House Price Crash Forum

I must say it sounds a great idea you HPC twerps!

Sell a 8 property portfolio and cash in say £1.6million or so. Or don't sell and keep £2million in equity rather than cash and have a 60k - 70k income on top!

Not hard really is it? And prices in Wandsworth have dropped 3.7% have they. Right is that every single property? Is it possible that TTRTR has a decent portfolio which is less susceptible to capital losses? Indeed a portfolio of desirable properties that hold their value and have a good rental yield.

I do not predict a crash but even if TTRTR loses 1 million of his 2 million equity he still has a good income and guess what!?!?!?!? Still a million pounds more than you losers that don’t have the guts to invest!

Thanks for that.

What the bears need to realise is that I've been hearing of this great plan to sell up & live off the capital for years now. The most substantial discussion of this plan was in 2000 with an advisor who recommended I get hold of the cash by selling (about 500k then) & stick into HIS stock market fund where I'd make loads more money. Naturally all that stuff about prices rising as well as falling was shown at the bottom.

If I'd have listened to him, an ungeared 500k would have reduced in value to about 250k. If I'd have had the nerve to stick with it, it might now be 350k. That's ignoring CGT & his nice predictable fee of .5% of my capital.

And I should point out that a geared 500k would have been completely wiped out!

So bears, it's interesting to listen to your plan, but I prefer my own plan which has much more than doubled my stake rather than reducing it.

The thing is though, what makes you think that your plan has merit even today?

And 1 more question, why do these advisors prefer to advise people like me to put my money where they'll receive a steady income (rather similar to property investment when you think about it)? Why (if they're such good advisors) don't they just speculate their own capital & make millions from that?

Me thinks you know the answer, but wouldn't like to say.

:D

Edited by Time to raise the rents.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say it sounds a great idea you HPC twerps!

Sell a 8 property portfolio and cash in say £1.6million or so. Or don't sell and keep £2million in equity rather than cash and have a 60k - 70k income on top!

Getting 1.6 million in the bank would yield around 80K a year in interest and for no work either!!! I know which I'd rather do

Here he goes again. Ozz, he just called you a ****. You'll never have any money you sad w@nker. :-)

Dont stand for it. Tell him what you think of him!

BTW, wandsworth is collapsing now - by next month even TTRTR's sad little out of date chart will reveal it plainly so even a swedeboning mong can understand it.

Whats funny is that even the graph he posted should ring alarm bells in the brain of any normal person. Up up up it goes nice and smooth, then WOBBLE WOOBLE WOBBLE! Where's it going next?

Only a fool would think there's any steam left in this particular bubble.

And down we go.

That's why you'll never have 80k in interest to live off, because you never took the risks required to get the capital in your hands in the first place.

Never say never!

I'm taking my risks now! Just a different risk to you, it may pay off it may not. If I don't try then I'll never know!

Here he goes again. Ozz, he just called you a ****. You'll never have any money you sad w@nker. :-)

Dont stand for it. Tell him what you think of him!

BTW, wandsworth is collapsing now - by next month even TTRTR's sad little out of date chart will reveal it plainly so even a swedeboning mong can understand it.

Whats funny is that even the graph he posted should ring alarm bells in the brain of any normal person. Up up up it goes nice and smooth, then WOBBLE WOOBLE WOBBLE! Where's it going next?

Only a fool would think there's any steam left in this particular bubble.

And down we go.

What I like most about this whole thread is that nobody has asked for your source for your stat anyway. Absolutely typical when dealing with bearish statements on this forum, they're often not questioned.

Here is a place where you can form a prediction of where my local HP's are headed:

http://johnh.webdadi.biz/public/website.dl...eas=2&area0=395

Just note how many are sold or under offer. At the rate they're going, they'll be sold out soon.

Never say never!

I'm taking my risks now! Just a different risk to you, it may pay off it may not. If I don't try then I'll never know!

And BTW I wasn't calling you anything, simply stating that the 'park it in the bank' strategy is wrong when going for growth.

You must have heard the statement with words to the effect that to make in this world you have to bet the farm?

My plan has always been to stick with freehold shared houses & to definitely not listen to doom mongers. So far that's worked very well.

Click here, take a look, then let me know why you think I would have been better off selling when HPC posters were saying we were at a peak?

And that link was supplied courtesy of another poster, but the fact is that I can easily see (by checking the market) in my area that prices for the type of proerty that I own, freehold terraced houses in SW11, have continued to grow, despite the softness of areas that I've stayed well away from, like 2 bed new builds.

the graphs looks good, but it all depends on what year you bought them.

pre-1999/2000 then your laughing. after that. id be a little worried. (but not much).

You want to know the source of the stat? Search for 3.7 and wandsworth.

It was a thread started when you were 'on holiday'.

link because swedeboners are probably too stupid to use the search function

You've had plenty of help from people on this forum trying for reasons that escape me to help you understand that the bull run has ended, and it will be 10 or 12 years before your 'portfolio' is worth what it was last Autumn.

Interestingly, the comment about suckers is correct. House I was looking at in Sussex (100k overpriced) sold after a year. 30k off. That's only a 15% fall since she put it on, and means she prob made a 10k loss after costs, fixing up etc (nethp shows the prev sale at 249k).

The interesting thing is, my g.f. phoned to 'put an offer' on it (at 100k less - not expecting to be accepted at this stage, obviously). Got chatting to the woman (who we had both actually liked, when we met her), and she let slip she'd 'offloaded it' to 'another landlord' who 'thought it was good value, thank God'.

Her words not mine. 'Offloaded'. 'Thank God'. You could STILL probably dump your rapidly crumbling property empire on a bunch of newbie idiots who just did the 'Inside Track' course, a la dogbrain.

Pump and dump, swedeboner. Sounds right up your street.

Edited by CrashIsUnderWay
But regardless of when I bought, the question was 'why would I have been better off selling up'?

If the question refers to the decision in 2000/2001, you made the right decision.

If the question relates to 2004/5, you made the wrong decision, in my view.

What is the right decision differs at different times.

For the avoidance of doubt, can you confirm that your position is that it would never in any circumstances make sense for you to sell your houses? Or is oit just that the circumstances haven't in your opinion materialised to date?

Edited by Yonmon
He's already answered the 'simple bull quiz' by saying 'A' indicating clearly that he doesn't live in the same world as the rest of us.

He'll go bust.

Lets leave him to it.

Depends when he bought I guess. If he bought in 10 years ago then he is UNlikely to go bust, if he bought stuff recently he is likely to make a loss in the short to medium term. If he offloaded he could make a significant profit, invest it and wait for prices to slump before buying back similiar properties for less (and more of them too).

Edited by OzzMosiz
Depends when he bought I guess. If he bought in 10 years ago then he is likely to go bust, if he bought stuff recently he is UNlikely to make a loss in the short to medium term. If he offloaded he could make a significant profit, invest it and wait for prices to slump before buying back similiar properties for less (and more of them too).

Can't quite work out your logic there. :blink:

You want to know the source of the stat? Search for 3.7 and wandsworth.

It was a thread started when you were 'on holiday'.

link because swedeboners are probably too stupid to use the search function

You've had plenty of help from people on this forum trying for reasons that escape me to help you understand that the bull run has ended, and it will be 10 or 12 years before your 'portfolio' is worth what it was last Autumn.

Interestingly, the comment about suckers is correct. House I was looking at in Sussex (100k overpriced) sold after a year. 30k off. That's only a 15% fall since she put it on, and means she prob made a 10k loss after costs, fixing up etc (nethp shows the prev sale at 249k).

The interesting thing is, my g.f. phoned to 'put an offer' on it (at 100k less - not expecting to be accepted at this stage, obviously). Got chatting to the woman (who we had both actually liked, when we met  her), and she let slip she'd 'offloaded it' to 'another landlord' who 'thought it was good value, thank God'.

Her words not mine. 'Offloaded'. 'Thank God'. You could STILL probably dump your rapidly crumbling property empire on a bunch of newbie idiots who just did the 'Inside Track' course, a la dogbrain.

Pump and dump, swedeboner. Sounds right up your street.

So is this your little thingy:

Wandsworth £326,747 £339,385 -3.7%

Wow! Month to month decisions on whether to sell property based on Rightmove statistics.

What I suggest to you is that you park your funds in shares & make moment to moment decisions on whether to buy, hold or sell & comeback in a few months and let us know how it's going.

At the same time, please let us also hear from your broker who I'm sure will be very happy accepting your churning trades whilst your NW falls like a stone & he/she finally is able to afford that nice car in the showroom.

Did you get all that?

seem to recall YOU were quite keen on rightmove when it was going YOUR way, swedeboner.

And the Land Reg. figs will follow suit in another month. As anyone with even half a brain could see by looking at your crappy little chart.

You continually demonstrate your stupidity in ways like this. Now you clutch at 3 month old stats because EVERYTHING else shows Wandsworth down the pan already.

Don't you realise that next month, when the land regs follow suit and show Wandsworth down a massive percentage, you will look like an even bigger d!ck than you do now???

Now fug off back to your stupid swedish log hut and bone some more herring. Ingrid will be home soon, and you KNOW how p!ssed she gets if you haven't done your chores. And don't forget to change the nappy on your inbred teenage son, it's starting to smell like a moose's nethers in there.

Edited by CrashIsUnderWay

Don't worry about it Ozz.

If TTRTR really WAS doing well, do you really think he'd be popping up on THIS little board every 10 minutes, desperately trying to convince himself 'everything is fine' (cos heaven knows, he aint convincing anyone else...).

TTRTR is up the sh1tty creek without even a paddle handle, and like most amateurs, his only response to the market turning is to try and increase his position - jeez. Averaging down. Great idea. Buy MORE of a losing investment.

Always works

(not).

Don't worry about it Ozz.

If TTRTR really WAS doing well, do you really think he'd be popping up on THIS little board every 10 minutes, desperately trying to convince himself 'everything is fine' (cos heaven knows, he aint convincing anyone else...).

TTRTR is up the sh1tty creek without even a paddle handle, and like most amateurs, his only response to the market turning is to try and increase his position - jeez. Averaging down. Great idea. Buy MORE of a losing investment.

Always works

(not).

Also, if he was really was doing so well, do you think he would, by his own admission, spend months away from his family supervising a loft conversion...

The loft conversion was, as i recall, 1) an opportunity to brag about his great business skills, and 2) a desperate attempt to prop up the overall flagging yield of his overgeared BTL 'portfolio'.

A sensible person at a time like this, of course, would reduce his exposure, not increease it.

Won't make any difference. He will be pulling a rather pathetic yield from an GIGANTIC debt for the next 10 years or so, with no opportunity to either dispose of it, or expand it all the while subsidizing tenants, dealing with voids, leaky rooves etc.

What a blissful business to be in. Bet u all wish YOU'D jumped onto the BTL bandwagon, dontcha???!!!

Also, if he was really was doing so well, do you think he would, by his own admission, spend months away from his family supervising a loft conversion...
The loft conversion was, as i recall, 1) an opportunity to brag about his great business skills, and 2) a desperate attempt to prop up the overall flagging yield of his overgeared BTL 'portfolio'.

A sensible person at a time like this, of course, would reduce his exposure, not increease it.

Won't make any difference. He will be pulling a rather pathetic yield from an GIGANTIC debt for the next 10 years or so, with no opportunity to either dispose of it, or expand it all the while subsidizing tenants, dealing with voids, leaky rooves etc.

What a blissful business to be in. Bet u all wish YOU'D jumped onto the BTL bandwagon, dontcha???!!!

Gee I almost missed the party you two started here.

FYI I spent 2 months away at 3 week intervals (yes I actually went home) and for the slow ones amoungst you, I didn't spend 2 months away to supervise 2 loft conversions, I spent 2 months away to secure an extra £1000 a month IN MY POCKET for the remaining period of time that I own the two houses concerned.

How much would that be I hear you ask..............multiply £1000 by 12 months, then multiply that by 20 years & lets hope I get lots of opportunities to raise the rents over those 20 years. :D

That's why I spent 2 months away & you'd better believe that it's definitely worth it.

TTRTR Please, you must realise you will never get through these guys. They fail to understand basic concepts:

1. Not all BTL are about to go bust. They think all BTL's have 100% borrowing and no positive cash flow. As they do not understand BTL they can not grasp that many landlords have 60%-50% or even 100% equity and do not care less if prices drop short term.

2. They fail to realise that if prices dropped by 50% tomorrow, it makes no difference to most BTL. By having a decent income on each property the actual equity is irrelevant. 70K per annum income will afford you to relax if prices drop and simply wait for them to recover. Price drops only matter if a landlord has to sell. And why sell with an income?

3. If the market does go wrong, then rental demand will increase. No one will be buying so tenants will stay put, FTB's will keep renting, the DEMAND for rental property will outstrip supply (in London) so rents will shoot up. Indeed giving all BTL a far better income! Especially as interest rates look set to drop.

4. They fail to understand gearing. I put 50k into most of my BTL properties and they return 8K per annum a 16% yield. Massive by any standards. Furthermore if the property cost £250,000 and goes up to £300,000 I have doubled my 50K! Beats the stock market pants down.

The thing about BTL, if you do it properly, is that you are covered in both strong and weak sales markets. Good sales market your equity increases, bad and your rental income increases. It is belt and braces all day long.

Finally the monkeys go on and on about what goes up must come down, high prices now must mean prices will crash. Well even if they do what happens after a crash? They boom again and higher than ever before! And with an income you can wait.

Short minded, jealous, bigots who just wish they could afford one property never mind a portfolio.

In fact come to think of it I have 2 sets of tenants who have been waiting for prices to drop before buying for 18 months now. They just pay the rent every month waiting. They emailed me the other day asking if prices were about to drop and I sent them a link to HPC. They have now decided to wait until, "The very bottom of the crash." Christ suits me if you guys are right (which you are not for London) they will be there for 2-3 years. 2-3 years of steady rent for me no hassle no moving, £500 pm profit for 24 months that's 12K in the pocket and I need do nothing! Even in a falling market I win. Then after this so called crash I rent it for more due to demand and pocket even more rent! And with lower interest rates God even more profit!

Oh it is tough in BTL.

In fact come to think of it I have 2 sets of tenants who have been waiting for prices to drop before buying for 18 months now. They just pay the rent every month waiting. They emailed me the other day asking if prices were about to drop and I sent them a link to HPC. They have now decided to wait until, "The very bottom of the crash." Christ suits me if you guys are right (which you are not for London) they will be there for 2-3 years. 2-3 years of steady rent for me no hassle no moving, £500 pm profit  for 24 months that's 12K in the pocket and I need do nothing! Even in a falling market I win. Then after this so called crash I rent it for more due to demand and pocket even more rent! And with lower interest rates God even more profit!

Oh it is tough in BTL.

:lol::lol:

Reminds me of 2 of my own tenants (renting the only flat I have) who said a year ago they were moving out at the end of the lease to buy themselves.

Come Sept when the lease was up, they were very keen to sign up for another year.

Suits me fine & they have no idea that they're supporting the market either way. It's like hotels, bums in beds is what drives the market. The only way that can affect it negatively is to get on a plane & leave the country.