House Price Crash Forum
Y-QUERK

House Price Boom Starts Again

I do believe the editor of the express is none other than sibley

But hurraah, boom time is here again, now get down the EA's and get yourself a property son, property always goes up like i told ya...

Guest joeschmo
2009-08-06.jpg

well thats the Tory press for you trying to get Gordon re elected again (oh hang on something wrong with that statement ^_^ )

Edited by joeschmo

2009-08-06.jpg

Today's headlines are not going to be good reading for bears.

Guardian: New Hope that UK pulling our of recession

The Times: Britain on the cusp of economic fightback

The Telegraph: House prices forecast to end year on a high

FT: Boost for Lloyds as bad debts hit peak

Daily Star: Jordan Names the Day (Actual day for the end of recession I believe, but I could be wrong)

Fortitude is required in the face of this kind of onslaught.

Now, I'm not saying the Express is wrong but would I be at all uncharitable to suggest that their headlines have a certain rabid je ne sais quoi?

Here are (as many as I could find) of their headlines Dating from yesterday back to Saturday 4th July.

omega 3 is the secret of long life (yesterday)

Britain's bouncing back to wealth

labour's £186bn benefits madness

new bride killed by sunbed

oxygen kills cancer

house prices up for third month

organic food no healthier

foreign spongers scandal by judge

how exercise beats cancer

get £500 to spy on neighbours

don't let him die in vain (army story)

jacko doctor facing death probe

migrants man swine flu helpline

fears over new swine flu phoneline

1,000 homes a month facing tax rise

swine flu threat to holidays

swine flu will kill 350 people every day

holiday hell on the roads (roadworks)

now swine flu panic sweeps Britain

Britain's flu deaths double

the £77.50 passport

100 danger men on loose

coffee stops alzheimer's

will maddy now be found?

jacko's golden goodbye (he'll be buried like tutankhamun) Sat 4 July

(these are all genuine I promise you.)

See if you can spot the, shall we say, frenzied leitmotifs?

Oh wake up, 200,000 people + are losing their jobs EACH quarter.

Whilst unemployment RISES there will be no return to the boom, I'm not worried about this in the slightest.

House prices going up = recovery. Just how stupid has this nation become. Oh, woman pays £88,000 on £500 debt.

Ever since I started posting on here I've been ridiculed.

I went against all the doom and gloomers claiming 90% drops were round the corner. Eric was even more than that wasn't he and claimed hero status on here. :lol:

It was never going to happen because.

A. People knew this was only a blip. They didn't panic and try to sell their property. Fair enough if you could trade up at the same discount but everyone sat tight causing the brikar mortis situation.

B. You needed mass repossessions.

When you started hyping a crash the safety nets were not available to homeowners like there are now. They changed the rules on you.

C. The banks started lending.

With the QE measures that really was the last nail in the coffin for you.

You might have gotten your dream but the government change the rules. Moved the goalposts if you like.

I for one am glad they did. I wouldn't have liked to see you get your bargain house with the price being the UK went down the drain.

Also how on earth could you sit on here every night being so smug?

Not everyone in the UK lost their jobs. You haven't so why do you think every homeowner has?

I can tell you if you own a home right now the interest rates are making you happy. Even if they go up to 6% it's only what they were a year or so ago. Big deal. We paid it then without stress and we could do it again.

Another thing.

If a homeowner got in trouble what was the problem with renting the place out?

Rents didn't drop and most nice places I see available are letted instantly.

Come on. You had a try. It's over.

Every homeowner who was even thinking of selling cheap won't dream of it now. Every time there is a headline like this it's a shot in the arm for sellers.

You should be ridiculed, especially if you believe the express. This slump isn't over, it's only just begun!

Ever since I started posting on here I've been ridiculed.

I went against all the doom and gloomers claiming 90% drops were round the corner. Eric was even more than that wasn't he and claimed hero status on here. :lol:

It was never going to happen because.

A. People knew this was only a blip. They didn't panic and try to sell their property. Fair enough if you could trade up at the same discount but everyone sat tight causing the brikar mortis situation.

B. You needed mass repossessions.

When you started hyping a crash the safety nets were not available to homeowners like there are now. They changed the rules on you.

C. The banks started lending.

With the QE measures that really was the last nail in the coffin for you.

You might have gotten your dream but the government change the rules. Moved the goalposts if you like.

I for one am glad they did. I wouldn't have liked to see you get your bargain house with the price being the UK went down the drain.

Also how on earth could you sit on here every night being so smug?

Not everyone in the UK lost their jobs. You haven't so why do you think every homeowner has?

I can tell you if you own a home right now the interest rates are making you happy. Even if they go up to 6% it's only what they were a year or so ago. Big deal. We paid it then without stress and we could do it again.

Another thing.

If a homeowner got in trouble what was the problem with renting the place out?

Rents didn't drop and most nice places I see available are letted instantly.

Come on. You had a try. It's over.

Every homeowner who was even thinking of selling cheap won't dream of it now. Every time there is a headline like this it's a shot in the arm for sellers.

Maybe a shot in the arm for the sellers, but unfortunately, the buyers keep on getting kicked in the head. So, the joy will be short lived. Roll on tomorrow's news.

Yep will be a veritable bull feast today - plenty of positive news around.

Im seeing people now more happy spending, few months back city seemed fairly quiet after work where as last couple of weeks you only have to walk past poultry to see the queues of people going to wine and dine at Coq d'Argent all night.

Additionally was speaking to a colleague and their house sale is receiving sealed bids. Can not speak for the rest of the country but there is a real lack of quality housing in London right now so i was not really to surprised to hear this.

Morning Sibley :)

My view for what it`s worth and I will add that I have bought a house.

It is half time. You are losing about 3-1 but you finished the half strong. The fact that you scored a goal on 44 minutes does not mean that the game is over.

You can not claim victory at this point. You are still losing and there is a strong possibilty that in the second half you are going to get slaughtered.

People are mocking you because they know we are only half way in and you are engraving your name on the trophy.

There is a chance that you could keep the score respectable but over the course of the second half your star striker Mr Q Easing will come off injured to be replaced by Further rising unemployment and then the game will be truly up.

an old football song now.....

"You only sing when your winning"

The reason you make me smile sibbers is that you sing when your losing and I admire that.

In a way you are like those fat Newcastle supporters with tops off in freezing conditions standing by your team, singing away even though you know you are going to get tonked.

Funny old game B)

Guest The Relaxation Suite
2009-08-06.jpg

Of course house prices are forecast to end on a high - we haven't had the autumn Crash II yet, and all these prats care about is selling papers.

Today's headlines are not going to be good reading for bears.

Guardian: New Hope that UK pulling our of recession

The Times: Britain on the cusp of economic fightback

The Telegraph: House prices forecast to end year on a high

FT: Boost for Lloyds as bad debts hit peak

Daily Star: Jordan Names the Day (Actual day for the end of recession I believe, but I could be wrong)

Fortitude is required in the face of this kind of onslaught.

Now, I'm not saying the Express is wrong but would I be at all uncharitable to suggest that their headlines have a certain rabid je ne sais quoi?

Here are (as many as I could find) of their headlines Dating from yesterday back to Saturday 4th July.

omega 3 is the secret of long life (yesterday)

Britain's bouncing back to wealth

labour's £186bn benefits madness

new bride killed by sunbed

oxygen kills cancer

house prices up for third month

organic food no healthier

foreign spongers scandal by judge

how exercise beats cancer

get £500 to spy on neighbours

don't let him die in vain (army story)

jacko doctor facing death probe

migrants man swine flu helpline

fears over new swine flu phoneline

1,000 homes a month facing tax rise

swine flu threat to holidays

swine flu will kill 350 people every day

holiday hell on the roads (roadworks)

now swine flu panic sweeps Britain

Britain's flu deaths double

the £77.50 passport

100 danger men on loose

coffee stops alzheimer's

will maddy now be found?

jacko's golden goodbye (he'll be buried like tutankhamun) Sat 4 July

(these are all genuine I promise you.)

See if you can spot the, shall we say, frenzied leitmotifs?

many, `many` years ago on newsnight `Paxo` at the end of the program would read out the front pages of tommorrows papers, usual dull stuff in the broadsheets till he came to his last paper The Sun.. and without a blink said its headline

`RANDY VIP IN BID TO BED MRS T`

.. still makes me smile

We're not even twelve months from the day the UK's banks almost crashed taking the world financial system with it yet tonight the bulls are gonna party like its 1999. Sibley, you deserve ridicule because of your simple-minded hubris. With all the precedented measures taken - record low interest rates, QE and underwriting, you'd expect a recovery of sorts, but that's got to be paid for and that begins in earnest once the election is out of the way.

Edited by Dave Spart

great stuff all the property that hasnt sold / been rented out as a consequence etc etc is about to hit the market

cannae wait

oh im in northern ireland. this part of the world is fecked regardless (we hit 11xearnings at peak)

I always ask this question and never get the answer. If we're returning to house price growth, where are people going to get the money from to pay prices at 6-7x average salary?

Er, you seem to have lost sight of the fact - like many others - that it the housing market started its decline because interest rates went up to 5.75%.

Morning Sibley :)

My view for what it`s worth and I will add that I have bought a house.

It is half time. You are losing about 3-1 but you finished the half strong. The fact that you scored a goal on 44 minutes does not mean that the game is over.

You can not claim victory at this point. You are still losing and there is a strong possibilty that in the second half you are going to get slaughtered.

People are mocking you because they know we are only half way in and you are engraving your name on the trophy.

There is a chance that you could keep the score respectable but over the course of the second half your star striker Mr Q Easing will come off injured to be replaced by Further rising unemployment and then the game will be truly up.

an old football song now.....

"You only sing when your winning"

The reason you make me smile sibbers is that you sing when your losing and I admire that.

In a way you are like those fat Newcastle supporters with tops off in freezing conditions standing by your team, singing away even though you know you are going to get tonked.

Funny old game B)

:lol::lol::lol: Quality

Oh well, guess sibbers is right.

Another tripling of house prices in the next decade.

I look forward to buying for 24x salary...

I'm keeping my sig out of fair play to any bull willing to make a prediction, will see what the situation is like by year end, if the prices are still rising then HPC has to go back to the drawing board to figure things out again.

I'm personally reasonably sure of a bull trap. Happening with stocks and the pound so no reason that it shouldn't be reflected in house prices too.

Edited by DementedTuna

No one appears to have noticed that the Express sub headline states "since bubble burst". Bubbles are good children, invest in bubbles.

You can tell me that, and you would be completely wrong.

Why would a home owner welocme low interest rates ? I own my home, and therefore have managed to save a fair amount of money by not having to pay a mortgage. Low interest rates aren`t making me very happy (although not having a monthly mortgage payment is rather nice).

Meanwhile, because I can`t spend my bricks and mortar, the apparent recent rise in the value of my home doesn`t make me feel any better off.

Sibley, you are misleading.

Oh come on - what's wrong with people? House prices are falling, falling a lot. At least another 20% (from peak) too come off yet. It'll be years before they pick up. The last few months are an illusory aberration brought about by unsustainably low interest rates, stamp duty freeze, QE and a small number of people (volumes are low) who are mistaken.

The recession is still very much on. Unemployment is rising. The humungous debt hasn't even started to be paid back by increased taxes and reduced public spending yet.

It's just crazy talk to suggest that a 15 year boom and bubble followed by the worst global financial crash since the 30s (with the UK amongst the worst hit) will only lead to an 18 month house price crash which barely returns prices to trend.

Edited by clv101

Guest Skinty

A new boom is it? So a sustained increase for a number of years from now on is it? Another 11 years?

What price would your average house be in relation to your average wage then? Most FTB'ers have decided that they will never get on the housing ladder and prices haven't dropped enough to attract them on yet. So where is this money going to come from? From BTL'ers going bankrupt because rents aren't increasing in line with house prices? Home owners already squeezed by heavy tax burden, falling wages, low job security and already laden with person debt wanting to take out an even larger mortgage to upsize? Or will they just sit it out and wait?

Who's going to be buying these houses? I can think of:

Baby boomers downsizing and trying to pay off their MEWs and reduce their council tax.

Anyone else?

Smells to me like the escaping of the last remanent of trapped gas rather than a bubble.