports.