House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
brougham

Student Buy To Let Landlords

Hello all,

I have been reading this website for about two years and havent realy contributed before.

I was wondering what peoples opinions where of Buy to Let investors that solely deal with student lets? Obviously these are essential as students need somewhere to live but do they have the same bad smell opinion about them?

If said landlord has bought a typical house, butchered it by putting naff partition walls up to create as many rooms as possible, and rented it out to umpteen students that all have cars, with f**k all consideration for the families living next door, then that landlord is piece of felch.

Otherwise, no.

I'm reminded of a an anecdote from a mate, he was an art student in Bristol in the late 80s.

The landlord of the 1st & 2nd floor flats that my mate rented, also owned the cafe on the ground floor.

After moving in, my mate went to use the loo in the morning. He opened the door, and was shocked to find a builder sitting there on the loo!

The landlord neglected to mention that the flat shared the toilet with the cafe via a double door system !

:blink::rolleyes:

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Hello all,

I have been reading this website for about two years and havent realy contributed before.

I was wondering what peoples opinions where of Buy to Let investors that solely deal with student lets? Obviously these are essential as students need somewhere to live but do they have the same bad smell opinion about them?

I and probably a lot of others on the board have no problem with the concept of landlords per se. The term Buy to Let to me has the implication that you are buying regardless of the price and regardless of the yield in the belief that you will make significant capital gains. That is very different from a sensible landlord business model.

I'm reminded of a an anecdote from a mate, he was an art student in Bristol in the late 80s.

The landlord of the 1st & 2nd floor flats that my mate rented, also owned the cafe on the ground floor.

After moving in, my mate went to use the loo in the morning. He opened the door, and was shocked to find a builder sitting there on the loo!

The landlord neglected to mention that the flat shared the toilet with the cafe via a double door system !

:blink::rolleyes:

He didnt ask where that 'other door' in the toilet led?

If said landlord has bought a typical house, butchered it by putting naff partition walls up to create as many rooms as possible, and rented it out to umpteen students that all have cars, with f**k all consideration for the families living next door, then that landlord is piece of felch.

Otherwise, no.

I take it that this is a personal experience you're sharing? FWIW I would never live in Broomhill in Sheffield; nice 'burb as it's virtually a student colony, and I lived there when I was a student, so I know what inconsiderate selfish tawts many of them can be!

Hello all,

Accommodation is the biggest expense students face and its the landlords business to charge as much as possible. A large portion if not all of the student loan ends up in landlords pockets; its just another (government subsidised) form of wealth transfer from the young poor to the asset rich.

Edited by chefdave

I know a couple of people who do student lets - 20-30 houses - and they make good money. Always get parents to act as guarantor. Students are fairly scummy (quite a lot of hassle) but the money seems good!

Otherwise, no.

Don't get me started - this is exactly what has just happened to me last couple of months. Stable residential area, reasonably quiet. Greedy BTL kunt has bought the semi attached to me and butchered decent 3-bed semi into 'accommodation' for 5 students. She (BTLer) has alienated all the neighbours with continual building noise and aggressive behaviour. I hope the cow suffers big drops in value and endless hassle, but unfortunately the hassle will also be mine. I'm probably going to move to escape (v. expensive solution!), but meantime any advice on retaliation would be welcome. :(

Don't get me started - this is exactly what has just happened to me last couple of months. Stable residential area, reasonably quiet. Greedy BTL kunt has bought the semi attached to me and butchered decent 3-bed semi into 'accommodation' for 5 students. She (BTLer) has alienated all the neighbours with continual building noise and aggressive behaviour. I hope the cow suffers big drops in value and endless hassle, but unfortunately the hassle will also be mine. I'm probably going to move to escape (v. expensive solution!), but meantime any advice on retaliation would be welcome. :(

Keep her sweet, she may be your only purchaser!

Actually I think it would be fair to have student accommodation regulated under planning law, so that family areas are not blighted by students. In many towns and cities certain streets are known for student accom so you know what you are in for, but if you have bought in a family area you should have some protection. If not, kill her.

I've just hopefuuly sorted a very similar problem out tonight. New build estate many 3 floor 4bed types, had some new 18-23 yr olds move into one the houses, lots of noise, like last night waking everyone in the block up between 1 and 2am today, usually loud music etc etc.

Anyway found letting agent, pulled landlord details from land reg, had words with other neighbours about the youngsters, passed on details, explained having words softly softly approach but if things dont improve contact LA and LL direct. LA seems helpful when spoke to them as well so the neighbours know becuase last thing you need is bad press and estate up in arms over one house.

Anyway had chat with new neighbours lots of apologies etc, will see if they become more considerate but if not next step is to warn them that we have the LA/LL details and they will risk getting evicted plus black listed as nuisance tenants with all the LA's in the city plus los of deposit. If still no compliance will contact LL/LA. Dont know or care how much of the penalties would happen but sometimes fear of not being to rent again, losing of money could be a deterent.

If still no go get council in. They will act very quickly if 3 or more households contact them about problem. Options include having the volume of noise monitored and all that comes with excessive noise, or Police and anti social behaviour as another option.

Dont know how successful it will be but its worth a try, certainly seems to have engaged a bit of community spirit which is always good at the very least.

Had a problem with an empty houses alarm going off on the estate last year. Spoke to Environmental Health they said if enough neighbours complained then can send someone out to disable the alarm. Printed letter explaining this, stuck it through neighbours doors and hey presto when it went off again the next evening everyone phoned, 20mins later man up ladder disabling alarm!

Sometimes there is strength in numbers but I want to see if I can get the youngsters on board as better to engage than alienate and create more problems.

Thanks, some good ideas. What p1sses me off is that these @rseholes convert the place so there is no communal room, so probably spill out into garden, plus guarantees you get the worst group, 18 y.o. undergrads fresh out of home and ready to party. Charge slightly more accommodating 4 rather than five, and you'll get some more mature or post-grad types. It's just greed, greed, greed all the way, shoddy deal for the students and feck the neighbours...

Thanks, some good ideas. What p1sses me off is that these @rseholes convert the place so there is no communal room, so probably spill out into garden, plus guarantees you get the worst group, 18 y.o. undergrads fresh out of home and ready to party. Charge slightly more accommodating 4 rather than five, and you'll get some more mature or post-grad types. It's just greed, greed, greed all the way, shoddy deal for the students and feck the neighbours...

Just had a scum landlord install scum tenants next door to me, so you have my sympathies. Full on party till 4am, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights,loads of drunks, loads of noise, like a bl00dy disco. My kids were sleeping on the bathroom floor as it was the only one that wasn't moving.

Sunday morning at 5.30 I decided to share some music with them for a few hours as they had been kind enough to share theirs with me.

My OH plays in a band so a nice big amplifier seemed up to the job. My daughter is very into heavy, heavy rock and I thought the chavs next door would really be into it. So I treated them to Marilyn Manson, Korn, Sepultura, Underoath and a good blast of Killswitch Engage just to round off the experience. ......Silence ever since.

Just had a scum landlord install scum tenants next door to me, so you have my sympathies. Full on party till 4am, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights,loads of drunks, loads of noise, like a bl00dy disco. My kids were sleeping on the bathroom floor as it was the only one that wasn't moving.

Sunday morning at 5.30 I decided to share some music with them for a few hours as they had been kind enough to share theirs with me.

My OH plays in a band so a nice big amplifier seemed up to the job. My daughter is very into heavy, heavy rock and I thought the chavs next door would really be into it. So I treated them to Marilyn Manson, Korn, Sepultura, Underoath and a good blast of Killswitch Engage just to round off the experience. ......Silence ever since.

Sweet.

Its all about the quality of your tennants.

Personally, i was a LL worst nightmare. I rippped off almost every LL i had to the tune of about 3k overall.

Actually I think it would be fair to have student accommodation regulated under planning law, so that family areas are not blighted by students. In many towns and cities certain streets are known for student accom so you know what you are in for, but if you have bought in a family area you should have some protection. If not, kill her.

Wow, it's HPC full of grumpy old men. Students are humans too you know and generally smarter and better behaved than their non-student peers. The elitism and general denigration of students shown in this thread is a poor reflection of HPC.

I and probably a lot of others on the board have no problem with the concept of landlords per se. The term Buy to Let to me has the implication that you are buying regardless of the price and regardless of the yield in the belief that you will make significant capital gains. That is very different from a sensible landlord business model.

Agreed.

Wow, it's HPC full of grumpy old men. Students are humans too you know and generally smarter and better behaved than their non-student peers. The elitism and general denigration of students shown in this thread is a poor reflection of HPC.

2 points.

1. Since almost half the 18-21 age group are students, I suggest that it is unhelpful to make such distinctions between students and non-students. Maybe in the days when only the top 10% went from Eton to university, it was true that to be a student was to demonstrate a "fine moral character". I doubt it is so now. Also I find it odd that in one breath you can claim that students are better behaved than non-students and then call the other posters "elitist"!

2. I don't think they're getting bile for being students. They're getting bile for being 18-21, IE likely to enjoy partying and staying up late, likely not to care too much about tidying the garden. It's not an elitist thing, just a simple age-related observation.

Students are humans too you know and generally smarter and better behaved than their non-student peers. The elitism and general denigration of students shown in this thread is a poor reflection of HPC.

Disagree. Spoilt dependent idlers tend not to behave as well as the youth who have to get up in the morning to do real work.

I agree, but in reality that is how to make more money, sod the neighbours. I think you will find the LL lives a long way away from his student lets.

So there we have the reason why so many people hate them. Money above all else, they generally do not live in these areas so do not give a t*ss for the residents.

I agree, but in reality that is how to make more money, sod the neighbours. I think you will find the LL lives a long way away from his student lets.

During a furious dispute with student daughter's L-lady (house was in Nottingham) we found out that she lived only about a mile from us, in Kingston. Handy when Mr B finally had to get involved. ;) Wiring of house was appalling, everything constantly blowing, manky old sofas had old-fashioned flammable stuffing bursting out all over. The L-lady was one of the very worst - very intimidating behaviour when they voiced perfectly legitimate complaints. They ended up getting in the council housing officer, who produced a massive list of work that needed doing - and if she didn't do it pronto they'd do it themselves and charge her.

Magic.

It's not often I sing the praises of local councils, but in this case they were brilliant.

I take it that this is a personal experience you're sharing? FWIW I would never live in Broomhill in Sheffield; nice 'burb as it's virtually a student colony, and I lived there when I was a student, so I know what inconsiderate selfish tawts many of them can be!

Was thinking more about the streets off Eccy Road myself. ;)

You do know it's the law to despise students as soon as you stop being one don't you?

I think my post denigrated the irresponsible BTLer rather than the students, who will understandably just do what students do. These LL focus on students because that's the only group that would live 5 to a house sharing one bathroom and kitchen, and because at £300 pm each the LL can extract a meagre but profitable yield from a house where a normal 'family' rental of, say, £800 pm would not cover their costs. It's outright exploitation of the students, and total lack of regard for the local residents.

I'll be very pleased if I get 5 pleasant quiet students move in next door - I'll welcome them. But I'm not holding my breath...