House Price Crash Forum
Dubai

Is This A Good Plan?

NewsCorp appears to be losing wads of cash as the public desert his tv stations and 'news'papers.

So he's going to charge for internet access to same...... :blink:

The worst U.S. recession since World War II battered ad sales at News Corp.’s TV stations, social-networking Web site MySpace and newspapers, which include the New York Post and the Sunday Times. Chairman and Chief Executive Rupert Murdoch said he plans to begin charging for access to all the company’s news Web sites this fiscal year, using WSJ.com as a model.

“The tumultuous and unprecedented change affecting the entire media sector, particularly at newspapers and broadcasters, cannot be ignored,†Murdoch said on a conference call. “The digital revolution has opened many new methods of distribution, but it has not made content free.â€

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=new...id=avIR4MBET2Ck

They can blame the recession, but I think there are more relevant reasons why the public are deserting the meeja.

It reminds me of that profoundly stupid BTL novice girl on a property programme: "If interest rates rise? It's easy, I'll just raise the rent!"

Quite a few companies have tried raising prices recently in response to slowing demand and quickly backpedalled or went bust following that.

It reminds me of that profoundly stupid BTL novice girl on a property programme: "If interest rates rise? It's easy, I'll just raise the rent!"

Quite a few companies have tried raising prices recently in response to slowing demand and quickly backpedalled or went bust following that.

I'd hate to see NewsCorp go bust...... :rolleyes:

NewsCorp appears to be losing wads of cash as the public desert his tv stations and 'news'papers.

The worst U.S. recession since World War II battered ad sales at News Corp.’s TV stations, social-networking Web site MySpace and newspapers, which include the New York Post and the Sunday Times. Chairman and Chief Executive Rupert Murdoch said he plans to begin charging for access to all the company’s news Web sites this fiscal year, using WSJ.com as a model.

Oh Dear Mr Murdoch.

“The tumultuous and unprecedented change affecting the entire media sector, particularly at newspapers and broadcasters, cannot be ignored,†Murdoch said on a conference call. “The digital revolution has opened many new methods of distribution, but it has not made content free.â€

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=new...id=avIR4MBET2Ck

They can blame the recession, but I think there are more relevant reasons why the public are deserting the meeja.

All of this being one reason why the dreaded Murdoch so hates the BBC - its website is the world's best news site (one place where we are still the best in the World), and he would like to stop people using it for free. Of course, the other reason he hates it is because it's British, and he would like to get rid of as much Britishness as he could.

db

All of this being one reason why the dreaded Murdoch so hates the BBC - its website is the world's best news site (one place where we are still the best in the World), and he would like to stop people using it for free. Of course, the other reason he hates it is because it's British, and he would like to get rid of as much Britishness as he could.

db

Such egomaniacs all overlook the inevitable... mortality. A blessing in disguise!

Rupert Murdoch said he plans to begin charging for access to all the company’s news Web sites this fiscal year, using WSJ.com as a model.

Media has reached saturation point, and there is so much choice.

If RM had something of the quality of WSJ, then people might pay for it, er but he doesn't. :(

If RM had something of the quality of WSJ, then people might pay for it, er but he doesn't. :(

He has The Times, which is not what it was, but still has some clout.

db

I can't believe this will happen.

It is such an epic, imbecilic mistake just at the point where even the music industry is finally at last coming to terms with How Things Are.

I really hope it does happen though.

Who'd have thought one of our country's greatest enemies would sew the seeds of his own empire's demise? :lol:

Edited by Cogs

It is such an epic, imbecilic mistake just at the point where even the music industry is finally at last coming to terms with How Things Are.

Who'd have thought one of our country's greatest enemies would sew the seeds of his own empire's demise? :lol:

Same here. A few arrogant ar5eholes may get a rude awakening as to their actual importance on this planet.....

Care to share?

:lol:

It is just the most awful looking thing, a screaming, blaring spam fest. Utterly vile. It's the world we live in I suppose, spunk your resources on tat. Why? I could build a decent website in an afternoon using free software, why is myspace so bad?

Bebo can f off too, a disgrace.

Exactly why pay for someone elses political views.

Most people will only pay to read someone else mouthing their own prejudices back at them, thereby validating what they thought in the first place. This makes reading someone else's views a more useful exercise. Unless those opinions are Rupert Murdoch's, of course :D

db

Murdoch bought Dow Jones / WSJ in 2007. Other than that your post is 100% correct! ;)

this will hasten the flow from mainstream to alternative news sites/sources

hardly anyone will pay to read newscorp data when you could get similar stuff elsewhere for free

What I don't understand is that he's already tried charging for the Times and ended up working out that the revenue he got from the subs was less than the advertising revenue that he lost.

Ok so advertising revenue is down but surely that's just cyclical.

tim

I heard a boy on the radio this week say that News Corps real losses last year were about 2 billion.

I've also heard that they are carrying some pretty heavy debt baggage to boot.

Seeing the back of Murdoch will improve life in the UK by about 100%, in my unbiased estimate.