House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gus

Do You Have The Killer Instinct

This site is full to overflowing with tales of renters whose noses were repeatedly rubbed in the dirt by friends and associates who derided renters; we were/are treated as pariahs, lower down the social scale, to be pitied, pilloried and blamed.

Despite the recent inane claims to market resurrection, there are legions of vendors out there who are in increasing amounts of trouble because they cannot offload.

Last week I made enquiries about a property on the Borders. It had originally been listed at 375K which suddenly changed to POA. I phoned the EA who said that the vendor ,due to ill health, was desperate to sell and would probably take 320-330K. Fact is of course, he may be forced to take whatever he is offered, depending on the prognosis.

This is where things get difficult. Some of us would surely go for the jugular. Such action might be vindicated when we consider how many have suffered in the past from gazumping, withdrawals and general dumping-on by vendors and EA alike . Others being softer, more generous and "nice" , might take some pity and offer the 320K.

But in this mixed up, confused market of the last 10 years ,how do we now calculate the fair and real value? In cases like this , those with a conscience might not feel very good, about having their "embarrassingly low"accepted in the rather unfortunate circumstances.

What are your thoughts?

This site is full to overflowing with tales of renters whose noses were repeatedly rubbed in the dirt by friends and associates who derided renters; we were/are treated as pariahs, lower down the social scale, to be pitied, pilloried and blamed.

Despite the recent inane claims to market resurrection, there are legions of vendors out there who are in increasing amounts of trouble because they cannot offload.

Last week I made enquiries about a property on the Borders. It had originally been listed at 375K which suddenly changed to POA. I phoned the EA who said that the vendor ,due to ill health, was desperate to sell and would probably take 320-330K. Fact is of course, he may be forced to take whatever he is offered, depending on the prognosis.

This is where things get difficult. Some of us would surely go for the jugular. Such action might be vindicated when we consider how many have suffered in the past from gazumping, withdrawals and general dumping-on by vendors and EA alike . Others being softer, more generous and "nice" , might take some pity and offer the 320K.

But in this mixed up, confused market of the last 10 years ,how do we now calculate the fair and real value? In cases like this , those with a conscience might not feel very good, about having their "embarrassingly low"accepted in the rather unfortunate circumstances.

What are your thoughts?

yeah, I feel totally Amoral picking up a BOGOF in the supermarket, or buying a lastyears model car for 30% off. I never realised why I felt somehow dirty.

thanks

yeah, I feel totally Amoral picking up a BOGOF in the supermarket, or buying a lastyears model car for 30% off. I never realised why I felt somehow dirty.

thanks

You're welcome.

You're welcome.

course, one could wait till the estate was in probate.

First and foremost, put any BS about the state of the vendor's health out of your mind. What has that got to do with the value of the property?

What are your thoughts?

Providing you're not withholding info from them and being honest, your giving them the best price given their timeframe. Nothing immoral.

First and foremost, put any BS about the state of the vendor's health out of your mind. What has that got to do with the value of the property?

So let's say you visit the property and meet the ailing 60 year old, whose not dying but suffering from a progressive and debilitating disease. No wife or kids and he's a likeable fella. He wanted 375k but will take 320K. You think(?) it's "worth" 300K (for some reason , but I'm no valuer). Sensing his desperation however, and knowing his predicament do you try it on for 250?

Reference your point : what is the value of the property??

So let's say you visit the property and meet the ailing 60 year old, whose not dying but suffering from a progressive and debilitating disease. No wife or kids and he's a likeable fella. He wanted 375k but will take 320K. You think(?) it's "worth" 300K (for some reason , but I'm no valuer). Sensing his desperation however, and knowing his predicament do you try it on for 250?

I am sure the banks will have an opinion on that ..

Edited by moneyfornothing

If I were you I'd spend a few hours flogging yourself. You know you want to.

I think you might just be right!

Check how much he bought it for in the first place... probably not a lot!

Then, make an offer that matches that with some inflation. An offer of £250k would probably still be enough to give him a profit.

It's not unfair or remotely morally wrong by any standards to offer someone equal to or more than what they paid for a place.

£250k is a definite realistic level to gun for.

Edited by DementedTuna

Guest Skinty

The seller doesn't have to sell. The seller has to make his own choices.

After all, if you offered 100K then the seller won't sell. If it's a matter of 250 compared to the 350 and the seller agrees, then it's because he decided that it was worth it.

It's not like you are putting a gun to his head at the same time as making the offer.

Offer what you think it is worth,

What are your thoughts?

I think most people would go for the lowest price they thought they could get away with. I do think that some HPC.co.uk would justify it by passing some sort of moral judgment on the seller. ie they are a "chav" or "greedy" or drive an X5 "mewmobile". Whatever gets you through the night...

Check how much he bought it for in the first place... probably not a lot!

Then, make an offer that matches that with some inflation. An offer of £250k would probably still be enough to give him a profit.

It's not unfair or remotely morally wrong by any standards to offer someone equal to or more than what they paid for a place.

�250k is a definite realistic level to gun for.

I think you're right: what he paid plus inflation over the interim.

But what I wanted to gauge was the reaction to the ethical question. Problem is of course, what Johnny says he'll do and what he does are very different.

What are your thoughts?

Offer £250k, but tell the EA you were going to offer £200k, but your conscience wouldn't allow it.

?

Edited by nixy

Offer £250k, but tell the EA you were going to offer £200k, but your conscience wouldn't allow it.

?

[/quote

What????

I don't often agree with Minos, he's a bit Tebbit for me, but here I must....

Hair shirts, fasting and long hours at prayer, then offer 200k, the money saved can be spent on holidays with a 25yo Polish mistress(make sure the other parishioners don't find out though)

More seriously, just get on with it. You're only looking to justify a decision you've already taken.

Hair shirts, fasting and long hours at prayer, then offer 200k, the money saved can be spent on holidays with a 25yo Polish mistress(make sure the other parishioners don't find out though)

More seriously, just get on with it. You're only looking to justify a decision you've already taken.

Eventually, you'll come to agree with everything I say. It just takes time.

[/quote

Maybe I'll avoid the ethical dilemma entirely whilst taking your advice on the holidays and the 25 year old Polish mistress - even if that's a bit old by Indonesian standards!