House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

getdoon_weebobby

Looking To Buy A Car

dont mind if new or 6/12/18/24 months old

im 26 girlfriend 25. shes an old golf. plan to sell and buy a car to share.

cos i dont plan to buy a house for a good while plan to treat myself to something nice. not realy into cars so havent a clue what to buy???

looking to buy something for 20-40k.

cos i dont plan to buy a house for a good while plan to treat myself to something nice. not realy into cars so havent a clue what to buy???

Do you want a sports car? Will two seat be enough? If so, I would go for a Cayman. I jsut sold my 2005 Boxster with all the trimmings for £18k (baby on way) so you can get something pretty awesome for £20k-£40k. But if your not that bothered about cars, why bother spending that much?

I picked up the family car yesterday, Audit A6 3.0 Tdi quattro on a 54 plate, nice spec and loads of room for £11k. A lot of car for the money IMO.

Do you want a sports car? Will two seat be enough? If so, I would go for a Cayman. I jsut sold my 2005 Boxster with all the trimmings for £18k (baby on way) so you can get something pretty awesome for £20k-£40k. But if your not that bothered about cars, why bother spending that much?

I picked up the family car yesterday, Audit A6 3.0 Tdi quattro on a 54 plate, nice spec and loads of room for £11k. A lot of car for the money IMO.

i was thinking about this quite a lot. not sure the bird will go for it. seeing as its my cash she might be keeping her golf lol

X Reg mondeo.. most trim still present, ignore the odd bit of knocking from the front suspension. Fuel saving 'broken aircon' feature, together with ground-in biscuit/sand/raisin/misc. on the back seat. Proabaly had a careful owner at some point. Current owner sometimes drives into things.

Just 15k and I'll throw in the foot mats.. they're stuck down with ribena anyway. Treat yourself..

(Couldn't imagine spending £20k on a car..but I would probably either get a Focus ST because I'm basically a chav at heart, or the older style Suburu Impreza.. none of this boring German stuff.)

Guest Parry aka GOD

Hold on. You're 26 years old and you intend to buy a car for between £20,000 and £40,000 (that's twenty thousand pounds and forty thousand pounds)?

The last car I bought in the UK was 40k. Thats 40,000 Baht equivalent, £800. It lasted nearly 6 years of trouble free motoring, thrashed up and down motorways, really abused.

Seriously, have a long hard think about this.

Guest X-QUORK
Seriously, have a long hard think about this.

Wise advice God, wise advice.

Guest Parry aka GOD
You could buy a motor-home for 20-40K and live in it.

It'd pay for itself!

Now that dear Skinty is a good idea. At 26 with that sort of cash, I should have done exactly that looking back.

Would have been a far more comfortable existence.

You're not into cars but your willing to spend up to £40,000? :blink:

Spend less than £5,000 on a 8-10 year old BMW 3 series coupe; make sure it's done less than 100,000 miles and has full history and you'll have a car thats better than 90%+ of all other cars on the road and it'll keep going for another 10 years if you want to keep it that long.

If you're going down that route, you're probably better off getting a Maxda MX-5. Sure, the Porsche will beat it on speed but then, how often will you be driving at more than 120MPH?, but the Mazda has similar (some say better) handling. On top of that, they're staggeringly reliable, don't guzzle fuel the way a Porsche does and are much easier and cheaper to repair when they do break.

If you're going down that route, you're probably better off getting a Maxda MX-5. Sure, the Porsche will beat it on speed but then, how often will you be driving at more than 120MPH?, but the Mazda has similar (some say better) handling. On top of that, they're staggeringly reliable, don't guzzle fuel the way a Porsche does and are much easier and cheaper to repair when they do break.

They are nice cars (bit girly for me says the man that had a Boxster haha), but dont make that nice sound you get out of a Porsche. If you dont do that many miles then the fuel costs dont hurt too much.

Guest Parry aka GOD

Speaking of motor vehicles, I had a new inner tube installed in the rear type of my moped thing yesterday morning.

This having been out that night to a bar about 20km away, got puncture had to spend the night in a hotel and wait for tyre bloke to open shop. Hotel alone, before you ask!

Got chased up the main highway by a pack of wild/stray/rabid dogs, me accelerating as fast as possible with tyre flapping, sparks flying and dogs snapping at my heels.

Then when I got home the next day, all the neighbours were talking about the fact I'd been out all night and must have a girlfriend.

Even had the third degree from sister.

Bloody hell!!!!

Speaking of motor vehicles, I had a new inner tube installed in the rear type of my moped thing yesterday morning.

This having been out that night to a bar about 20km away, got puncture had to spend the night in a hotel and wait for tyre bloke to open shop. Hotel alone, before you ask!

Got chased up the main highway by a pack of wild/stray/rabid dogs, me accelerating as fast as possible with tyre flapping, sparks flying and dogs snapping at my heels.

Then when I got home the next day, all the neighbours were talking about the fact I'd been out all night and must have a girlfriend.

Bloody hell!!!!

Should have brought home some of those lovely puppies to keep 'em busy, would have kept the heat off you!

Guest Parry aka GOD
Should have brought home some of those lovely puppies to keep 'em busy, would have kept the heat off you!

Stroke of midnight here. Dogs appear. Hunt in packs.

Get's quite scary.

Bloody hell!!!!

:lol:

Sorry, shouldn't laugh.

When I was a kid I was once chased on my racer down a muddy, rutted farm road by a gang of peacocks.

What made it particularly nightmarish was the slow pace of this chase, them crowing wildly, me wobbling ineptly through the gaps between potholes...the horror!

Wise advice God, wise advice.

If you were a single fella then a nice car is good to impress the girlies, even then <10k is entirely possible. But if you're spoken for, why don't you agree to go for something sensible and cheap and adequate, can still be nice tho, a nicely specced 2nd hand civic/accord/mondeo/focus/golf/whatever and maybe spend on a nice holiday in addition, whilst having £30,000 spare?

OTOH you may be so loaded it doesn't matter.....

Guest Parry aka GOD
:lol:

Sorry, shouldn't laugh.

When I was a kid I was once chased on my racer down a muddy, rutted farm road by a gang of peacocks.

What made it particularly nightmarish was the slow pace of this chase, them crowing wildly, me wobbling ineptly through the gaps between potholes...the horror!

It's quite amazing the degree of vehicle control you develop under such circumstances. I was like Dougie Lampkin!