House Price Crash Forum
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Has B&q Decided To Pay Everyone Quarterly?

I've just heard of this happening to someone.

Is it a widespread thing?

Guest Parry aka GOD

Do what? :huh:

Pay them with what? My local B&Q is completely dead! Well, deader than usual. Aisle after aisle of nobody.

Are you sure they weren't some sort of subcontractor?

Pay them with what? My local B&Q is completely dead! Well, deader than usual. Aisle after aisle of nobody.

Well, according to the mystical way in which they compile management accounts sales there are on the increase. Seen very little evidence of any serious spending in any of the DIY sheds myself.

Focus, like a very large amount of UK corporates, is only being kept alive by revolving credit facilities. Music will have to stop at some point, be a shame that all the independent hardware shops will have gone to the wall before then.

Must cost a fortune to heat the stores in winter too.

Why heat them? most people that will go shopping in the winter will be wearing a coat anyway ;)

Edited by Fortunate Son

Must cost a fortune to heat the stores in winter too.

I had all our aircon systems modified so they're controlled by head office and the staff can't turn the heat/aircon on after the colder/warmer weather starts. Wear a vest is what I say. ;) We just make sure it complies with the factory, offices, shops and railway premises act and that's all. It's plucky action like mine that'll save energy and slow down climate change.

I had all our aircon systems modified so they're controlled by head office and the staff can't turn the heat/aircon on after the colder/warmer weather starts. Wear a vest is what I say. ;) We just make sure it complies with the factory, offices, shops and railway premises act and that's all. It's plucky action like mine that'll save energy and slow down climate change.

Do you ever toast the staff at the Acrington branch or deliberately freeze those in Yeovil, just for the thrill of watching your minions squirm as you track the CCTV cameras lazily from tills to toilet?

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I've just heard of this happening to someone. Is it a widespread thing?

Good idea.

That means they can go an extra two months before not paying the staff.

hmm, all those ladies in vests, jumping up and down to keep warm.

gives the video cam observers something to look forward to.

Probably H&S

Factories Act 1961 - 16 degrees

H&S try and apply it to everything even though it really applies to stationary/sedentary type work. Obviously, market stalls, goods in bays etc. are impossible but some H&S jobsworth will quickly forget his climate change indoctrination and insist on installing multiple ineffectual heaters at great expense.

Do you ever toast the staff at the Acrington branch or deliberately freeze those in Yeovil, just for the thrill of watching your minions squirm as you track the CCTV cameras lazily from tills to toilet?

Not since energy prices have gone up so much.

We have hidden cameras and microphones on all tills. I can't bear to listen, I cringe at some of the customer service. Also have to strongly resist phoning them up and saying we do bl00dy well sell that you numpty. :lol:

Edit to add: The cameras are there so I can really watch the 'fools stealing my money'.

Edited by Soon Not a Chain Retailer

Factories Act 1961 - 16 degrees

H&S try and apply it to everything even though it really applies to stationary/sedentary type work. Obviously, market stalls, goods in bays etc. are impossible but some H&S jobsworth will quickly forget his climate change indoctrination and insist on installing multiple ineffectual heaters at great expense.

I find the interpretation of Environmental and H&S regulations very challenging. Always seem to get loads of conflicting advice. A legal expert told me that If I phoned a certain government agency enough times, I'd end up with the answer I was looking for. :lol::lol::lol: .

Well, according to the mystical way in which they compile management accounts sales there are on the increase. Seen very little evidence of any serious spending in any of the DIY sheds myself.

Focus, like a very large amount of UK corporates, is only being kept alive by revolving credit facilities. Music will have to stop at some point, be a shame that all the independent hardware shops will have gone to the wall before then.

Already happening...

'Corporate at Focus':

http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/page/corporate

Focus DIY confirms that it is in negotiations with its advisors to address the Group's

short term financial situation.

A press release outlining the Group's current position is available here.

Further information is available here:

5th August 2009 - Nominee Letter

5th August 2009 - CEO Letter

5th August 2009 - CVA Proposal

'Focus DIY "The Group" or "the Company" Statement re press comment':

http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/page/pr0809

Focus DIY, one of the leading DIY and garden retailers, notes the recent press speculation regarding the possibility of the Group entering into negotiations with creditors and exploring the possibility of a Company Voluntary Arrangement ("CVA") and confirms that it is in negotiations with its advisers to address the Group's short term financial situation.

The Company confirms that initial conversations with its major creditors indicate a broad level of support for the proposal and Focus DIY's business. Focus DIY is trading well. However the Group can no longer continue to support a cash drain of approximately £12m a year from the 38 non-trading properties, many of which it closed in September 2008. The drain from these stores threatens the immediate future of the core business and, as such, the Group presently considers a CVA to be the best course of action.

A CVA at the current time would enable Focus DIY to safeguard all 4,572 jobs across all its current 180 stores and support centres, which are performing strongly in the current market. In addition the Group can confirm that there will be no financial impact on its trade and non trade suppliers who will continue to be paid in accordance with normal payment terms.

The Group is profitable and continues to trade inline with expectations and will issue an update in due course.

Edited by CrashConnoisseur

Why heat them? most people that will go shopping in the winter will be wearing a coat anyway ;)

That's another reason why heating control panels had to be wrested from staff. They come to work in short sleeves then heat the shop to make themselves comfortable. Customers, in outdoor coats, then swelter and don't spend so long in the store.

Big heating expense is the air curtains over the doors. Can't have the doors closed as it's a straight 30% off trade, a lot independent retailers don't ever seem to clock this.

An awful lot of money spent on aircon is just undoing the heating effect of all the lights.

That's another reason why heating control panels had to be wrested from staff. They come to work in short sleeves then heat the shop to make themselves comfortable. Customers, in outdoor coats, then swelter and don't spend so long in the store.

Big heating expense is the air curtains over the doors. Can't have the doors closed as it's a straight 30% off trade, a lot independent retailers don't ever seem to clock this.

An awful lot of money spent on aircon is just undoing the heating effect of all the lights.

Provide customers with wind-up torches at the entrance. They knew what they were getting in to.

p-o-p

Guest Parry aka GOD
Not since energy prices have gone up so much.

We have hidden cameras and microphones on all tills. I can't bear to listen, I cringe at some of the customer service. Also have to strongly resist phoning them up and saying we do bl00dy well sell that you numpty. :lol:

Edit to add: The cameras are there so I can really watch the 'fools stealing my money'.

. . . . blaaa . . . wot . . . . eh . . . .

Seriously?

I recall someone telling me that big clothing shops hide mics in their clothing racks.

Just think of the conversations the snooping freaks listen in to!

But hot female assistants in nice clingy T-shirts would attract more male customers.

Any thoughts on moving to LED lighting? Not yet cost effective?

Guest Parry aka GOD
I recall someone telling me that big clothing shops hide mics in their clothing racks.

Bizzare!

All to protect against the theft of the occassional T-shirt that some blind kid in India made and these crooks bought for 38 pence.

Fvck it! You guys live in real sh1thole when all is considered.

. . . . blaaa . . . wot . . . . eh . . . .

Seriously?

Yep, fraid so.

The mind numbing banality of it could cause you to lose the will to live. It also dispels any notion that the current government's dream of a completely egalitarian society is a complete fantasy.