House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eric pebble

" - The Boe Thinks The Uk Economy Is Still In A Very Poor State"

I watched the BBC 6 O'clock news - did you?

Basically -- it confirmed what I've always thought ---- The UK economy is in an extremely perilous state...

hence - the BOE has had to pump in £50 BILLION MORE of "Quantitative Easing"....

I bet the VI's were making the telephone lines to the BBC News Team RED HOT with anger!! :P

As most of us know here on HPC --- There is a LONG, LONG way to go in this recession/depression..

Has anyone noticed how quiet the streets and shops are? I get the impression many people are cooped up in their homes, eating baked beans - and watching crap tv.....

What do you think?

Edited by eric pebble

and just YESTERDAY...TOP city people were in a majority in saying the QE would stop.

QE solves nothing, but as it is well known, it IS difficult to halt as there is ALWAYS a reason to carry it on.

Guest AuntJess

Basically -- it confirmed what I've always thought ---- The UK economy is in an extremely perilous state...

hence - the BOE has had to pump in £50 BILLION MORE of "Quantitative Easing"....

I bet the VI's were making the telephone lines to the BBC News Team RED HOT with anger!! :P

As most of us know here on HPC --- There is a LONG, LONG way to go in this recession/depression..

Has anyone noticed how quiet the streets and shops are? I get the impression many people are cooped up in their homes, eating baked beans - and watching crap tv.....

What do you think?

I think we are in it, right up to our elbows. It is taking some a bit longer to realise it, tho'. A few more headlines like that and the penny may finally drop......

What do you think?

Yes, there are many that are feeling the pinch, many that are cutting back, many that are finding it difficult obtaining credit (not a bad thing in my book), many that are finding that their income does not meet their outgoings.

But, there are many that are feeling rich, free and satisfied....and the gap is getting greater. ;)

Guest Parry aka GOD

I still deal with people in the UK, suppliers, laboratories etc. Everyone uses the same word when describing business . . . 'dire'.

QE might be propping up the bu!!sh1t but on the ground things are getting worse from what I understand.

What do you think?

The closest shopping centres to me are Aldershot ,Woking , Camberley, Farnborough, Guildford . While Saturdays seem as busy as ever they have been noticably much quieter on Sunday shopping over the last few months,

What do you think?

The closest shopping centres to me are Aldershot ,Woking , Camberley, Farnborough, Guildford . While Saturdays seem as busy as ever they have been noticably much quieter on Sunday shopping over the last few months,

The streets of Leeds are still caked every morning in splattered blood, chun, broken bottles and empty cans. No cutting back here. :(

I still deal with people in the UK, suppliers, laboratories etc. Everyone uses the same word when describing business . . . 'dire'.

QE might be propping up the bu!!sh1t but on the ground things are getting worse from what I understand.

QE isn't propping up the capitalist economy OR the housing market.

It's propping up Gordon Browns government, going to pay an army of civil servants and benefits scroungers.

BoE prints new money, uses money to buy old low paying long dated government debt from investors.

Investors use the money to buy new, higher paying shorter dated debt from Gordon Brown.

Think they missed a trick. Holding interest rates is not a good recovery sign. It means we are still fekked.

They should have hiked to 1% and proclaimed recovereh!

QE isn't propping up the capitalist economy OR the housing market.

It's propping up Gordon Browns government, going to pay an army of civil servants and benefits scroungers.

BoE prints new money, uses money to buy old low paying long dated government debt from investors.

Investors use the money to buy new, higher paying shorter dated debt from Gordon Brown.

not so, the gilts are issued normally and sold to bankers at interest.

bankers then sell them to BoE who add them to their balance cheat.

however, no loan is made and the qe is just credited to the bank.

The streets of Leeds are still caked every morning in splattered blood, chun, broken bottles and empty cans. No cutting back here. :(

For some life goes on, deflation gives people more money in their pocket :blink: ....what you have never had you will never miss, when you have had it, borrowed it, budgeted for it and get used to a certain lifestyle that revolves around it, when you lose it you sure soon know about it. ;)

What do you think?

I travel a lot between the SE and SW of the UK in particular.... A lot fewer people spending money imo... Certainly, the SW in particular -- I reckon money has DRIED UP down there --- shops are often DESERTED! Streets are SILENT!!

Anyone else from the SW here? Tell me yr thoughts...

Well they haven't cut the fekkin' social have they? Loads of spending on booze and fags near me, the only thing is they do it at home more, and less at the pub. Doors and windows open and $hite music blaring out day and night. Dire!

What do you think?

agreed.

if theer are people shopping, not many are holding carriers & if they are, they normally have Primark on them. This is for Wakefield Riviera (twinned with Afghanistan, but sometimes mistaken for Rome....apparently due to its cafe culture :lol::lol: )

It's summer - there are other things to do. Come October when its cold and wet there is nothing else to do during the day but go shopping in a nice warm shopping centre.

I travel a lot between the SE and SW of the UK in particular.... A lot fewer people spending money imo... Certainly, the SW in particular -- I reckon money has DRIED UP down there --- shops are often DESERTED! Streets are SILENT!!

Visited Shepton Mallett not so long ago, the high street was sad and quiet...end of an era. :( Things are changing faster than we can keep up with it.

thousands of property bears at home hanging from the rafters......Sibley moment there...Sorry.

The streets are quiet where you lot are because they all seem to be on holiday down here in the SW. I live in Lyme Regis - it is absolutely chocca; you cannot move in the town. I work further down the coast, and I see the streams of traffic heading down the A30 every Thurs / Friday night. No signs of recession on the street where I live.

The streets are quiet where you lot are because they all seem to be on holiday down here in the SW. I live in Lyme Regis - it is absolutely chocca; you cannot move in the town. I work further down the coast, and I see the streams of traffic heading down the A30 every Thurs / Friday night. No signs of recession on the street where I live.

! :P What - even in the pissing rain? :lol:

thousands of property bears at home hanging from the rafters......Sibley moment there...Sorry.

even less competition when the bottom arrives

Guest Parry aka GOD
Visited Shepton Mallett not so long ago, the high street was sad and quiet...end of an era. :( Things are changing faster than we can keep up with it.

If Elvis can write a song about Memphis, Tennessee . . . I can write one about Shepton Mallett! - Some bloke from The Worzels.

Shepton Mallett high street was hardly a poster boy for the consumer age.

If Elvis can write a song about Memphis, Tennessee . . . I can write one about Shepton Mallett! - Some bloke from The Worzels.

Shepton Mallett high street was hardly a poster boy for the consumer age.

:lol: Well what little it did have has well and truly disappeared. ;)

It's summer - there are other things to do. Come October when its cold and wet there is nothing else to do during the day but go shopping in a nice warm shopping centre.

By october many people might be very glad to spend all day (and night) in a warm shopping centre ;)

Guest Parry aka GOD
:lol: Well what little it did have has well and truly disappeared. ;)

I do miss the south west of England. Grew up there. But I don't recognise it as home any more. It is sad, winkie, we've lost so much.

I do miss the south west of England. Grew up there. But I don't recognise it as home any more. It is sad, winkie, we've lost so much.

It is not all bad, there are still little pockets of peace, tranquility and community. ;)