House Price Crash Forum

Ftb's Could You Buy A House Now?

Guest Disposable Heroes

HOLA441
Guest DisposableHeroes

Are you waiting for a better house / smaller mortgage?

I understand most FTB's on HPC will be better informed and driven savers than people who are not.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Are you waiting for a better house / smaller mortgage?

I understand most FTB's on HPC will be better informed and driven savers than people who are not.

In theory, I reckon we could buy a house in the area we're thinking of, in fact the missus is getting more antsy by the day so i'm trying to stave her off till Christmas. My biggest fear/source of annoyance will be missing the bottom too prematurely. Even if I prove her wrong, what good is that if we could have bought somewhere for 10-20k cheaper?

HOLA445
In theory, I reckon we could buy a house in the area we're thinking of, in fact the missus is getting more antsy by the day so i'm trying to stave her off till Christmas. My biggest fear/source of annoyance will be missing the bottom too prematurely. Even if I prove her wrong, what good is that if we could have bought somewhere for 10-20k cheaper?

the FEAR machine is working with this one, ObeGordon.

HOLA446

I think you might have already missed it by a few months.

HOLA447
HOLA448

im in a fortunate position to have cash to buy outright (im a ftb). however im young and enjoying having holidays etc. will prob get engaged this year and prob look to build a house in a couple of years to coincide with getting married etcwhen we'll hopefully be somewhere near a nominal bottom.

ill be buying in northern ireland anyway so no matter what happens in uk the market here is fecked (we hit 11x earnings but are now 40% off peak)

just the annoying being a tenant having to ask landlord and being refused on a sky dish etc etc

Edited by getdoon_weebobby

HOLA449

Even with me and the missus both at 'crossroads' career wise, we managed to secure an affordable mortgage on our modest house. Sure we could of got something much better, but not at over 3 x joint salary we wasn't.

This was in 2003, when houses even up narf were overpriced then. There's no way we could afford to buy the same house now, even though our household income has more then doubled. This says it all, absolute madness.

HOLA4410
Good God, don't listen to the missus.
the FEAR machine is working with this one, ObeGordon.

Ha ha you haven't met my missus, a bear with a sore head (there's probably a pun in there). In short, we need to move by Q1 2010 at the latest (long boring story) so that's a given. I'm being increasingly concerned by the recent temporary rises slowing down the crash, much to my chagrin. Last night I mentioned to the missus the possibility of privately renting a house in the new area for a year or two. Her response? "No, it's dead money"...

In any event, when push comes to shove I reckon we could get a two bed terrace for 115-120k which would be a good 40k off-peak so i'm not going to be too gutted.

And yes, i've got no balls.

Editted: Sh1te spolling

Edited by hyperinflation-a-go-go

HOLA4411
Still ridiculously overpriced. This generation is totally screwed over when you think about student debt and the humongous prices attached to housing. Can't folks see how only the 30y/o+s are getting by ok?

This just disgusts me, leave uni with a large debt, house just always out of reach.

I was in Willesden Green, London yesterday. This is not a wealthy area, but an agent had a window full of rentals, bedsits and one bedders at £250 + per week. Who are the people who can afford to part with such a large chunk of their income on a lousy flat?

HOLA4412
Ha ha you haven't met my missus, a bear with a sore head (there's probably a pun in there). In short, we need to move by Q1 2010 at the latest (long boring story) so that's a given. I'm being increasingly concerned by the recent temporary rises slowing down the crash, much to my chagrin. Last night I mentioned to the missus the possibility of privately renting a house in the new area for a year or two. Her response? "No, it's dead money"...

In any event, when push comes to shove I reckon we could get a two bed terrace for 115-120k which would be a good 40k off-peak so i'm not going to be too gutted.

after 17 years of renting, my missus is totally behind the security it offers.

we are currently in avery large house with U shaped gravel drive and 150x200 ft garden with horses in the field behind

I reckon it would market for 400K.

costs £10 pw more than the place we just moved from....and you really could fit 4 of those on this plot.

we, sadly are going to be ruined by this experience....even a 5 bedroom newbuild would seem cramped.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I daresay I probably could get some sort of mortgage, but why would I bother yet?

I'm quite enjoying being on the cusp of zero net worth, a feeling I last enjoyed at the age of 18.

HOLA4417

Where are you moving to ? Not anywhere near your present area I take it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
*Prepares for mockery*

Dagenham, the cheapest and closest area to the in-laws. Obviously i'd prefer Hornchurch/Rainham/Upminster, then again i'd like to win the lottery but that's not going to happen either.

No mockery from me. £115k for a two bed terrace sounds great.

HOLA4420
Guest Skinty
Can't folks see how only the 30y/o+s are getting by ok?

Some 30 year olds. Not all of us jumped on the property ladder at first chance.

HOLA4421
I think you might have already missed it by a few months.

Missed what? The bottom of the market? No way, not even close, we're still above historic trend, unemployment is still rising, interest rates can only go one way... no way does a 15 year boom and bubble accompanied by the worse global financial conditions since the 1930s result in 'just' an 18 month, ~20% correction. The bottom is still a few years away and a lot lower than where we are today.

Edited by clv101

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I'm nearing 30 and have yet to buy my first place. I have enough to buy now, but I'm conscious that my employment status for the foreseeable future isn't certain, so I'd be insane to buy. Coupled with the still extortionate price of property these days, I'm in no hurry to part with my cash.

I'll wait until I pay off my only loan (I've got about £3k left on that, which will take another year) before I even think of looking at the market.

I'm looking for salary multipliers re: house prices to settle back to 3.5

HOLA4425
I could but there is no way I am buying at the moment. Another 2-3 years saving for me and then buy for cash.

Ditto, only 1-2 years in my case, hopefully. Savings earmarked for home purchase currently stand at £72k - the kind of place I have my eye on (2-bedroom semi in a reasonable area within 10 miles of Leeds city centre) currently goes for £90-100. I'm hoping that in a year's time, these places will be down to £80-90k and my savings will have grown almost to the point of being able to buy outright. If prices are continuing to fall at a significant rate next spring-summer, then of course I'll hold off for longer.