House Price Crash Forum
markinspain

Us Firm Closes Down Factory After French Workers Beat Up Boss

“Egg-throwing has never caused serious injuries.â€

Then you're not doing it right.

You have to love the French, stick it to the "cheeze doodle eating surrender monkeys". I hope they beat up the lawyer sent to deal with the lawsuit, brilliant comedy.

I had no idea foreign companies still had factories in France - after all, it is so hard to make anyone redundant there, even before they start getting violent, that most companies will not even consider investment there.

I had no idea foreign companies still had factories in France - after all, it is so hard to make anyone redundant there, even before they start getting violent, that most companies will not even consider investment there.

(my emphasis)

IBM is one of the biggest foreign employers here in Montpellier and the largest support centre in Europe. All the IT companies have large business interests in the city.

http://www-05.ibm.com/fr/events/centers/mo...r/index_en.html

Inward investment in France has never been lacking even before Sarko took over. Most large companies have major investments in this major EU economy.

Lower manufacturing unit wage costs are seeing more money go to Eastern Europe in recent times - a sad reality for all high wage economies.

Your statement is totally false, perhaps it is in fact an opinion?

(my emphasis)

IBM is one of the biggest foreign employers here in Montpellier and the largest support centre in Europe. All the IT companies have large business interests in the city.

Inward investment in France has never been lacking even before Sarko took over. Most large companies have major investments in this major EU economy.

Lower manufacturing unit wage costs are seeing more money go to Eastern Europe in recent times - a sad reality for all high wage economies.

Don't worry, there are plenty of rich people who love investing in companies that make losses, and lots of management staff is out there looking for jobs who just LOVE getting beaten up by their workers. In fact, the odd violent strike brings entertainment and excitement to what is otherwise a dull uneventful existence, no doubt companies all over the world will appreciate the superior French way and urgently open up shop there. ;)

The thing is with all of this lay-offs and redundancy sh1t is people will just snap! The french seem to be the first to do such a thing! The same will happen here as this current wave of job loses affects everyone. This very different to the previous recessions or govt-led attacks on certain industries i.e. coal mining. The coal miners did go on the rampage but they didn't really have the support of the country and thus were done over by the state.

On this occassion, everyone is being affected so I can see in the near future hot shot execs having the sh1t kicked out of them, debt collectors, baliffs and of course the police.

It'll take longer to happen in this country but when it does they won't be enough man power to supress it...and guess what? It'll happen under the Tories!

The thing is with all of this lay-offs and redundancy sh1t is people will just snap! The french seem to be the first to do such a thing! The same will happen here as this current wave of job loses affects everyone. This very different to the previous recessions or govt-led attacks on certain industries i.e. coal mining. The coal miners did go on the rampage but they didn't really have the support of the country and thus were done over by the state.

On this occassion, everyone is being affected so I can see in the near future hot shot execs having the sh1t kicked out of them, debt collectors, baliffs and of course the police.

It'll take longer to happen in this country but when it does they won't be enough man power to supress it...and guess what? It'll happen under the Tories!

the private sector isn't a million miles away from recovery AFAIK in the UK, whereas the pain in the public sector is still to come. Maybe they'll riot, maybe they'll roll over (my money on the latter right now)

IBM have had a major presence in France for more than 20 years. I know someone who has worked there for 20 years +. They are not going to talk the place down.

As for the "considerations" of big business re France, how often are they made public?

Does anyone have any numbers for the amount of business that is re-locating out of France (delocalisation" as the French call it) compared to the amount re-locating to France.

What we can tell from the French media is that the French are might peeved about this "delocaisation", as many of the firms moving having been major beneficiaries of subsidy and they are mighty concerned about it too.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari...-8&oe=UTF-8

So despite fancy window dressing like,

http://www.invest-in-france.org/north-america/en/

Which you can find for any country from Chile to Kazakhstan, this assault on management will likely have a -ve effect on foreign investment in France for maybe 10 years, until it's all forgotten.

This will probably be greeted with some satisfaction by the "egoiste" (selfish) powers that be that run the place - less foreign competition.

I think the fundamental with France is that for quite a long time the French could get by quite well without working too hard.

I think this is the product of the resources of the country, the legacy of history and some astute political maneuvering.

I fear those days are over and although a certain number of French people will admit this in private and Sarkozy implicitly recognised it in his election campaign, with his comment that he was "on the side of the people who get up early", it seems the French as a people are not willing to deal with it, yet.

Duffing up the boss seems to me a typically French piece of pedantry that distracts from the fundamental.

And yes, this is my opinion.

(my emphasis)

Quite. Our French subsidiaries are our most profitable, probably because they are the best invested (capex per ee in France is the second highest in the world after the US IIRC) and have the best works canteen I have ever in my life visited; it puts 90% of UK restaurants to shame and how my French colleagues do any work at all in the afternoon after a 3 course lunch a glass or 2 of decent red is beyond me, but they do.

Quite. Our French subsidiaries are our most profitable, probably because they are the best invested (capex per ee in France is the second highest in the world after the US IIRC) and have the best works canteen I have ever in my life visited; it puts 90% of UK restaurants to shame and how my French colleagues do any work at all in the afternoon after a 3 course lunch a glass or 2 of decent red is beyond me, but they do.

Depends entirely on what the business produces.

Ahem, even baby Belgium has 3,000 subsidiaries in France. 2,900 German businesses, 1,600 Italian businessestc., etc., etc.

Edited by gruffydd