House Price Crash Forum
Tyke

New Flats In Leeds

Hi,

I've been looking at granary wharf in leeds and their askign prices.

They ask for 1 bed flats of 480-90 square foot, part furnished and glass balcony... £136-142k

2 bed flats are about £200k.

This seems to be way above the other asking prices, however they are bang outside the city centre and seem to be of high quality.

Whats going on? What do you think their real value is?

Heres what were talking about: http://www.granarywharf.co.uk/living.html

Edited by Tyke

£200k for a two-bed flat ... bugger me with an electric cattle prod! That's around 10x the national average annual salary, and probably around 15x the average salary in Leeds. And being in a block, the service charge will probably be hefty as well.

I'd really like to know who is going to buy these. There can't be big enough supply of BTL-ers still in the game, surely?!

Edited by The Ayatollah Bugheri

Didn't want to create a new thread for this as it is again about Leeds.

Currently in the process of moving out of a shared 2 bedroom flat in Aspect14 that I've been in for five years at £695/month. We've decided it's time to live alone. I also want somewhere quieter.

The rental market seems really expensive for 1 bedroom flats (average around £525/month by the looks of it). Even studios seem more expensive than the £350 I was paying when sharing. Considering council tax and bills will be individually borne I'm starting to wonder if we should have pooled the extra money because there are some large two-bedroomed places in the £1000/month range.

Anyway I looked around Manor Mills earlier between city centre and Holbeck. :blink: It was completed in 2008 and there are still aren't carpets down in the corridors, nor has the protective covers out of the lifts. I was quoted £500/month for a studio, which was probably 5 metres by 5 metres :blink: . What the hell has been going on here?

For a studio I'd consider £400 the absolute limit and £500 for a flat with a separate bedroom. It seems impossible to get these with either a balcony or a river-view. <_<

As a bit of background, I work shifts so being able to walk to and from work is fairly important, which limits choices. I could just about commute so long as it was nearby and had good links (but after working a night shift the first thing you want is to crash out).

We have to move out by 13th September so a fair while yet, but given the surplus newbuilds that have gone up in Leeds why on earth is the market still so expensive and poor choice/presentation? I'd value some of these places at around £40k to purchase in 2 or 3 years!

It sounds like knocking 10% off the asking rent would bring a lot of flats into your price range.

Make a few offers and see if any get accepted. We were looking recently and were told to do this by a friendly letting agent. It probably wasn't normal when you were looking last, but it is now. Good luck.

It sounds like knocking 10% off the asking rent would bring a lot of flats into your price range.

Make a few offers and see if any get accepted. We were looking recently and were told to do this by a friendly letting agent. It probably wasn't normal when you were looking last, but it is now. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully the next place won't have next door someone who invites friends around 2 or 3 times a week after going out clubbing :angry:

We've just been looking around flats in Leeds, and IMO Granary Wharf is the best development. Solidy built, with those nice floor to ceiling windows, and a lot of the old mill features retained.