House Price Crash Forum
AvidFan

Japan. As Posted By Mr. Mop

After two decades of economic doldrums the Japanese economy is ready to hit the wall. And, the impact will likely be felt around the world. John Maudlin, president of Millennium Wave Investments, and George Friedman, CEO of STRATFOR of global-intelligence firm Stratfor, tell Tech Ticker, "be afraid, be very afraid."

The two, however, disagree on what will spark the crisis. Mauldin believes the economy will collapse under the weight of debt. Friedman says rising unemployment will fan the flames.

Why should we care?

Either scenario has the potential to unleash a crisis we can't imagine.

Friedman asserts: "The Japan we know now and how it behaves in the world is not going to be the Japan we know in 10 years… and it’s going to be scary."

Good thing I have metal underpants.

Guest Skinty
:lol::lol: That would stop a hefty kick to the b0ll0cx.

Alternatively the metal could act like a pastry cutter ..

Japan imports most of its food - the US exports food.

Japan has no oil or raw materials - the US has.

Japan has very little land, far more than can support it's current population

The continental United States could easily support double its current population just using 17th century farming methods.

Japan must export or starve - the US could pull up the drawbridge and survive happily.

Japan is f*cked and so are we

The US on the other hand will recover and given that everyone else is in an even worse position, will in relative terms be even stronger than now.

You cannot defy economic fundamentals.

IMO.

The continental United States could easily support double its current population just using 17th century farming methods.

Japan must export or starve - the US could pull up the drawbridge and survive happily.

The US on the other hand will recover and given that everyone else is in an even worse position, will in relative terms be even stronger than now.

IMO.

yanks come up trumps every time. feck to be back in the days where we owned the joint and the £ was the world reserve currency

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Sounds like Sumerian Debt Jubilee time.

I take this OP as a bullish sign for Japan. Perhaps the moment we have waited for. BTW have you noticed the recent increases in Japanese cultural references in the UK?

Sapporo beer is back on the shelves, Japanese Emo, Manga , J Pop seem to be all the rage plus I can get NHK on Sky and that's before all the new Japanese restaurants and company buy outs. I've personally spent or invested £45k in Japan in the last 3 years and that's before I count my Nikon and any other electronic goods

IMO.

So RB is right to hold dollars?

I take this OP as a bullish sign for Japan. Perhaps the moment we have waited for. BTW have you noticed the recent increases in Japanese cultural references in the UK?

Sapporo beer is back on the shelves, Japanese Emo, Manga , J Pop seem to be all the rage plus I can get NHK on Sky and that's before all the new Japanese restaurants and company buy outs. I've personally spent or invested £45k in Japan in the last 3 years and that's before I count my Nikon and any other electronic goods

Even when you factor in Japanese subprime that's still to explode?

yanks come up trumps every time. feck to be back in the days where we owned the joint and the £ was the world reserve currency

Well they might run out of steam in 2 or 3 hundred years time.

They could easily have a population of 1 Billion by then if they chose to go that way.

People who predict the demise of the US are totally deluded

But Japan, the UK and the EU are all in big trouble IMO.

Alarmist - you could just as well have had three Japanese economists sitting in Tokyo saying exactly the same thing about the US economy and the end of the US hegemony.

I think that is what you a suppose to take away from the video. ;)

Well they might run out of steam in 2 or 3 hundred years time.

They could easily have a population of 1 Billion by then if they chose to go that way.

People who predict the demise of the US are totally deluded

But Japan, the UK and the EU are all in big trouble IMO.

I think the bond auctions could well catch you out on that line of thinking. Check out the 3 and 5 year last week. China isn't playing ball and I expect them to tighten the screw even further.

Edited by MOP

So RB is right to hold dollars?

I can't believe that anyone really seriously thinks the Dollar will fail in our lifetimes?

Personally I am interested in long term historical trends wheras currency markets seem to be driven by very short term events.

Looking at things from a historical perspective, I would say that the Euro is doomed but don't ask me how long it will be before this happens, could be 5-10 years.

The wheels of political and social change grind very slowly.

I can't believe that anyone really seriously thinks the Dollar will fail in our lifetimes?

Personally I am interested in long term historical trends wheras currency markets seem to be driven by very short term events.

Looking at things from a historical perspective, I would say that the Euro is doomed but don't ask me how long it will be before this happens, could be 5-10 years.

The wheels of political and social change grind very slowly.

Forget all that. Watch the coming auctions in the US. ;)

I think the bond auctions could well catch you out on that line of thinking. Check out the 3 and 5 year last week. China isn't playing ball and I expect them to tighten the screw even further.

If we are going to see a return to a World economy based on economic fundamentals then the US is going to emerge from this depression stronger than ever.

But I am talking about 10-20 years from now, because that's how long the effects of this depression will last IMO.

Forget all that. Watch the coming auctions in the US. ;)

Whatever happens, if the US is F*cked then the rest of the World is F*cked times two, so relatively speaking they are always going to come out the other end sooner and stronger.

I know many, many people don't like this, but that is the reality of the World economy for now and the foreseeable future IMO.

:rolleyes:

You have to love western media's preoccupation with Japan's economy.

I'm yet to read and accurate report based on reality, without relying heavily on preconceptions, and borrowed plagiarist untruths

Make no mistake, a downturn in Japan's economy simply means Mr Salaryman can not afford a new Gucci handbag for his Mrs. It's simply untrue to state that they rely on exports for bulk of gdp, I have never witnessed such wealth in one country, and remember, most Japanese use cash, credito cardo is still not no1, and in my view never will be

I invested in Japan because its very stable in comparison to our corrupt, criminal economies of the west.

You have to love western media's preoccupation with Japan's economy.

I'm yet to read and accurate report based on reality, without relying heavily on preconceptions, and borrowed plagiarist untruths

Make no mistake, a downturn in Japan's economy simply means Mr Salaryman can not afford a new Gucci handbag for his Mrs. It's simply untrue to state that they rely on exports for bulk of gdp, I have never witnessed such wealth in one country, and remember, most Japanese use cash, credito cardo is still not no1, and in my view never will be

I invested in Japan because its very stable in comparison to our corrupt, criminal economies of the west.

How much of their food do they import?

How much of their energy and raw materials do they import?

Long term, it just doesn't look good for either them or us IMO.