House Price Crash Forum
copydude

High Streets To Get Make-believe Shops

Council Commissions Artists To Window Dress Empty Shops

46138060-artshop-226-bbc.jpg

A model of a cup cake made out of used newspapers may not seem like the most obvious way to fight the recession, but for Margate and Thanet Council it's a start. :)

One of the town's shopping arcades has been transformed with local artists commissioned to come up with paintings and sculptures for the windows of vacant premises.

"We've had a very positive reaction from the public," says Heather Sawney, who developed the displays for Thanet District Council.

"Having the art in the windows is no substitute for having new tenants for the shops, but at least it's a start."

About 12,000 independent shops and nearly 7,000 branches of major chains have closed so far this year in England and Wales, according to research.

The Local Data Company (LDC) says the average retail vacancy rate has risen from 4% a year ago to almost 12% now. Margate in Kent is the worst hit town, with a rate of 25%. Cities in the north of England like Leeds and Liverpool also have rates of more than 20%.

LDC said empty shops had "a corrosive effect upon the confidence of an area". The collapse of Woolworths has had a major impact on high streets, LDC said, with about 70% of its 800-plus shops still lying empty.

File Under 'Green Shoots, Recovery, Soon Not A Chain Art Dealer'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8177502.stm

That sums it up.... :(

Don't drop the rent, just paper over the cracks at more expense!

I have to ask myself, do i really want to live here? <_<

Margate.......oh dear oh dear.

The delightful town featured on TV last night

Interviewer asked a portacabin chippy/burger? shop owner how the recession had affected her business

"50% down" she said

"But more people are holidaying in the UK"

"Well they aren't coming to Margate".

happy clappy make believe money

happy clappy make believe property valuations

final step before final approach to third world status ... lets pretend nothing's gone wrong

Attention Crew - We are now going to Puke Factor 10

Guest BoomBoomCrash

These people are ******ing crackers. Why not offer the space under a profit share scheme for fledgling businesses? Or even offer it totally free for 6-12 months to encourage new businesses.

These people are ******ing crackers. Why not offer the space under a profit share scheme for fledgling businesses? Or even offer it totally free for 6-12 months to encourage new businesses.

What's the local paper in margate? Can we all write to them suggesting this?

Guest UK Debt Slave
Problem is you can't spray over the real ugly part of dead and dying town centres...

chav2.jpg

Homegrown chav scum.

Ahhhh! Don't they look lovely! ;)

Problem is you can't spray over the real ugly part of dead and dying town centres...

chav2.jpg

Homegrown chav scum.

The sportswear retailers must be doing well in Margate.

Because that would reduce the real estate market to looking like a wasteful, destructive pantomime

what an unbelievably stupid waste of resources and capital.

central planning at its finest.

If nobody will pay us what we want for it, nobody can use it, and make use of it...empty property should not be allowed to stand idle awaiting a higher bider that may never come, a penalty/tax should be paid for idle, empty, and unproductive properties. ;)

what an unbelievably stupid waste of resources and capital.

central planning at its finest.

It's not worse than the real estate 'market's' evaluation of its highest use, which was apparently standing idle

Edited by Stars

Send this to the letters page of your local paper:

Some council's are decorating empty shop windows in order to hide the sheer number of empty shops. Does this instruction come from Gordon Brown himself? It seems madness to hide the recession when start up businesses could be given the use of the shop at a massively reduced level of rent and rates to prevent them being empty.

2007 is seen by Gordon as something to aspire to in terms of consumerism and house prices, but in reality housing developments were forced to have 10% of homes sold at "affordable" levels - indicating to the observant that 90% therefore are unaffordable.

Hiding empty shops and quantative easing are both designed to support the Labour Government whilst the economy crumbles around us.

Don't forget to sign it!

:)

When the state collapses and we're left with thousands of empty council offices and public buildings it's important they're not just left empty to depress everyone.

I plan to fill them with some of my own modern art. I will display serried ranks of faceless robotic automatons. They will (excluding extensive holiday/sickness/maintenance periods) pointlessly shuffle paper all day long with brief intermissions to this inane monotony for them to check the future value of their pension pots.

This magnificent display of high brow art and culture I've concocted will lift from the gloom and bring great joy to approximately twenty percent of the population by reminding them of happeir and more glorious times.

If nobody will pay us what we want for it, nobody can use it, and make use of it...empty property should not be allowed to stand idle awaiting a higher bider that may never come, a penalty/tax should be paid for idle, empty, and unproductive properties. ;)

There is full business rates payable on empty property. However, in many cases I suspect the council has yet to track the landlord down to their off-shore hidey hole. Even if they manage this the chances are they're insolvent and can't pay. If this is the case the property will eventually go back to the banks and they'll be liable for the rates. No-one's probably got as far along yet as thinking about who owns the banks. :unsure:

Is the next phase to have cardboard cut out shoppers?

Also they can have cardboard cars in the parking spaces.

I'd get talking to some of the WWII veterans who did this.

InflatableTank.jpg

What, give a giant kneeling headless man a handjob?? :unsure:

Edited by Soon Not a Chain Retailer

I'm seeing this sort of blallacks in Chester via the 'Chester Renaissance' :blink: it's like the bit towards the end of the movie 'Brazil', where the truck is going past the 'happy days' painted hoardings hiding desolation behind them.

Having recently viewed some very small offices in a shared building owned by Chester council. I asked if the price was negotiable, as the place looked 30% empty. They got back to me a week later saying they would give me one month rent free

appalling :rolleyes:

http://www.chesterrenaissance.co.uk/

front_colour.jpg

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship