House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
uncle_monty

Monty's Friday Thought

Anyone else wonder at the peverse double standards of your typical Mail / Express-reading homeowner?

Premise A: "My house is worth peak 2007 prices because a cash rich foreigner or Euro-type will come in and snap it up. Nearly 50% cheaper in foreign currency, so this is holding up the price of my house. Whoopee, aren't I rich, successful and clever!".

Premise B: "Bloody foreigners! Coming over here taking our women and jobs. Different ways of living. Crime......etc...."

So your typical Brit is happy to take the money from wherever it may come from to maintain the illusion of "property wealth", yet continue to baulk at the corrollary, which is the increasingly diverse make up of society. Nowhere is this truer than in London.

Orwellian doublethink of the highest order. You couldn't make it up!! :lol::lol::lol:

Hehehe - sounds exactly the same as the attitude of some locals here in La Charente...

Must be a worldwide phenomenon.

Sounds like a pointless and unfounded rant at the Daily wail to me. As if anyone outside of Landan Tarn expected or expects a foreigner to buy their house.

Sounds like a typical Guardian reader whinge to me.

What are you going to read after the next election when the Guardian loses its monopoly on public sector job advertising and goes bankrupt?

Why aren't all the jobs just advertised on a Government website?

The Guardian and its readers have had their day, the next decade will belong to the readers of the Daily Mail and the Sun.

That's GameOver's friday thought.

:rolleyes:

The objective is just to rant full stop.

If you read the stories over time, you notice that one time they take one position, then a few weeks down the line they take the exact opposite.

DM even had a story about "why analog radio is better than digital radio" a few months ago...

Anyone else wonder at the peverse double standards of your typical Mail / Express-reading homeowner?

Premise A: "My house is worth peak 2007 prices because a cash rich foreigner or Euro-type will come in and snap it up. Nearly 50% cheaper in foreign currency, so this is holding up the price of my house. Whoopee, aren't I rich, successful and clever!".

Premise B: "Bloody foreigners! Coming over here taking our women and jobs. Different ways of living. Crime......etc...."

So your typical Brit is happy to take the money from wherever it may come from to maintain the illusion of "property wealth", yet continue to baulk at the corrollary, which is the increasingly diverse make up of society. Nowhere is this truer than in London.

Orwellian doublethink of the highest order. You couldn't make it up!! :lol: :lol::lol:

About sums it up hypocritical to the end....BTW the DM makes me feel depresed not good for the BP.

;)

What exactly is the Daily Mail readership demographic? Both real and targetted (I assume they're similar).

I always picture a smug baby boomer who's doing very nicely thank you jack who thinks we should go back to the fifties. Until very recently this archetypal Daily Mail reader either had or wanted to have a retirement villa in Spain, had no coloured friends (my use of that adjective is ironic) and wanted to bring back national service.

I would say "do these pr1ck5 really exist?" but the paper is still going so I guess they must do.

What exactly is the Daily Mail readership demographic? Both real and targetted (I assume they're similar).

I always picture a smug baby boomer who's doing very nicely thank you jack who thinks we should go back to the fifties. Until very recently this archetypal Daily Mail reader either had or wanted to have a retirement villa in Spain, had no coloured friends (my use of that adjective is ironic) and wanted to bring back national service.

I would say "do these pr1ck5 really exist?" but the paper is still going so I guess they must do.

The Mail is massively popular. All print media have got serious business model issues but the Mail's much stronger than other tabloids like The Mirror.

I have to keep an eye on The Mail as it keeps you in touch with the mainstream demographic. I'd say none of Britain's national newspapers should be read in isolation and to do so is to give in to a confirmation bias addiction.

I have to keep an eye on The Mail as it keeps you in touch with the mainstream demographic. [i'd say none of Britain's national newspapers should be read in isolation and to do so is to give in to a confirmation bias addiction.

I agree it shouldn't be read in isolation. In fact I think it shouldn't be read at all.

Apart from by smug anonymous pseudointellectuals like us of course.

Orwellian doublethink of the highest order. You couldn't make it up!! :lol::lol::lol:

Thats a very basic form of hypocrisy.

Ever been to the lake district? The Yorkshire dales?

Happy to take your money, unhappy you are there at all.

Although the Brits hardly have a monopoly on this, its as true in Spain, Eastern Europe etc.

The Daily Mail will still be going long after the Guardian has ceased to exist.

Perhaps when Nu Labour implodes it will return to being a right wing newspaper

Then it's circulation will probably go up even more.

Middle-aged women, stereotypically the wife of someone important (who reads The Times, although thats a comic these days). Has the status, actually lacks the education and the experience themselves. You can see this from the tendency to think about work from the perspective of someone who basically clocks on and off, yet assumes their readership have large amounts of money to spend. It was started as a newspaper for women and hasn't really moved away from that.

Edited by Cogs

The Mail is massively popular. All print media have got serious business model issues but the Mail's much stronger than other tabloids like The Mirror.

I have to keep an eye on The Mail as it keeps you in touch with the mainstream demographic. I'd say none of Britain's national newspapers should be read in isolation and to do so is to give in to a confirmation bias addiction.

I agree I buy and read three on rotational basis...the others I pick up and skim at work......the DM like to exaggerate a point. ;)

Guest theboltonfury
for my sins,I read the daily mail.it's the only right wing paper left.i read if ambrose/jeff randall in the telegraph and ignore the rest of the paper on the whole.the FT is also worth a read.

in my circle of acquaintance,30's generation,the mail is indeed popular with the women.

as for the generation under mine,not sure what they read,except to say the daily mail will be the only one left when they retire.

guardian is effectively broke,indie too.

I read The Mail. If anyone's got a problem with that then take it up with the Kossovans who come over here, take our benefits and then give our swans cancer!

It's got a very good sports section in all seriousness.

I used to read Viz but didn't think it was real!

The DM is like my RIP grumpy, old and racist Grandad. Talked a load of sh1t and believed what he spouted.

As Jimothy?!?! pointed out foreigners are not snapping up properties outside of the North / South Circular. Sterling is also up 10% on where it was a few months ago...

Maybe you should re-think your post and aim it at Evening Standard readers.... And maybe actually read the FT instead of using it to hide your copy of Nuts or magazine or Metro when you are on the Waterloo to City line in the morning! ;)

I have to keep an eye on The Mail as it keeps you in touch with the mainstream demographic.

Not getting at you personally SNACR - I just particularly hate the Daily Mail...

The Daily Mail's vitriol on any given day is depressingly predictable - there's no need to actually read its stance on any given contemporary issue. Just imagine yourself as the archetype mentioned earlier and you'll have a good approximation of the headline for that day.

So why do the target archetype like it so much? Because, and here's the paradox, it's actually very reassuring. There may be lots of problems in the world. The modern world is a horrible place...

but...

...it's...

... not your fault.

It's young people. Or it's immigrants. Or it's non-pasty people (not the same thing as immigrants). Or it's poor people (the sods). Or it's the people who sold them the knives (how irresponsable is that?). Or the single parent family. Or people who were briefly arrested and then promptly released several years ago (because all suspects are guilty, aren't they?). Or people who wear hoodies or hats (unless they're aged over 56 and a half).

Not you dear reader. You're just fine. The impending economic, power and environmental time bombs cannot possibly be your fault in any way whatsoever. You're beautiful. You're perfect.

Now where are my heart pills?

I read The Mail. If anyone's got a problem with that then take it up with the Kossovans who come over here, take our benefits and then give our swans cancer!

It's got a very good sports section in all seriousness.

Good try, but I'm not biting. :)

Middle-aged women, stereotypically the wife of someone important (who reads The Times, although thats a comic these days). Has the status, actually lacks the education and the experience themselves. You can see this from the tendency to think about work from the perspective of someone who basically clocks on and off, yet assumes their readership have large amounts of money to spend. It was started as a newspaper for women and hasn't really moved away from that.

If a Daily Mail reader had said that you would have accused them of sexism.

Talk about hypocrisy.

:blink:

Guest theboltonfury
Not getting at you personally SNACR - I just particularly hate the Daily Mail...

The Daily Mail's vitriol on any given day is depressingly predictable - there's no need to actually read its stance on any given contemporary issue. Just imagine yourself as the archetype mentioned earlier and you'll have a good approximation of the headline for that day.

So why do the target archetype like it so much? Because, and here's the paradox, it's actually very reassuring. There may be lots of problems in the world. The modern world is a horrible place...

but...

...it's...

... not your fault.

It's young people. Or it's immigrants. Or it's non-pasty people (not the same thing as immigrants). Or it's poor people (the sods). Or it's the people who sold them the knives (how irresponsable is that?). Or the single parent family. Or people who were briefly arrested and then promptly released several years ago (because all suspects are guilty, aren't they?). Or people who wear hoodies or hats (unless they're aged over 56 and a half).

Not you dear reader. You're just fine. The impending economic, power and environmental time bombs cannot possibly be your fault in any way whatsoever. You're beautiful. You're perfect.

Please don't say that to get away from all this you study the Guardian everyday?

:lol:

but...

...it's...

... not your fault.

The Daily Mail lost its way in the 2000's, but it will shortly be returning to the one true faith.

As for the Guardian and its readers - the good times are nearly over.

Make the most of it guys.

:P

The objective is just to rant full stop.

If you read the stories over time, you notice that one time they take one position, then a few weeks down the line they take the exact opposite.

DM even had a story about "why analog radio is better than digital radio" a few months ago...

Fits in with the schizophrenic public. They want it both hot and cold, light and dark, high house prices and affordability.

Let the idiots have their benefits with low taxes, NHS with no private jobs.

Only through the painful lesson that Germany, Argentina, Zimbabwe peoples are being offered or have learnt, will any good come of it.

Please don't say that to get away from all this you study the Guardian everyday?

:lol:

I'm happy to confirm that I don't study the Guardian every day.

I might have bought a copy once, twenty years ago for a GCSE project, but not since. :)

Guest theboltonfury
Fits in with the schizophrenic public. They want it both hot and cold, light and dark, high house prices and affordability.

Let the idiots have their benefits with low taxes, NHS with no private jobs.

Only through the painful lesson that Germany, Argentina, Zimbabwe peoples are being offered or have learnt, will any good come of it.

The Mail gets a hard time here. Tell me one paper that is unbiased, full of quality, well researched journalism? Until that comes along The Mail will continue to be relevant, or if not relevant, not sticking out like a sore thumb.

The Express is 10000000000000000% worse. House price headline yesterday and a Maddie splash today.