House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lascaille

Churchill Gardens Sw1 Pimlico

Hi,

Does anyone have any experiences or information about Churchill Gardens, Pimlico? I've always liked the area and I think this estate is definitely one of the better ones, a high percentage of private owners, but does anyone have any other information or personal experiences, or any advice about the Pimlico region? I don't plan to buy now, I think prices there still have a way to fall, especially if we see public sector cutbacks. I reckon there's a whole load of civil servants living there who might find themselves jobless.

Does anyone also know any similar areas i.e. nice central 'villages' but without the stupid prices of the 'fashionable' areas like Chelsea, Islington, etc?

Thanks,

LS

Does anyone also know any similar areas i.e. nice central 'villages' but without the stupid prices of the 'fashionable' areas like Chelsea, Islington, etc?

Kennington/Oval?

On the Oval side or Walworth Road side of Kennington you can get a lot for your money and the nice bars and restaurants at Kennington Cross and Cleaver Square are a few mins walk away.

I'm talking my book obviously because I live there, but I love it for the convenience... xx

Kennington/Oval?

On the Oval side or Walworth Road side of Kennington you can get a lot for your money and the nice bars and restaurants at Kennington Cross and Cleaver Square are a few mins walk away.

I'm talking my book obviously because I live there, but I love it for the convenience... xx

Yeah it's a nice area, prieces seem alright, but it's not really 'in the thick of it,' is it? I guess I didn't mention, it's gotta be close in, really really close in.

What's that estate behind tottenham court road by the post office tower? That sorta concept... I'm talking 'walk to work' territory. Anyone have any info on that one?

LS

Hi,

Does anyone have any experiences or information about Churchill Gardens, Pimlico? I've always liked the area and I think this estate is definitely one of the better ones, a high percentage of private owners, but does anyone have any other information or personal experiences, or any advice about the Pimlico region? I don't plan to buy now, I think prices there still have a way to fall, especially if we see public sector cutbacks. I reckon there's a whole load of civil servants living there who might find themselves jobless.

Thanks,

LS

I used to live nearby in the estate in Aylesford St. I liked living in Pimilco, alot, it has a nice buzz to it.

Yeah it's a nice area, prieces seem alright, but it's not really 'in the thick of it,' is it? I guess I didn't mention, it's gotta be close in, really really close in.

What's that estate behind tottenham court road by the post office tower? That sorta concept... I'm talking 'walk to work' territory. Anyone have any info on that one?

LS

There are many estates, some council, some private and some Housing associations. Generally, people who are lucky enough to live there (in social housing) really appreciate it and do not piss off their neighbours becuase they don't want to lose their home. I've lived in various HA buildings, Pimilico, Covent Garden etc and never had problems with the other residents. Problems always came from outsiders (like the time three suspected IRA men tried to break into a neighbours flat).

LS

There's a lot of stuff in SE1 that's not crazy expensive if you look in the right areas. Otherwise what about over Barnsbury way. Where do you work?

There's a lot of stuff in SE1 that's not crazy expensive if you look in the right areas. Otherwise what about over Barnsbury way. Where do you work?

I contract so it moves around, but it's generally city, moorgate, bloomsbury... Not checked Barnsbury, I'll have a look now.

I contract so it moves around, but it's generally city, moorgate, bloomsbury... Not checked Barnsbury, I'll have a look now.

I've never heard of Barnsbury before?

Is it a google-invented location, like their renaming of Battersea as Clapham?

edit: It exists.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnsbury

Edited by Peter Hun

A word of warning on council freehold block, which Churchill Gardens is - I tried to buy a flat there when I first moved to London, and this is what stopped me.

Whenever Westminster Council do repairs/maintenance, they use in house contractors who either:-

1. cost 4X the cost of a normal builder; or

2. they divide the cost by the number of OO flats in the block and only bill them.

These are the only possible explanations for the vast charges the council levies on OOs in their blocks, other than the fact that Churchill Gardens are late 50's/early 60's blocks and coming to the end of their useful life so expect repair bills have skyrocketed.

A word of warning on council freehold block, which Churchill Gardens is - I tried to buy a flat there when I first moved to London, and this is what stopped me.

Whenever Westminster Council do repairs/maintenance, they use in house contractors who either:-

2. they divide the cost by the number of OO flats in the block and only bill them.

These are the only possible explanations for the vast charges the council levies on OOs in their blocks, other than the fact that Churchill Gardens are late 50's/early 60's blocks and coming to the end of their useful life so expect repair bills have skyrocketed.

That's common with most councils I think.

A friend of mine had to pay something like £15,000 when the Period Houses owned by Lambeth on the street he lived on came up for repairs/maintenance. He obviously had a flat in one of the Houses which he bought, Lambeth were the freeholders.

Edited by cowley

Hi,

Thanks,

LS

Parts of Vauxhall are very nice, obviously it's just south of Plimico...but south of the river.

Some of the roads I'd recommend are Bonnington Square, Fentiman Road, Albert Square or Aldebert Terrace. Not sure whether it's central enough for you but you get plenty for your money in comparison to other central locations, I use to live there...it's very handy for getting around...though maybe hasn't quite got the nightlife you desire?

That's common with most councils I think.

A friend of mine had to pay something like £15,000 when the Period Houses owned by Lambeth on the street he lived on came up for repairs/maintenance. He obviously had a flat in one of the Houses which he bought, Lambeth were the freeholders.

Its not just councils. My mate had to pay £4k when the outside of his mansion block in Maida Vale was decorated. It was sandback and gloss on 7 windows basically. Any normal decorator would have done it for a grand. He was absolutely certain the maintenance co paid a kickback to the freeholder but couldn't prove anything. He tried to sort out enfranchisement but due to domestic problems had to sell up before he could get very far.

Its not just councils. My mate had to pay £4k when the outside of his mansion block in Maida Vale was decorated. It was sandback and gloss on 7 windows basically. Any normal decorator would have done it for a grand. He was absolutely certain the maintenance co paid a kickback to the freeholder but couldn't prove anything. He tried to sort out enfranchisement but due to domestic problems had to sell up before he could get very far.

How do you know the maintenance co wasnt owned by the freeholder? ;)

How do you know the maintenance co wasnt owned by the freeholder? ;)

Tee heee. The freeholder of most of Maida Vale, including this particular block, is the Church of England..............

SE1, there are ex council flats available just off Bermondsey St, Snowsfields etc. 10 mins from London Bridge, 5 mins from More London and 7 mins from the Shard (not built yet). Oh and 15 mins from the City. Prices still reasonable if you look in the right places i.e not The Jam Factory and other overpriced developments.

edited to remove duplication.

Edited by monty1080

Tee heee. The freeholder of most of Maida Vale, including this particular block, is the Church of England..............

So the CoE taking kickbacks from a contractor?

Shrugs.... :lol:

So the CoE taking kickbacks from a contractor?

Shrugs.... :lol:

Nothing would surprise me where any organised religion is concerned, absolutely nothing..........

Yeah I've heard a lot about this trick. I heard though that this was more applicable to the 'system built' blocks, most of which are coming down now, as they had basic design flaws. Do you know specifically that this has happened within Churchill Gardens?

Pimlico is still my favourite area (thanks to whomever pointed out Barnsbury though, that looks nice), I've found the Barbican also and the Golden Lane Est. I don't really like the ex-LA blocks, but I know that a lot of the period townhouse to flat conversions are done shoddily in the centre of town because everyone knows they'll rent/sell pretty much regardless of condition. Lower-ground corner apts seem to be also cheap for the size, and they often come with under-road storage vaults.