House Price Crash Forum

Has B&q Decided To Pay Everyone Quarterly?

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

HOLA441
HOLA442

I wonder how PCWorld/Dixons/Currys are doing? A while ago I think they had some kind of credit down grade.

My local PC World is like a tumbleweed zone in terms of customers, though one salesman told me that you wouldn't think we were in recession the way some customers spend, but those customers are getting fewer.

HOLA443
But hot female assistants in nice clingy T-shirts would attract more male customers.

Any thoughts on moving to LED lighting? Not yet cost effective?

Fit women staff aren't really any good unless they're competent too.

LED will happen eventually. Another destruction of jobs but, probably much better for the environment. We have the fluorescent strip lights changed wholesale every 18 months. Because of the labour it's not worth changing piecemeal, so even if there's only half a dozen bulbs out the whole lot get ditched and replaced with new - lots of nice mercury in the bulbs too. Bulb changing is like a Fourth Bridge job for electrcians and will all but disappear with LED.

It used to be someones job to change all those little marker light bulbs around the lorry trailers, these have all gone LED and that's another job gone.

Bizzare!

All to protect against the theft of the occassional T-shirt that some blind kid in India made and these crooks bought for 38 pence.

Fvck it! You guys live in real sh1thole when all is considered.

More likely to try and get genuine feedback about what Joe Public thinks about a new range than prevent shoplifting - they don't tend to announce they're about to pimch some jeans.

Since 'down the pub' has been replaced with ebay, shrinkage from theft is a significant cost - rarely significant enough though to warrant paying a full time store detective to prevent it.

HOLA444
I wonder how PCWorld/Dixons/Currys are doing? A while ago I think they had some kind of credit down grade.

My local PC World is like a tumbleweed zone in terms of customers, though one salesman told me that you wouldn't think we were in recession the way some customers spend, but those customers are getting fewer.

They've got quite a bit of breathing space with credit facilities which, I think don't need renewing until 2010. However, wouldn't rule out them being sucked under in the Autumn apocalypse, my money would be on Kesa going first.

HOLA445
Guest Parry aka GOD

LED will happen eventually. Another destruction of jobs but, probably much better for the environment. We have the fluorescent strip lights changed wholesale every 18 months. Because of the labour it's not worth changing piecemeal, so even if there's only half a dozen bulbs out the whole lot get ditched and replaced with new - lots of nice mercury in the bulbs too. Bulb changing is like a Fourth Bridge job for electrcians and will all but disappear with LED.

It used to be someones job to change all those little marker light bulbs around the lorry trailers, these have all gone LED and that's another job gone.

More likely to try and get genuine feedback about what Joe Public thinks about a new range than prevent shoplifting - they don't tend to announce they're about to pimch some jeans.

Since 'down the pub' has been replaced with ebay, shrinkage from theft is a significant cost - rarely significant enough though to warrant paying a full time store detective to prevent it.

Oh dear, what a plastic country.

HOLA446

I much prefer to burn the blubber from harpooned whales. It's very romantic.

HOLA447
HOLA448
I had all our aircon systems modified so they're controlled by head office and the staff can't turn the heat/aircon on after the colder/warmer weather starts. Wear a vest is what I say. ;) We just make sure it complies with the factory, offices, shops and railway premises act and that's all. It's plucky action like mine that'll save energy and slow down climate change.

You remind me of why I'm glad I escaped the Dilbertian office. One-size-fits-all management, leaving everyone to suffer. Do you have windows that won't open? Do you have identikit desks and chairs for office-based staff, and leave - say - anyone with back pain no choice but to quit?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
You remind me of why I'm glad I escaped the Dilbertian office. One-size-fits-all management, leaving everyone to suffer. Do you have windows that won't open? Do you have identikit desks and chairs for office-based staff, and leave - say - anyone with back pain no choice but to quit?

I have no problem with staff working in a comfortable environment. However, my number one priority is that customers have a comfortable environment and a great instore experience.

First it starts with cushions on chairs for bad backs, then there's cuddly toy mascots on the desks and before long they're bringing in board games from home on the last day before Christmas. All best nipped in the bud, in my view, before you find yourself spending summer afternoons reading them a story outside under a tree. ;)

HOLA4411
Guest anorthosite
First it starts with cushions on chairs for bad backs, then there's cuddly toy mascots on the desks and before long they're bringing in board games from home on the last day before Christmas.

You are Catbert and I claim my free employee dental plan.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
All best nipped in the bud, in my view, before you find yourself spending summer afternoons reading them a story outside under a tree. ;)

Meanie.

HOLA4414
I have no problem with staff working in a comfortable environment. However, my number one priority is that customers have a comfortable environment and a great instore experience.

First it starts with cushions on chairs for bad backs, then there's cuddly toy mascots on the desks and before long they're bringing in board games from home on the last day before Christmas. All best nipped in the bud, in my view, before you find yourself spending summer afternoons reading them a story outside under a tree. ;)

That sounds well better than working, Are you sure you don't want to reconsider?

HOLA4415
Nothing wrong with H&S...as long as they keep paying shitty wages and putting ******wits on fork lift trucks I will have a job...think i might be ok for some time

Just bury metal tracks in the warehouse floor and automate your forklift operations. Goodbye sh1tty wages goodbye slightly less sh1tty H&S lower middle management wages.

Simples ;)

HOLA4416

I dunno, I bought some (admittedly, cheapest i could get) led bulbs as halogen replacements. 20 little leds in one bulb instead of one 50w bulb. Weak as hell, but most annoyingly after a while one or two of the leds would fail, or worse, much much worse, start to flicker constantly. Glad I'm not photo-epileptic. I ripped them out and found some 'normal' energy-saving halogen replacements.

HOLA4417
I dunno, I bought some (admittedly, cheapest i could get) led bulbs as halogen replacements. 20 little leds in one bulb instead of one 50w bulb. Weak as hell, but most annoyingly after a while one or two of the leds would fail, or worse, much much worse, start to flicker constantly. Glad I'm not photo-epileptic. I ripped them out and found some 'normal' energy-saving halogen replacements.

Work well on lorry trailer marker lights and wind-up torches, don't think I've used them in any other application. Would guess decent ones cost a lot. The old incandescent marker light bulbs cost just a few pence whereas the LED replacements are £5-10 - with the saving being in the labour of replacing rather than initial product outlay.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest BoomBoomCrash
Not since energy prices have gone up so much.

We have hidden cameras and microphones on all tills. I can't bear to listen, I cringe at some of the customer service. Also have to strongly resist phoning them up and saying we do bl00dy well sell that you numpty. :lol:

Edit to add: The cameras are there so I can really watch the 'fools stealing my money'.

That's not the least of it though is it, you monitor the staff toilets too. It's a very creepy demonstration that you view the staff as little more than property.