House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Optobear

Murdoch Announces No More Free News On T'interweb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8186701.stm

"The digital revolution has opened many new and inexpensive methods of distribution," he added.

"But it has not made content free. Accordingly, we intend to charge for all our news websites. I believe that if we are successful, we will be followed by other media.

"Quality journalism is not cheap, and an industry that gives away its content is simply cannibalising its ability to produce good reporting," he said.

In order to stop readers from moving to the huge number of free news websites, Mr Murdoch said News Corp would simply make its content "better and differentiate it from other people".

If News International go that route... will others follow. He has a fair point about the cost of journalism... but will anyone pay rather than go elsewhere (to an ad paid for site)? Is this a bit like microsoft in the past trying to set up their own private internet?

Optobear

If News International go that route... will others follow. He has a fair point about the cost of journalism... but will anyone pay rather than go elsewhere (to an ad paid for site)? Is this a bit like microsoft in the past trying to set up their own private internet?

Optobear

who wants to read his shite anyway

It will be interesting to see them try this. I feel they may be thwarted by 2 simple keyboard shortcuts.

Ctrl+C

Ctrl+V

Seriously, if the entire entertainment industry has failed to stop people replicating billions of dollars worth of content all around the web for people to download for free how does Murdoch think he'll ever stop the distribution of free news?

The government must be cracking open the champagne at this news. You can bet your bottom (taxpayer-funded) dollar that The Guardian's and the BBC's website will remain free (being vastly subsidised if necessary), thereby driving people who would have read the commercial ones into their hands and increasing the circulation of propaganda.

The model has to become a slim news service, while opinion is left to the bloggers.

And by news service I mean just news. Like we used to have, no more of this (and the BBC do this all the time) having a presenter on £800k a year 'interviewing' their own corraspondant on £400k a year. Just simple straight news Paid for by advertising, Bloggers do the analysis. Anything else is pissing in the wind.

Genie is out of the bottle.

I was listening to a radio item late last night where someone stated that Murdoch does not use the Internet.

The cold truth is that many people of a certain age who work in the media, often high-up, simply do not 'get' the Internet. They are in denial about it and just do not understand what is going on.

Also, people like Murdoch, IMPO, want it both ways - they want to make money from advertising and they also want subscription revenues. In the US many individuals and groups of people have set up small online newspapers which are knocking the established Press.

What Murdoch does not like, IMPO, is the erosion of his revenue streams and his power. How old is he now?

Pay for The Times and The Sun?

:lol::lol::lol:

It perhaps reveals just how much he was reliant upon property/car sector advertising.

The Sun he'll end up bundling in with a SKY subscription somehow I imagine.

Times - who would pay? I guess Clarkson and Parris will go somewhere they'll still be read.

I pay for FT.com but I cant see myself paying for The Times, Telegraph, Daily Express :lol: etc on top of that. People make a judgement on quality if they have to pay, and will do without.

Its quite a reversal for Murdoch. Remember when he bought the Wall St Journal and tried to take on FT by offering all online content for free? That didn't last long.

I think that entire mainstream media is sh1tting itself because they keep seeing thier primary source of income (advertising) being eroded year on year. Murdoch is just applying the same model as his TV stations to his web based media. Not sure if it will work, but there will be many interested observers from other media companies. If it works for him you could see it rolled out for all news services, although not the Beeb (natch) which will see it's market increase massively, not a good thing IMO.

:lol:

I was chatting about this the other day with a friend and we agreed it is signing their own death warrants.

If they pull out of the net, independent media will fill the void. There are loads of blogs which are more expert in the subject areas anyway. All you need is a site (a bit like this one does) which pulls the articles together.

IMO, it's great to see the private media's influence waning, as it stops them perpetuating their propaganda and their agenda.

This was from July 16:

Financial Times editor says most news websites will charge within a year

The Financial Times editor, Lionel Barber, has predicted that "almost all" news organisations will be charging for online content within a year.

Barber said building online platforms that could charge readers on an article-by-article or subscription basis was one of the key challenges facing news organisations.

"How these online payment models work and how much revenue they can generate is still up in the air," Barber said in a speech at at a Media Standards Trust event at the British Academy last night.

"But I confidently predict that within the next 12 months, almost all news organisations will be charging for content."

Guardian

I was listening to a radio item late last night where someone stated that Murdoch does not use the Internet.

The cold truth is that many people of a certain age who work in the media, often high-up, simply do not 'get' the Internet. They are in denial about it and just do not understand what is going on.

Ha ha soo very true.I work in e-commerce and the MD hasn't a clue! I suggested he subscribed to the blog we keep for the company, he said no, I don't do blogging. He shouted at us for doing a promotion on Facebook, and asked why we didn't use iTunes as our marketing platform. He though that the people on the Twitter feed on the site (those 'people' being just my posts) could see what he was doing on the site. He uses his laptop to play solitaire. Imagine trying to explain a digital marketing strategy to this man. He also doesn't appear to realise that all this information is just a google away, so when he comes up with one of his stonking lies about a 'deal' he is working on, the lie is revealed in a quick search, as are his lies about his past.

Also, people like Murdoch, IMPO, want it both ways - they want to make money from advertising and they also want subscription revenues. In the US many individuals and groups of people have set up small online newspapers which are knocking the established Press.

What Murdoch does not like, IMPO, is the erosion of his revenue streams and his power. How old is he now?

I can well believe that Murdoch is a bit out of touch on the internet - but we ought to remember that he has been very savvy in the past. To make his proposal work he would need to knock the BBC out of competition. Look for lots of articles and media pressure to end the licence fee.

I have some sympathy for his perspective on the cost of journalism - the telegraph investigation into MPs expenses didn't come cheap, but Google makes searching for substitution sources so very easy. Could there be a time where google starts to employ journalists?

It will be interesting to see them try this. I feel they may be thwarted by 2 simple keyboard shortcuts.

Ctrl+C

Ctrl+V

Seriously, if the entire entertainment industry has failed to stop people replicating billions of dollars worth of content all around the web for people to download for free how does Murdoch think he'll ever stop the distribution of free news?

:lol: Very good point! It would be hard to track down and sue the perpetrators too.

Still, I don't think we really need their "quality journalism" anyway. Anyone can set up an independent website and tunnel news and discussion. I should imagine there would be passionate reporters who would even do it at personal cost to get the truth out - I'm sure there are plenty of such examples already.

Private control of media RIP.

He has a high opinion of the worth of The Scum, etc., - who da hell would be sensible money to read that trash online? A commercial mistake unless he offers loads of sweeteners - free fake tan when you sign up, etc.,

Optobear

If news international go that way then more and more people will drift to forums and free news sites. I honestly think that most people use online news sites because they are free. I can't remember the last time I paid for any website (apart from that one :unsure: )

Will make linking to stories a pain though.

How would the Mods deal with people cutting and pasting stories for validation of posts?

As the FT has succesfully done this already, I can see all the broadsheets doing it within a year. The ones that survive that long, that is (Indy is on its knees; Tories will take the guardian down by removing public sector recruitment ads)

Optobear

I don't think he'll succeed... I consume free news on the web... I would consume the FT on the web but don't as they have a subscription model..... if The Times goes subscription then maybe the Telegraph will stay free.. Murdoch will still have all the costs of keeping the interent site up and current but much less online readership... I don't think its a model that will have any success unless everyone folllows... and even then the BBC who have huge web sources will probbaly produce a more user friendly news service.

I don't think he'll succeed... I consume free news on the web... I would consume the FT on the web but don't as they have a subscription model..... if The Times goes subscription then maybe the Telegraph will stay free.. Murdoch will still have all the costs of keeping the interent site up and current but much less online readership... I don't think its a model that will have any success unless everyone folllows... and even then the BBC who have huge web sources will probbaly produce a more user friendly news service.

BBC, MSN, Yahoo - they're all falling over themselves to provide "news", to get you using their other services. There will be no shortage of quality news out there and when people start discovering the alternatives... I just think there will be a lot of people who feel like they are waking up from a bad dream.

TBH, I think the papers will rue the day when they let their power slip, in the search for revenue too. If people don't read your paper, with your opinions, how are you going to shape the electorate? It opens all sorts of flood gates to independent news are thinking, which is probably the last thing these guys want.