House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

How Families Who Overfill Their Bins Are Getting Bigger Fines Than Shoplifters

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...hoplifters.html

Shoplifters are getting lighter punishments than families who overfill their bins, the country's prosecutions watchdog said yesterday.

The comments by Stephen Wooler, the Chief Inspector of the Crown Prosecution Service, will inflame the row over the march towards 'soft justice' under Labour.

More than half of all crimes are now dealt with outside court as hundreds of thousands of offenders escape with cautions or on-the-spot fines for theft, loutish behaviour and smoking cannabis each year.

But at the same time, otherwise law-abiding citizens who commit bin 'crimes' or stray into bus lanes are being hit with fines of up to £120.

In evidence to a committee of MPs, Mr Wooler said: 'I could point to parts of the country where you might attract a £60 fine or fixed penalty for shoplifting or criminal damage and yet from the local authority a large fine if you overfill your wheelie bin or in London, if you are in a bus lane, it would be even more.'

He said he was 'not satisfied that the level of checks and balances' on the issuing of on-the-spot fines for crimes such as shoplifting is ' sufficient to retain public confidence'.

His comments were made to Westminster's Justice Committee as part of an investigation into the way offenders are prosecuted by the criminal justice system.

The MPs concluded that the increase in so-called out 'of court disposals' such as shoplifting fines had led to a 'fundamental shift' in the way justice is delivered.

They are demanding 'systematic scrutiny' of the new regime, which has also been criticised by magistrates for allowing offenders to escape a chastening day in court.

Last year, only 48 per cent - or 673,227 - of the criminals supposedly brought to justice were actually charged or summonsed.

The remainder ended with the suspect getting an on-the- spot fine, caution, cannabis warning or other type of sanction. Last year, the number of on-the-spot fines was an all-time record 207,500.

The Magistrates' Association believes the number of criminals being punished outside the courts may now have reached 55 per cent.

Insane yes, but there is no need to overfill your bin if you just recycle your damn waste. I take out all the glass, plastic, tins and cans and we barely half full the black bin most weeks and we are a family of six, throw in the composter as we produce very little rubbish. I know that the council have also been trialling some cone which goes into the ground for wasted cooked food so if I can get one of those there will be even less rubbish.

People who overfill the bins are just lazy tw@s who don't want to reduce there waste.

It's easy and simple, perhaps the solution is to fine thieves more than lazy tw@s?

Guest eight
People who overfill the bins are just lazy tw@s who don't want to reduce there waste.

Not as lazy as the twunts who refuse to collect it despite being paid handsomely to do so.

eight

If anyone actually thinks a council would fine somebody for overfilling their bin without multiple warnings, offers of help, additional recycling boxes etc being provided they are very wrong.

I worked at a council when they introduced a fortnightly collection system and 99% of the population coped with no problems at all. Those with huge families were given an extra bin and extra recycling boxes. However the serial moaners amongst the population who dumped their rubbish in the streets, ran to the local paper and complained about "the health risks" of forthnightly collections made so much fuss you'd have thought the scheme was a disaster.

4 years on and it is working with no problems at all.

Insane yes, but there is no need to overfill your bin if you just recycle your damn waste. I take out all the glass, plastic, tins and cans and we barely half full the black bin most weeks and we are a family of six, throw in the composter as we produce very little rubbish. I know that the council have also been trialling some cone which goes into the ground for wasted cooked food so if I can get one of those there will be even less rubbish.

It's easy and simple, perhaps the solution is to fine thieves more than lazy tw@s?

I pay thousands of pounds a year to the council to do that for me. If I am sorting their waste will I pay less. I also have 3 different full size wheelie bins, a small food bin and a smaller 'food box' for recycling. Tell me how we are all supposed to store these things. And if I go to the tip myself, the CO2 produced by my car far outweighs the environmental advantage of recycling (I expect).

We don't overfill bins anyway - the only one that's ever full is the garden waste one - and they refuse to pick up 'extra green waste' - which is ironic.

A friend of mine has an antiques shop. Very little rubbish is generated so he just takes his rubbish home with him.

I was with him in the shop the other day when a council administrator comes in demanding to know why he does not have a council waste disposal contract, he explains that he generates a tiny amount of rubbish and just takes it home. The administrator says that is not good enough and issues a £400 fine.

The administrator was also clearly taking delight in doing this, even though we had both been extremely polite. I suspect commission.

It took everything I had not to hit the c@@t. A sad reflection of Britain under Zanulabour. A a clear example of both the fascism in revenue collection and an excellent example of a job that does not need to exist being funded through local rates.

I am paying for this supposed service together with a legion of environmental clowns in local governmnet. If the service is not being provided reduce the cost..not fines.

I was with him in the shop the other day when a council administrator comes in demanding to know why he does not have a council waste disposal contract, he explains that he generates a tiny amount of rubbish and just takes it home. The administrator says that is not good enough and issues a £400 fine.

That's horrific. Is it actually "real" as in he has to pay it rather than one of these phoney fines you can just ignore?

If anyone actually thinks a council would fine somebody for overfilling their bin without multiple warnings, offers of help, additional recycling boxes etc being provided they are very wrong.

I worked at a council when they introduced a fortnightly collection system and 99% of the population coped with no problems at all. Those with huge families were given an extra bin and extra recycling boxes. However the serial moaners amongst the population who dumped their rubbish in the streets, ran to the local paper and complained about "the health risks" of forthnightly collections made so much fuss you'd have thought the scheme was a disaster.

4 years on and it is working with no problems at all.

Fortnightly collections are a disgrace..third world..stinking rubbish in the bin for two weeks. The only people satisfied with this are the overstaffed local governent department who can cut service enabling them to wate money on pC projects! Evryone I know hates forrtnightly collections...collect the rubbish that is what the local council is paid for. Lets have a local refereundum on this?

I used to live in a block where our bins were placed outside the communal front door of the property. When we got recycling bins there wasn't enough space for twice as many bins so we had to build a special place by the garages for them, meaning that you had to walk an extra 30 yards to throw away your rubbish.

One lazy *anker decided it would be OK for him to just continue to dump his black bin bags by the ront door like he always used to. I have no idea how he thought that his "point" was going to change anything

tim

Fortnightly collections are a disgrace..third world..stinking rubbish in the bin for two weeks. The only people satisfied with this are the overstaffed local governent department who can cut service enabling them to wate money on pC projects! Evryone I know hates forrtnightly collections...collect the rubbish that is what the local council is paid for. Lets have a local refereundum on this?

When I lived in Germany there is no "council tax" but a direct charge for the things that the council provided to the house.

Recycling waste was collected free (every 2nd week) but other waste was charged per collection. You could chose: 13, 26 or 52 collections per year.

Most people voted with their wallet and had 13 collections per year, so ISTM that it works perfectly well when you actually see the savings.

What do think is a sensible penalty for not setting up a recycling centre in your home?

A friend of mine has an antiques shop. Very little rubbish is generated so he just takes his rubbish home with him.

The administrator was also clearly taking delight in doing this, even though we had both been extremely polite. I suspect commission.

Your friend should prepare a statement saying how he deals with his refuse (Taking it home or putting it in a public waste bin is not allowed under nulabour - although you might get away with taking an apple core home and composting it -)

He should declare his twice annual visit on foot to the correct recycling points for his refuse. (Assuming the bye-laws allow for business waste to be recycled with domestic waste) and state he generates no food waste, no paper waste, no material waste etc

And if they refuse to back down he should go to the local paper and start up a campaign against the bin fascists.

Bins are one thing that get people's backs up (no bin riots yet though)

It surprises me that people have more than one black bin. (small families too) - what on earth do they throw out each fortnight?

What do think is a sensible penalty for not setting up a recycling centre in your home?

My more sensible head says more communal recycling bins although this opens up the potential for more vandalism.

We need to recycle more the planet only has limited resources.

£120 is excessive when you consider that you get fined less for criminal acts.

We all need to consume less.

I pay thousands of pounds a year to the council to do that for me. If I am sorting their waste will I pay less. I also have 3 different full size wheelie bins, a small food bin and a smaller 'food box' for recycling. Tell me how we are all supposed to store these things. And if I go to the tip myself, the CO2 produced by my car far outweighs the environmental advantage of recycling (I expect).

We don't overfill bins anyway - the only one that's ever full is the garden waste one - and they refuse to pick up 'extra green waste' - which is ironic.

+1

My more sensible head says more communal recycling bins although this opens up the potential for more vandalism.

We need to recycle more the planet only has limited resources.

We are not running out of aluminum or glass

£120 is excessive when you consider that you get fined less for criminal acts.

I think people should organise into groups and dump their rubbish in the local councilor's gardens until the council deigns to provide the services it is charging for, without inflicting fines.

We all need to consume less.

Please be my guest

Edited by Stars

How difficult is it to put bottles in one bin and cardboard in another? :unsure:

Presumably some people have trouble getting their toothbrush into the mouth rather than their ear and are unable to match a pair of socks without help.

Very strange behaviour indeed. :blink:

Guest The Relaxation Suite

Britain once ruled over two thirds of the world. British law and adminstration was practiced on nearly every continent, from Melbourne to Madras, from Karachi to Kelowna. Its industry and innovation gave the world much of its best inventions, brought modern sanitation and healthcare to the third world and gave the globe a lingua franca for the 21st Century.

Today, not a day goes by without the British obsessing about wheelie bins. They talk about what to put in them. They debate about where is the correct place to put them. They worry about their colour, and whether they're put out on the right days.

Pathetic. It's like watching a great old general bumbling about his conservatory obsessing about the symmetry of his spare slippers.

Fantastic, it's just a good job we aren't running out of oil. As long as we can keep mining all will be fine.

Might i suggest you recycle aluminum and make money by doing so rather than lambasting people who don't find it such a fascinating task

Might i suggest you recycle aluminum and make money by doing so rather than lambasting people who don't find it such a fascinating task

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_recycling

Aluminium recycling is the process by which scrap aluminium can be reused in products after its initial production. The process involves simply re-melting the metal, which is far less expensive and energy intensive than creating new aluminium through the electrolysis of aluminium oxide (Al2O3), which must first be mined from bauxite ore and then refined using the Bayer process. Recycling scrap aluminum requires only 5% of the energy used to make new aluminium. [1] For this reason, approximately 31% of all aluminium produced in the United States comes from recycled scrap. [2]

A common practice since the early 1900s and extensively capitalized during World War II, aluminium recycling is not new. It was, however, a low-profile activity until the late 1960s when the exploding popularity of aluminium beverage cans finally placed recycling into the public consciousness. [3]

Sources for recycled aluminium include aircraft, automobiles, bicycles, boats, computers, cookware, gutters, siding, wire, and many other products that require a strong light weight material, or a material with high thermal conductivity. As recycling does not damage the metal's structure, aluminium can be recycled indefinitely and still be used to produce any product for which new aluminium could have been used.[4]

It's not that I find it fascinating it's that I'd rather have cheaper products than having to mine the materials over and over again.

Perhaps you like wasting money. If so please send me some as clearly you don't want it and in the great scheme of thinks it won't matter will it.

Then by all means do it

I can even open the bottles myself. Do you have a man that does? Perhaps a punkawallah to tend to your every need?

It's like a public school boys dorm this place at times. Can't wipe their arses without matron's help.

http://www.articlegold.com/Article/Alumini...ng-Process/1147

As aluminum is the most common metal on the planet, why do we bother recycling it? We aren't going to run out of it for eons, but using new product is actually more energy consuming. Another issue is the waste factor.

People living in North America waste a huge number of products every year. All this waste ends up in landfills and we are running out of room to establish more of them. Not only that, but waste harms all animal and plant life living in the landfill sites.

To get more people to recycle aluminum, companies might consider deposits. When we buy a can, we usually are paying a deposit built into its price. If we want that deposit back, we must return the can. It then enters the cycle of going to a recycling center and then on to be processed.

Recycling is good for everybody as it lessens waste accumulation, saves energy, and creates jobs. A lot of people are more environmentally conscious than ever before, but there are still a number of them who don't think about it or decide it's too much trouble. They are still just tossing used aluminum cans and other recyclables.

Also I have no desire to live in a sh1t tip.

I can even open the bottles myself. Do you have a man that does? Perhaps a punkawallah to tend to your every need?

It's like a public school boys dorm this place at times. Can't wipe their arses without matron's help.

I'm not paying a punkwallah, I just have aircon at home and I just don't trust these Indians to set the timer right on it.

It's not that I find it fascinating it's that I'd rather have cheaper products than having to mine the materials over and over again.

Like i said, if you are fired by this issue then get out there and save all the money you like

Perhaps you like wasting money. If so please send me some as clearly you don't want it and in the great scheme of thinks it won't matter will it.

I don't want to send my money to you, i want to waste it on me, and one of the ways i waste money is not combing my bins for metals every evening.

Is that ok with you?