House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
assetrichcashpoor

Estate Agents In Oxford Getting Twitchy?

For the first time ever an Oxford estate agent has rung me to ask whether I'm still interested in buying.

This is the first time they've ever done so in 3+ years of having my contact details.

You are their primary concern and they don't want you to miss the boat!

For the first time ever an Oxford estate agent has rung me to ask whether I'm still interested in buying.

This is the first time they've ever done so in 3+ years of having my contact details.

They are concerned that your rent is dead money.

For the first time ever an Oxford estate agent has rung me to ask whether I'm still interested in buying. This is the first time they've ever done so in 3+ years of having my contact details.

I must admit, I haven't noticed any signs of agent being anything but smug in Oxford since about Feb.

clearly they have re-employed their wasters for the "boom", and now they need something for him to do...

Feb- Jul is wealthy student parent buying season in towns like Oxford. This year the ones who bought 3 years ago ( who won't have made any money on their investment) will have been holding off selling hoping for a recovery, so stopping further falls. The new student parents are still buying cos they don't have a feel for the indebtedness of the ordinary people in the country so assume property will go up aagain and, of course, they hate to think of little Tristram and Sienna having to live in a rented (shudder) place.

At some point next year or 2011 these mini pyramids will start to give, unfortunately it won't happen overnight. A very small % of the population are supporting them but on low volumes that is all it takes.

As for now - buying is over for this year and agents are twiddling their thumbs and hunting for buyers again 'cos rest of market is still dead.

Edited by bajista

clearly they have re-employed their wasters for the "boom", and now they need something for him to do...

I think there could be something in that...

I think there could be something in that...

actually, its just me being cynical and offering a possible explanation.

could also be the EA..encouraged by his good fortune, has employed a telesales bod to drum up even more business.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

This is clearly a sign of the recovereh.

Obviously still haven't got that we are no longer living in 2007 in Dorset.

Not even a nice location - ghastly property - it would be overpriced at £100000 - love the blurb.....Move With Us Or Perhaps Not!

The property enjoys a no through road location amongst houses of a similar age and style close to good day to day shopping facilities and amenities along Ashley Road with it’s main bus route services.

"Amongst similar age and style" does that mean this is your chance to live in a road full of horrible houses!!!

I posted earlier on the "Wales" thread...

I had one phone up today to tell me a house we'd been playing a long game on had been taken off the market (after a year) because the only interest had been from us and the seller wouldn't drop to what we were willing to pay. The EA agreed that the house wasn't worth the asking price :blink: and said that they (the EA) had told the vendor to get realistic or sling their hook (I paraphrase). The hook was duly slung.

The relevant part is that the EA went on to say that interest in houses in general here had "waned significantly" in the last couple of weeks, and she agreed that the likely reason was the beginning of a drying up of monied buyers.

interesting when i last looked things were going crazy.. my best indicator is when we see cancelled sales and they call you up about them again

Obviously still haven't got that we are no longer living in 2007 in Dorset.

Not even a nice location - ghastly property - it would be overpriced at £100000 - love the blurb.....Move With Us Or Perhaps Not!

£240K is an absolute joke. I came down Ashley Road earlier tonight, and it gets more low rent by the month. As a local I watch the Dorset EA's - again and again - put these places on at idiotically high prices. They simply don't sell - ever. I watched an unlovely end terrace go on 18 months ago at a laughable 245K. It sold a couple of moths back at an LR verified £170K . And that was too much.

Another 2 local bed detached had to drop 31% from asking to finally sell. I'm sure these vendors were forced to sell by personal penury. But it gives an idea where real value actually is.

One day the EA's will wake up to the fact that these risible pricing tactics are only costing them time and money. No sane buyer will pay prices that would have been excessive even in 2007.

Well, what they have actually done is bought a list from Rightmove and they're calling it through. I reckon that the same agency called me on Thursday. I've never had contact with them but they said that my number had been passed to them by Rightmove. Strange thing is I'm not registed on RM anymore specifically because of the way RM collects data on your searches and passes it on to agents.

As for the market, little is going under offer or completing but there's quite a lot of property coming on. Most of it is rubbish though. I doubt that the Crime programme last week will help Oxford particularly even though it was pointed out that Oxford is an average city in terms of crime.