House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Signs Point To Britain Being On The Cusp Of Economic Fightback

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle6740813.ece

Britain appears to be on the verge of economic recovery amid signs that the worst downturn in decades may be coming to an end.

Manufacturing output and house prices rose and the service sector yesterday reported its strongest spurt of growth for 17 months.

The upbeat data prompted speculation in the City that the Bank of England would give a further sign today that the economy is on the mend and end its policy of quantitative easing, the process of injecting money into the economy to encourage growth, which has so far cost £125 billion.

Business leaders made last-ditch pleas to the Bank to do more to guarantee a decisive economic resurgence, but many City experts were betting that it would show its confidence in an early end to recession by putting the scheme on hold at noon today.

Mervyn King, its Governor, is expected to take a cautious stance when he gives his latest assessment of Britain’s economic outlook next week. He is likely to voice growing faith in a short-term upturn, but warn about dangers that could yet derail recovery.

The positive news on the economy will be welcomed by Gordon Brown, whose hopes of keeping Labour in power at the next election will largely depend on the economic outlook.

Sushil Wadwani, a former member of the Bank’s rate-setting committee, told The Times that it should halt the policy for the moment. “The short-term economic outlook is strongly positive,†he said.

Dr Wadhwani, who also sits on The Times’s panel of economic experts, is usually noted as an advocate of aggressive moves to boost growth, but he said that printing more money could cause an unwarranted inflation scare.

Official figures showed that Britain’s factories and utilities increased their output by 0.5 per cent in June, turning in their strongest showing since October 2007.

It's a miracle Brown has rescued the economy, the worst is over the recovery is here.

More ramping in the press saying the recession is over.

I'm convinced it's time to move house again.

Brown's formula for recovery: more debt added to existing debt:

"Green shoots that result from an overdose of fertiliser shrivel and die before bearing fruit. Organic growth that lasts must be backed by real gains in production and wealth generated apart from the aquisition of liabilities."

Couldn't agree more.

Guest joeschmo
It's a miracle Brown has rescued the economy, the worst is over the recovery is here.

But he has. Cant wait to see what spin the Tory goons place on this one. If they blamed him for the recession they will have to give him the credit for the recovery ! I see another Labour term :lol: Fantastic news, I always knew good would prevail

Edited by joeschmo

But he has. Cant wait to see what spin the Tory goons place on this one. If they blamed him for the recession they will have to give him the credit for the recovery ! I see another Labour term :lol: Fantastic news, I always knew good would prevail

Sarcasm rarely comes across well on a blog/thread

prat

lol

Labour is dead for a generation and rightly so, To the day I die, I will never vote Labour again.

Like a teenager with a credit card they just don't know when to stop. Given that we all knew deep down that Labour could not run an economy, you would think given one last chance that this time they would not feck it up. Wrong wrong wrong.

The broadsheets all have the same headline today ! When you see a day like today, I don't think there's any argument about the media being manipulated somehow ?

The broadsheets all have the same headline today ! When you see a day like today, I don't think there's any argument about the media being manipulated somehow ?

Certainly bad news for Dave and his Eton mafia.

Guest theboltonfury

Sadly, I believe you are being serious.

Oh dear.

You still here?

Get back into the off-topic area troll-boy. This sh*t doesn't wash on the main forum.

You still here?

Get back into the off-topic area troll-boy. This sh*t doesn't wash on the main forum.

It seems odd to me that people are allowed,encouraged even,to slag Brown off but someone who has a contrary view gets flamed.Personally I dislike Brown and most of his team because they are lightweights and indistinguishable from the opposition.There is however a grain of truth in what Joeschmo writes.If the economy is recovering it is going to be bloody hard for the Tories and their media pals to prevent it becoming obvious for the next ten months.OK I know the argument, dire financial circumstances etc etc but the markets clearly don't really believe it.

Electoral politics is extremely complicated.Sad ******* that I am it has been my area of study for over thirty years and every GE has both similarities and differences with all the others.This one will have a lot of differences from 2005 and it hinges on three things.

1.How successfully the Tories can persuade the electorate that they are a centre ground party.

2.Where the defecting Labour vote goes

3.The electorate's perception of the economy.

If Cameron gets all three in his favour he will win comfortably.If he gets two he will win and it will be close but one of his two has to be (3) If he only gets two and one isn't (3) the best he will achieve is major party.Less than that and he is history along with Major,Hague,IDS and Howard.There is,in my opinion a hell of a lot of chickens being counted on here.

Edited by profitofdoom

Err, sorry no...

My pink paper says: "MPC raises recovery doubts"

Maybe you just need to invest an extra £1 a day in a paper with decent jornalists? ;)

It seems odd to me that people are allowed,encouraged even,to slag Brown off but someone who has a contrary view gets flamed.Personally I dislike Brown and most of his team because they are lightweights and indistinguishable from the opposition.There is however a grain of truth in what Joeschmo writes.If the economy is recovering it is going to be bloody hard for the Tories and their media pals to prevent it becoming obvious for the next ten months.OK I know the argument, dire financial circumstances etc etc but the markets clearly don't really believe it.

Electoral politics is extremely complicated.Sad ******* that I am it has been my area of study for over thirty years and every GE has both similarities and differences with all the others.This one will have a lot of differences from 2005 and it hinges on three things.

1.How successfully the Tories can persuade the electorate that they are a centre ground party.

2.Where the defecting Labour vote goes

3.The electorate's perception of the economy.

If Cameron gets all three in his favour he will win comfortably.If he gets two he will win and it will be close but one of his two has to be (3) If he only gets two and one isn't (3) the best he will achieve is major party.Less than that and he is history along with Major,Hague,IDS and Howard.There is,in my opinion a hell of a lot of chickens being counted on here.

A good and interesting post

But whoever gets in, after the election the medicine is going to be the same:

- personal tax rises

- public spending cuts

- interest rate raises

Its like asking if you'd like your new car in black or noir ;)

Err, sorry no...

My pink paper says: "MPC raises recovery doubts"

Maybe you just need to invest an extra £1 a day in a paper with decent jornalists? ;)

The media being manipulated by a LABOUR government is about as likely as 9/11 being perpetrated by the Rabbi and some geezers in black homburgs with long curly bits.

Telegraph very bearish on front page warning "slump is far from over".

The Telegraph apart from the odd maverick like Heffer is indistinguishable from the Tory party.They will be at the vanguard of persuading the electorate that it's wall to wall doom and gloom.My guess is that they think they are whistling in the dark.If Cameron fails then paradoxically the effect on the Tory party will be seismic with the old school saying "We told you so" on Social Liberalism,Europe etc.

no he hasnt. he HAS committed you to further tax rises next year, and the year after, and the year after......

A good and interesting post

But whoever gets in, after the election the medicine is going to be the same:

- personal tax rises

- public spending cuts

- interest rate raises

Its like asking if you'd like your new car in black or noir ;)

Not quite - Labour are not beyond destroying the middle classes in the prosess of suporting the cleint state, chavs and their banker friends.

So its not quite the same deal.

Not quite - Labour are not beyond destroying the middle classes in the prosess of suporting the cleint state, chavs and their banker friends.

So its not quite the same deal.

And yet we are always being told on here that we M/Class Boomers are raking it in at the expense of generation X ,Y,Etc.

And yet we are always being told on here that we M/Class Boomers are raking it in at the expense of generation X ,Y,Etc.

and you are told the opposite by other posters....what is your point?