House Price Crash Forum

40/60 House Purchase?

HOLA441
HOLA442
Is it possible for two people to buy as joint tenants in non equal proportions? Say 40/60 rather than 50/50?

If this isn't someone you are planning on living with for the rest of your life (i.e. your partner, wife, husband, etc.) then you should avoid buying jointly with someone else like the plague!!! It always ends in tears and a nightmare of a mess both emotionally and financially. There is a great deal of wisdom in the old addage of - money and friendship don't mix.

If it is a brother, sister, etc. ... such arrangements also have a nasty habit of destroying family ties.

Your decision, of course, but I would think about it long and hard and be brutally honest about the possible pitfalls - which in this kind of arrangement tend to be devastating in their impact.

HOLA443
If this isn't someone you are planning on living with for the rest of your life (i.e. your partner, wife, husband, etc.) then you should avoid buying jointly with someone else like the plague!!! It always ends in tears and a nightmare of a mess both emotionally and financially. There is a great deal of wisdom in the old addage of - money and friendship don't mix.

If it is a brother, sister, etc. ... such arrangements also have a nasty habit of destroying family ties.

Your decision, of course, but I would think about it long and hard and be brutally honest about the possible pitfalls - which in this kind of arrangement tend to be devastating in their impact.

No - this is a long-term partner but we have agreements about spending money on a 50/50 basis, but I want to put more into a new house than he does.