House Price Crash Forum

Latvia Says No More British Bachelor Parties

cashinmattress

HOLA441

Latvia says no more British bachelor parties

The Latvian government is apparently pissed off about Brits heading there for wild stag parties and allegedly stirring up trouble. For example, Nils Usakovs, mayor of the Latvian capitalof Riga, isn't keen on tourists urinating on the city's central monument. It's odd to me that some of the government officials are so open with their anti-British sentiments.
Usakovs said some British visitors were guilty of misbehaving: "Let's not be politically correct - unfortunately, this is their speciality."

He also said if the city had more regular tourists the badly behaving British visitors "would not be as noticeable"...

Last year the country's then interior minister, Mareks Seglins, complained about "English pigs" and said they were a "dirty, hoggish people" after a British tourist was sentenced to five days in prison after being caught urinating on the war memorial.

Earlier this year South Wales Police sent two officers to Riga to advise on how to deal with hen and stag parties from Britain.

Drunk Brits are unwelcome most places. Soon everywhere I'd imagine, especially as the bar keeps lowering, aka the deliberate dumbing down of Britain, thanks to Gordon.

Beep reports too: Latvian warning for British stags

Goes hand in hand with our own topic: Thousands Of Airline Job Losses, Cheap flight era is over, chavs will be confined to UK

The ultimate outcome will be us all having to face the ugly side of ourselves. Good thing the rozzars are keyed up and see/know all.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Are the Latvians seriously this stupid?

They are currently facing a collapse in GDP, currency collapse and are under the kosh of the IMF. You'd think that they would be doing everything they could to get foreign capital into the country.

If I could keep a few extra schools and hospitals open, I would gladly let whoever was willing to pay, piss all over any lump of inanimate metal in my capital's centre.

HOLA443

Umm. Reminds me of a similar incident in Norway where the British were behaving like "disgusting pigs" but tacked onto the end was the barowner saying "but we wouldn't want to discourage them from coming here".

In other words, we're quite happy to sell these idiots booze until it's leaking out their eyeballs but we're not happy to deal with the consequences of that.

Much as I deplore the British behaviour, it takes two to make this situation. One Brit to get stupidly drunk and one landlord to allow him/her to continue drinking until he/she gets to the badly behaved state. It's a joint responsibility.

I suspect the Latvian barowners/hotels/taxicabs/restaurants/clubs would just love this, with it coming in the middle of a financial crisis.

HOLA444

Latvia's just the latest in a long line of European victims who probably held a respectful, innocent view of who the British were, only to be hideously disabused when the lad culture got right up in the face at them. I remember this happening in Prague, Czech Rep. all of 10 years ago, with Brits already being banned from restaurants there. They were just shocked at the way their capital was being treated like a cheap beer garden, with really provocative behaviour coming from people who were actually quite well-educated, rather than chavvy. So maybe we can't ping Gordon entirely for this one ;) (worth a try, though). I doubt the influx of other tourist nationalities will make a difference to the vandals, unfortunately. :(

HOLA445
HOLA446

They are currently facing a collapse in GDP, currency collapse and are under the kosh of the IMF. You'd think that they would be doing everything they could to get foreign capital into the country.

If I could keep a few extra schools and hospitals open, I would gladly let whoever was willing to pay, piss all over any lump of inanimate metal in my capital's centre.

LOL!

We (pub and hotel group) are subtly marketing our worn out lower spec premises for stag and Hen nights and taking advantage of the trend towards staycations.

Most the outlets are due a revamp so if they get wrecked the cost is minimal (just a few safety orientated repairs) and insignificant compared to the increased sales of wife beater / WKD or other chav tipple :lol:

HOLA447
We (pub and hotel group) are subtly marketing our worn out lower spec premises for stag and Hen nights and taking advantage of the trend towards staycations.

I had a staycation, I stayed at home ffs.

What is it with people wanting a trip to go with the wedding at a seemingly random venue followed by a honeymoon somewhere exotic?

One of the guys I work with went to Riga with a group and got heavily beaten for his trouble. Even the police had a go after he'd been dumped somewhere by the first lot of locals. Wouldn't go there if you paid me :)

HOLA448

True, but then a single woman who finds herself out of work has the option to turn to prositution - it doesn't mean that she would.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

These days it's a very thin line between somewhere being a ghost town after dark and it being knee-deep in vomit and broken glass. My town started as a sleepy retirement town, got some bars and clubs and spent a few short years being actually pretty cool, then got "discovered" and is now overrun by p155sed-up brickies dressed like Davyd from Little Britain and fat slappers in cheap PVC nurse outfits most weekends.

For the Latvians - I assume weeing over a public monument breaches some local laws? Enforce those laws. Arrest the offenders, give them a few nights in the cell and a big fine. Do it right and it'll be a nice little earner.

HOLA4411
These days it's a very thin line between somewhere being a ghost town after dark and it being knee-deep in vomit and broken glass. My town started as a sleepy retirement town, got some bars and clubs and spent a few short years being actually pretty cool, then got "discovered" and is now overrun by p155sed-up brickies dressed like Davyd from Little Britain and fat slappers in cheap PVC nurse outfits most weekends.

For the Latvians - I assume weeing over a public monument breaches some local laws? Enforce those laws. Arrest the offenders, give them a few nights in the cell and a big fine. Do it right and it'll be a nice little earner.

What a horrible thought.

HOLA4412
Guest UK Debt Slave

Pissed chavs

Yet another great British export.

One day, a revised history of the world will be written and the British will be deservedly reviled.

When I go on holiday, I always choose destinations where i'm least likely to bump into British people. It's almost disappointing to meet a fellow countryman. It says so much about the abject failure of our nation that we export animals and savages all around the world whose only pursuits are alcohol bingefests.

Such a shame

I'd love to visit Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania without the stigma

HOLA4413
Guest Parry aka GOD

We used to get the absolute dregs here in the Land of Smiles. They were the worst of the worst.

An island I used to live on part of the year was frequented by them due to its the proximity to the brothel that is Pattaya. It just destroyed the quality of life for normal tourists, expats and the locals. A friend had the only English restaurant on the island and was driven to near breakdown because of them.

However! They are now gone. Not to be seen anywhere. Vanished.

Quality of life on that little island has improved ten fold since.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
We used to get the absolute dregs here in the Land of Smiles. They were the worst of the worst.

However! They are now gone. Not to be seen anywhere. Vanished.

snapz-pro-002.jpg

snapz-pro-0011.jpg

It's much the same in Latvia and Estonia. When Eastern Europe was cheap, yes, it attracted 'a certain element'. But it ain't cheap anymore - particularly with the peg to the Euro - and cheap flights ain't what they used to be. I used to pay £20 quid for a flight to Tallinn to get to St Petersburg . . . this August it was more like £150. These days I go via Berlin. Hotels are cheaper than in Riga.

So, this guy is shutting the stable door after the stag has bolted.

Is he nuts? Partly. Estonia is massively dependent upon tourism. The Baltic resorts lost all their Soviet customers and only chavs and hard drinking Finns and Swedes replaced them. There are far more drunk Scandinavians in Riga and Tallinn because alcohol is so damn expensive at home.

HOLA4417
snapz-pro-002.jpg

snapz-pro-0011.jpg

It's much the same in Latvia and Estonia. When Eastern Europe was cheap, yes, it attracted 'a certain element'. But it ain't cheap anymore - particularly with the peg to the Euro - and cheap flights ain't what they used to be. I used to pay £20 quid for a flight to Tallinn to get to St Petersburg . . . this August it was more like £150. These days I go via Berlin. Hotels are cheaper than in Riga.

So, this guy is shutting the stable door after the stag has bolted.

Is he nuts? Partly. Estonia is massively dependent upon tourism. The Baltic resorts lost all their Soviet customers and only chavs and hard drinking Finns and Swedes replaced them. There are far more drunk Scandinavians in Riga and Tallinn because alcohol is so damn expensive at home.

An Estonian girl told me that Swedes and Finns often do a package tour to Tallin - Beer and Hookers being the main attractions!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Although one does wonder what any respectable Greek woman was doing in Malia? The place is basically one long strip of British chav bars along a main road along which tourist buses and army lorries thunder day and night.

The Greeks have the right idea - corral the scum somewhere out of the way, give them all the food, drink and tacky discos they want, and they'll stay put. The problem as I see it is the newer tourist countries haven't had time to apply this model and still allow the chavs to roam free.

HOLA4421
Although one does wonder what any respectable Greek woman was doing in Malia? The place is basically one long strip of British chav bars along a main road along which tourist buses and army lorries thunder day and night.

The Greeks have the right idea - corral the scum somewhere out of the way, give them all the food, drink and tacky discos they want, and they'll stay put. The problem as I see it is the newer tourist countries haven't had time to apply this model and still allow the chavs to roam free.

Plenty of non-respectable Greek women in Crete ;)

Frequently drive through but never had reason to stop in Malia other than to buy some bananas off a roadside seller.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
When i go abroad, i pretend to be Irish

I just have to remember to watch lots of father ted episodes, to get my father Dougal impression natural, before i get on the plane

That's what the british chavs do to - unfortunately they've picked father jack as their role model! We went to Tenerife earlier in the year, and the Los Christianos area (sp?) is chav central - bars, tacky discos, lap dancing clubs, fat tattooed lobster pink Brits, the works.

HOLA4425
Pissed chavs

Yet another great British export.

One day, a revised history of the world will be written and the British will be deservedly reviled.

When I go on holiday, I always choose destinations where i'm least likely to bump into British people. It's almost disappointing to meet a fellow countryman. It says so much about the abject failure of our nation that we export animals and savages all around the world whose only pursuits are alcohol bingefests.

Such a shame

I'd love to visit Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania without the stigma

My two pen'orth - just got back from Bali. The place is over-run with Aussies. Kuta in particular is like a Australian equivalent of Blackpool.

By contrast the locals were warm , friendly, good-humoured etc.

Its not just we Brits that export pi$$ed chavs. The Aussies dont just have chav kids getting pi$$ed, their parents are alongside them in Bingtang singlet vests and bleached mullets.

Archived