House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Text Message Time Stamps

Okay, so I have a friend in Australia and we text each other. However, if you go into the message details and look at the sent times of her messages it sometimes shows Oz time and sometimes local UK time.

Also, other half has been away visiting family in Sweden the past 10 days. All her texts show sent times in UK local times, not the hour ahead it should do.

Anyone know why this is? I would have assumed that the message would carry the time stamp applied by whatever network sent it, not the one which received it, and, why would it seemingly randomly vary between the two on occasion?

Guest X-QUORK
The reason is the phone doesnt know where its physically located sometimes.

It's not the phone which knows where it is, but electronic registers in the network further up the chain which keep a track of which base station/s the handset is connected to. Location registers record the whereabouts of the phone at all times. It is impossible to make a phone call without being on one of these registers.

Having discussed the SMS timestamp issue with my colleagues, we're of the opinion that the network of the SMS sender will determin the timing.

It's not the phone which knows where it is, but electronic registers in the network further up the chain which keep a track of which base station/s the handset is connected to. Location registers record the whereabouts of the phone at all times. It is impossible to make a phone call without being on one of these registers.

Having discussed the SMS timestamp issue with my colleagues, we're of the opinion that the network of the SMS sender will determin the timing.

I assumed that that would be the case but it doesn't explain why texts sent to me show the send time as UK time when I know the message originated in Australia.

Actually, I was discussing it with a mate this afternoon and he reckons the message can pick up a time stamp from pretty much anywhere along it's journey. Never really got to the bottom of why but there you go.